Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Well I don't fully agree with that, but that sounds like they are more like peers than little siblings.

When I think of siblings I think of:
Atlanta/Charlotte
Los Angeles/San Diego
Dallas/OKC

Los Angeles, Houston, and Miami seem like they would compete with each other more. Not really a sibling thing to me.

If you just go by size I guess they'd be siblings.
I see what you're saying. But when I speak of size differences, I'm also talking about all that is directly related to that (GDP, amenities, transit, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 12:24 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I see what you're saying. But when I speak of size differences, I'm also talking about all that is directly related to that (GDP, amenities, transit, etc.).
I know what you mean too, like they have everything on a smaller scale then L.A., but I just see them competing with each other more.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:26 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Although I've never been to San Fransisco, I've always thought it was similar to my city, Rochester. We both have the "bay" bridge, we also have the huge Finger Lakes wine region, lots of liberal thinkers and artsy types, as well as lot's of capitalists and high tech businesses. Both, very water oriented and gay friendly, and despite all the bad press about upstate NY, Rochester (metro) currently has the largest population it's ever had.

SanFran--Rochester? Lol, what a COMPLETELY absurd comparison.

My turn: Brownsville, TX-- Los Angeles, Ca

Old 08-21-2010, 12:32 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Boston, NYC, Philly & DC are all Baltimore's sisters, but they dont bang with her, and she dont bang with them.

sisters shouldn't be banging eachother anyway.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:11 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Boston (Marsha Brady) - Providence RI (Jan Brady) , Portland Maine (Cindy Brady)

If Seattle and Portland had a love child on the east coast it would be Burlington, VT

Boise is totally Salt Lake City's little morman sister

Old 08-21-2010, 03:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
Quote:

Los Angeles, Houston, and Miami seem like they would compete with each other more. Not really a sibling thing to me.

If you just go by size I guess they'd be siblings.
IMO, the L.A. basin, Houston's south side, and to a lesser extent Miami are all similar in development patterns and somewhat architecture. All 3 have hispanic influence and everything everybody above me posted. I don't know about how they compete with each other, but in terms of size and economically L.A. becomes big sister to the other two. Houston is the Jan of the family and Miami is the wild child.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:44 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
IMO, the L.A. basin, Houston's south side, and to a lesser extent Miami are all similar in development patterns and somewhat architecture. All 3 have hispanic influence and everything everybody above me posted. I don't know about how they compete with each other, but in terms of size and economically L.A. becomes big sister to the other two. Houston is the Jan of the family and Miami is the wild child.
You all are missing my point. I see the similarities but in my opinion that makes them more like peers, not siblings. More like you would compare those three with each other. When I think of siblings, I think differently.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Savannah and Charleston.

Very true; I pretty much came to the same conclusion when trying to think of a smaller match for STL.

True, but today I think one could make a better case for Atlanta/Charlotte.
I can see that as a little sister city for New Orleans. One is that all three are cultural hearths of the Deep South.

I figured another problem finding a larger or smaller metro that is similar to St. Louis is the development patterns and trends don't match well with any place. Basically they have some similarities but are missing important parts. Also the future trends of any city that can be compared with often are diverging ones.

The Atlanta/Charlotte one works, but it looking more like Nashville and Raleigh can be added as well with an increasing list over time.

Someone mentioned LA/Miami. One similarity that has to be mentioned is that both places can't sprawl anymore due to physical barriers and has to build up now.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
SanFran--Rochester? Lol, what a COMPLETELY absurd comparison.

My turn: Brownsville, TX-- Los Angeles, Ca
Um...
Quote:
Lol, what a COMPLETELY absurd comparison.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
You all are missing my point. I see the similarities but in my opinion that makes them more like peers, not siblings. More like you would compare those three with each other. When I think of siblings, I think differently.
I defined what I meant by big sister/little sister cities in the title of the thread: similar cities of different size or cities that have similar DNA but are obviously on different levels/tiers (i.e., Atlanta and Charlotte).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City