Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:19 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,298,588 times

Advertisements

Charlotte-Raleigh? jk.

But Phoenix and ABQ I think is a good one. I also agree with Dallas and OKC. Here's a few I can think of.
DC-Richmond
LA-San Diego
Bay Area-Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 AM

77 posts, read 200,215 times
New York - Chicago
Los Angeles - Miami
San Francisco - Honolulu
Atlanta - Charlotte
Detroit - Cleveland
Boston - Providence
New Orleans - Charleston
Austin - Madison
Phoenix - Albuquerque
San Jose (Silicon Valley) - Raleigh (Research Triangle)
Denver - Salt Lake City
Seattle - Portland
Las Vegas - Atlantic City
Dallas - Oklahoma City
Philadelphia - Baltimore
Indianapolis - Louisville
St. Louis - Memphis

Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM

353 posts, read 656,104 times
I think Phoenix-Vegas is much better than Phx-Abq. Not sure why so many people think the areas are similar. They aren't. Albuquerque has much more in common with Tucson and El Paso than it does with Phoenix. Albuquerque and Tucson are like siblings. Phoenix and Albuquerqe would be like cousins but not that close.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
I think Phoenix-Vegas is much better than Phx-Abq. Not sure why so many people think the areas are similar. They aren't. Albuquerque has much more in common with Tucson and El Paso than it does with Phoenix. Albuquerque and Tucson are like siblings. Phoenix and Albuquerqe would be like cousins but not that close.
ABQ is another major city in the desert Southwest bringing the cities in close proximity to each other. This thread is about bigger-smaller city siblings and not exactly peer. This is probably why ABQ and Phoenix are lumped. When I was living in ABQ, there were quite some comparisons between the two.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Fran Babe View Post
New York - Chicago
Los Angeles - Miami
San Francisco - Honolulu
Atlanta - Charlotte
Detroit - Cleveland
Boston - Providence
New Orleans - Charleston
Austin - Madison
Phoenix - Albuquerque
San Jose (Silicon Valley) - Raleigh (Research Triangle)
Denver - Salt Lake City
Seattle - Portland
Las Vegas - Atlantic City
Dallas - Oklahoma City
Philadelphia - Baltimore
Indianapolis - Louisville
St. Louis - Memphis
I think all of your suggestions are extremely plausible and quite accurate, with the exception of NYC and Chicago. I think Chicago is too big to be a smaller sibling, even if its the ginormity of NYC. But I really like the Silicon Valley and RTP comparison. The ones in bold I also find intriguing especially Madison and Austin, as well as St.Louis and Memphis; the Mississippi crown cities.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:13 PM

353 posts, read 656,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
ABQ is another major city in the desert Southwest bringing the cities in close proximity to each other. This thread is about bigger-smaller city siblings and not exactly peer. This is probably why ABQ and Phoenix are lumped. When I was living in ABQ, there were quite some comparisons between the two.
I think they are in relative proximity as far as a broader region but I've never thought of Phx and Abq. being in the same immediate region. Maybe I'm in the minority but I just feel Phoenix is closer to the west coast and Vegas than our neighbors to the east. I've always thought of Abq. in the same context as Denver or SLC. They are in the same greater region but not the same immediate region as Phoenix.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
OK so we have the peer city thread; now, which cities have obvious size differences but could pass for big sister/little sister cities?
Houston/Dallas

Los Angeles/Houston

New Orleans/Galveston

New York City/Chicago

New York City/Philadelphia

Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston/Dallas
Surely you can't be serious, LOL. They are practically the same size.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Surely you can't be serious, LOL. They are practically the same size.
Uhh yes I'm dead serious.

Dallas is less than half the size of Houston. San Antonio is even larger than Dallas.

Now if we're talking metros thats a whole other story, but we're talking city proper here.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-24-2010 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 03:32 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think all of your suggestions are extremely plausible and quite accurate, with the exception of NYC and Chicago. I think Chicago is too big to be a smaller sibling, even if its the ginormity of NYC. But I really like the Silicon Valley and RTP comparison. The ones in bold I also find intriguing especially Madison and Austin, as well as St.Louis and Memphis; the Mississippi crown cities.
St. Louis & Memphis aren't siblings... more like cousins. St. Louis is the Northern cousin, Memphis is the Southern cousin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City