Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 03:12 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times

Advertisements

The title of the thread basically asks my question. Which cities do children actually go outdoors to play football, basketball, baseball, ride bikes, play manhunt, Climb trees, jump Rope, Box ball, Burn Ball, build forts in the neighborhood with tents or in the wooded area around a neighborhood, or any other outdoor activities?

Just curious to see in what areas of the country do the children spend time outdoors the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
The title of the thread basically asks my question. Which cities do children actually go outdoors to play football, basketball, baseball, ride bikes, play manhunt, Climb trees, jump Rope, Box ball, Burn Ball, build forts in the neighborhood with tents or in the wooded area around a neighborhood, or any other outdoor activities?

Just curious to see in what areas of the country do the children spend time outdoors the most.
Kids do all the above here, with the exception to "Burn Ball" never heard of that one. You can add going to the beach and swimming, fishing, canoeing, hiking, and playing "Tarzan" on the wild grape vines in the woods around town as some of the main activities as well.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:23 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:

Kids do the bolded things here. I have no clue what Burn Ball is and I don't know too many people who would wonder into a wooded area. You'd have to be far out to have access to the woods anyway.

I think that any place that has enough children will have more than its share of these activities.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Kids do the bolded things here. I have no clue what Burn Ball is and I don't know too many people who would wonder into a wooded area. You'd have to be far out to have access to the woods anyway.

I think that any place that has enough children will have more than its share of these activities.
I don't know really if that's totally true. I moved from Orlando and saw kids playing basketball outside all the time and at the parks playing football and on the residential streets playing football to a lot before I moved last year and also I grew up in Miami and every time I went back to visit I would see groups of kids doing things outside. I moved here to Nashville last year and it's pretty dead as far as seeing kids in my apartment complex playing basketball or doing anything outside....and as I drive around town here I really don't notice the same things I did when I was in Florida. I 'm sure kids are out sometimes up here but where I came from you would see them outside all the time. I just don't see that up here in Nashville really. Maybe it's all the hills or something.

p.s. - you probably called it something else but burn ball is a game we played in Miami when I was a kid where you throw a tennis ball off of a wall and if the person that tries to catch it touches the ball and drops it then they have to run up to the wall and tag it before someone hits them with the ball. If you got hit 3 times then you would have to stand facing the wall and the person that hit you the 3rd time got a free shot at you and got to throw the ball and hit you anywhere on the back of your body while you faced the wall.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Kids do all the above here, with the exception to "Burn Ball" never heard of that one. You can add going to the beach and swimming, fishing, canoeing, hiking, and playing "Tarzan" on the wild grape vines in the woods around town as some of the main activities as well.
Thanks for the response and I just posted what burn ball is above here in another response just incase you wanted to look at that. What city do you live in by the way?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
What city do you live in by the way?
West side of Michigan, all the towns and small cities are pretty much alike when it comes to kids playing outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City