Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 15,168 times

Advertisements

We've been in Palm Springs for about 6 years and are looking to move to either Bend Oregon or Chico.

We miss the change of seasons and are looking for some place a little more affordable with more to do outdoors.

We're in our forties, no kids, work from our computer, and enjoy going out at night for drinks and dinner, skiing, fishing, etc.

Our concern is that we keep hearing Chico is a party place for the college crowd, slightly remote, and has winter fog. Also, I noticed that it has a 24% poverty level.

Bend looked more affordable for the rental market and seemed to be a little more "upscale." At least both have a Trader Joe's, farmer's market, and Bend has a wholefoods.

Does anybody have an opinion on one over the other?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Are you talking Chico, California?

Because Chico Oregon is literally a ghost town. Actually it's more of a flat place in the middle of nowhere with no remains of any buildings. It'd be a nice place to visit, but living there would be a bit of an issue. The unemployment rate might be a bit over 24% too

Old 08-22-2010, 05:05 PM

478 posts, read 784,871 times
I've never been to Chico OR, or Chico CA. I was in Bend a few years and was sad to leave because jobs were hard to come by (that was in April of last year).

I love Bend. A thing that's both good and bad about Bend is that if you want any city life bigger than Bend's, you have to go a long, long way. If city things are not that important to you, central Oregon is fantastic. If you want an even quieter life with more room around you and still not that far from Bend, you might consider Prineville, which is also gorgeous. The higher elevations south of town are a little less dry, which I like.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:27 PM

21 posts, read 87,961 times
I am familiar with Chico CA as my nephew attend college there and I visited often. I would opt for Bend based on how you described yourselves and interest. I think the cost of living less in bend and I think you get what Chico offers and more

Old 08-23-2010, 02:08 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Interesting contrast. I like both.

I have lived in Chico, and I have visited Bend frequently. Bend has a slightly more majestic setting, a lot of recent sprawl, and equity rich transplants. Chico has a college and history, and lovely shaded neighborhoods, and equity rich transplants. Summers are hot in Chico, but not as bad as Palm Springs, and winters cold in Bend. You might find the nights to be a huge shock in Bend. The town has a very short growing season, and that makes gardening tough. However, Bend has Mount Bachelor, which is the best ski resort in the Pacific Northwest, IMO. Better thunderstorms in Bend.

Although Chico students do like to party, the town has a wonderful energy that goes well beyond that. It is a lively town of smart, interesting people who are informed, engaged, and also very down to earth. My impression is that Bend is more of a hipster place for exurban folks to be seen shredding on the slopes and spending a lot on gore tex, coffee, McMansions, etc. Kind of like Boulder, CO/ Don't get me wrong, most Bendites are probably very cool, but I think it has more posing and folks sipping lattes in hummers there than in Chico, if that is a concern.

In summary, both are pretty darn nice large towns and well worth a visit. I would definitely plan a road trip!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:27 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
If I had to choose, I'd choose Chico. The university has had the party-school reputation for at least thirty years. I'd say it's mostly myth.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
Oh yeah. Bend upscale? Parts. But Bend's old nickname - coming back with a vengeance - is "Poverty with a View." People actually cut firewood in the forest to heat their places.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Well, I love Chico, but the party reputation is earned. But I ask you all, have you ever met college students, or for that matter young kids anywhere, that did not party? Ok, maybe CalTech and MIT, but that is not fair, they don't know how. I do recall when I blew into town as a 30 something a few moons ago, they had progressive pitchers of Sierra Nevada, starting at $2.00 and going up 25 cents every half hour until the bars closed. Hard to resist that one.....

So, sure, some kids party, don't live in those neighborhoods, but the town also has Bidwell Park, a regional treasure with a river flowing through town and an outdoor river swimming pool, the Sacramento River 6 miles away, Lassen Park and the Feather River Canyon out the back door, the Klamath Mtns., righteous home grown rock and bluegrass music most days of the week, friendly people, the Ishi Wilderness, and just a hell of a lot of soul.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Oh yeah. Bend upscale? Parts. But Bend's old nickname - coming back with a vengeance - is "Poverty with a View." People actually cut firewood in the forest to heat their places.
Yup, this describes Bend pretty darn well. I find Bend to have a pretty good mix of people from all walks of life. There are definitely the rich, latte sipping, hummer driving, mcmansion living types, but I think the blue collar, hard working type is actually more common these days. I've never been to Chico though, so I can't compare.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:16 PM

21 posts, read 43,940 times
As someone from Palm Springs who just got back from Bend. I ran into a realotor from Chico. as I have never been to Chico but I have to been to Bend. Bend is amazing and the guy chose it over his home woth to raise his kids..
if you got a good job or $ you will love it in OR. I have a thread on here about bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City