Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:24 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times

Advertisements

it might depend on age? flip flops aren't allowed in a lot of office settings so mon-fri most women that i come across are wearing something they can go to work in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 03:41 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,723 times
Here in the Portland area, women wear flip-flops every chance they get, especially during the dry season from about mid-June to September, but they will certainly wear them during the winter if they can get away with it. Most of the men wear sneakers like normal. Every time I go to the airport, I see hundreds of women in flip-flops, but not that many men.

I recently returned from a trip to Columbus, OH, and during an outing to a local Kroger, I only saw ONE woman who was not an employee who wasn't wearing flip-flops. And we're talking about well over one hundred women in the store. All of the men however, were wearing normal sneakers, except for one who was wearing strap-on sandals. Something else to note is that nearly all of the women who were wearing flip-flops were also wearing shorts. Most of them men were wearing either jeans or khaki pants.

My experience leads me to believe that flip-flops are primarily a female thing, at least in certain areas. I wonder why this is? It is a social thing? Do they feel pressured to wear them because it is the fashionable summer thing to do? Or are women's feet more sensitive to heat and/or chafing than men's, so they stop wearing shoes any chance they get? Come to think of it, I have had quite a few women tell me that they can't stand the feel of socks and shoes confining their feet...

I feel differently, of course. There is nothing like a good pair of socks, and there is no way I am going to be walking on hard pavement all day in something that provides no support or protection at all.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 08-22-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 03:58 PM

244 posts, read 567,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
I'm pretty sure every city is after this thread, NYC is as flip flop as everywhere else lol.

I see more females with sneakers than pumps, you can only wear those for so long. Flip flops/sandals are tied with sneakers.
I rarely see flip flops in Manhattan.

I see sandals, but not flip flops.

The only people who wear flip flops in Manhattan seem to be tourists from Podunk.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:02 PM

650 posts, read 1,326,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
I rarely see flip flops in Manhattan.

I see sandals, but not flip flops.

The only people who wear flip flops in Manhattan seem to be tourists from Podunk.
Manhattan =/= NYC (I'm jacking eek's word thing here)

But you're probably right about Manhattan, I'm never there so I wouldn't know.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:13 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Here in the Portland area, women wear flip-flops every chance they get, especially during the dry season from about mid-June to September, but they will certainly wear them during the winter if they can get away with it. Most of the men wear sneakers like normal. Every time I go to the airport, I see hundreds of women in flip-flops, but not that many men.

I recently returned from a trip to Columbus, OH, and during an outing to a local Kroger, I only saw ONE woman who was not an employee who wasn't wearing flip-flops. And we're talking about well over one hundred women in the store. All of the men however, were wearing normal sneakers, except for one who was wearing strap-on sandals. Something else to note is that nearly all of the women who were wearing flip-flops were also wearing shorts. Most of them men were wearing either jeans or khaki pants.

My experience leads me to believe that flip-flops are primarily a female thing, at least in certain areas. I wonder why this is? It is a social thing? Do they feel pressured to wear them because it is the fashionable summer thing to do? Or are women's feet more sensitive to heat and/or chafing than men's, so they stop wearing shoes any chance they get? Come to think of it, I have had quite a few women tell me that they can't stand the feel of socks and shoes confining their feet...

I feel differently, of course. There is nothing like a good pair of socks, and there is no way I am going to be walking on hard pavement all day in something that provides no support or protection at all.
I'm not surprised by your observations since women are more likely to wear shoes that show their feet. Most shoes women wear [high heels\ pumps\ sandals, etc.] are open toe. In California men also wear flip flops quite a bit; Asian men and women are an example of people who regularly wear flip flops. Naturally, anywhere near the beach will have high numbers of people wearing flip flops. But in clubs I think women are more likely to wear flip flops than men even in Los Angeles. Sneakers without socks are more popular with men at least at night and in clubs.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:13 PM

224 posts, read 604,693 times
flip flops are common in the bay area

Old 08-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
flip flops are common in the bay area
But I've noticed that flip flops aren't that noticeable in San Francisco. Maybe because of the steep hills; a person can't get good traction wearing flip flops.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Flip flops are big in both Las Vegas and in SE MI (in the summer anyway.) I see both men and women wearing them, but the majority are women. I have seen women who's feet are equally as bad as men's. Eww. Get a pedi, if you are going bare or at least do it yourself!!

Old 08-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Flip flops are big in both Las Vegas and in SE MI (in the summer anyway.) I see both men and women wearing them, but the majority are women. I have seen women who's feet are equally as bad as men's. Eww. Get a pedi, if you are going bare or at least do it yourself!!
Women, for the most part, take care of their feet. How many men get a pedicure? Maybe less than 1%. Dirty feet are a turn-off. And men have hairy feet with big ugly toes!

Old 08-22-2010, 05:18 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
long island =/= nyc tho.

from my own personal exp, females rock pumps or flats/sandals in the spring/summer. even teenage girls rocking pumps year round, for the most part.
Now I just know you are insane and I won't bother with your posts anymore. Well I probably will but just to point out absurdities like this.

Yeah, I am sure all the girls in HS are wearing pumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City