Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:25 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Cleavor angle for one, yes the tall in the middle is pretty far from midtown on the left, and yes it is very linear and no not as cohesive as many other cities and seperated but pretty large distances
What I thought would happen.

That whole area looks like this.

South of BofA Tower (the big one in the middle that OMG2010 posted.

Area around BofA

From far away, all you'll notice is the big one sticking out, but in the actual neighborhood it is cohesive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Nice pics waronxmas.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Pretty interesting report from the Brookings Institute on Downtowns

This was their table from page 15 in this link titled "Who Lives Downtown" http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...1115_Birch.pdf many good stats

Table 9. Downtown Typologies
Fully-Developed
Boston
Chicago
Lower Manhattan
Midtown Manhattan
Philadelphia

Emerging Downtowns
Atlanta
Baltimore
Charlotte
Cleveland
Denver
Los Angelos
Memphis
New Orleans
Norfolk
Portland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle

Downtowns the Edge of Takeoff
Chattanoga
Dallas
Miami
Milwaukee
DC
Interesting find, I'll have to read it later to get all the details. Brookings usually produces good stuff, but several on the "emerging list" seem odd. Especially San Francisco and Seattle. They seem to have fully developed "downtowns".

Old 08-23-2010, 01:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
So what area is BOA in, thought that was technically still downtown, also yes it is very linear, and why back on point would the two areas be combined when no other cities are judged this way, great there are multiple skylines, well established. But back to the point, why are the rules different for Atlanta?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Interesting find, I'll have to read it later to get all the details. Brookings usually produces good stuff, but several on the "emerging list" seem odd. Especially San Francisco and Seattle. They seem to have fully developed "downtowns".

Yes SF jumped at me too (also DC at the next level lower), also on quick review it looks like Houston was excluded in much (think they cut off at some population level plus some of the data is using 2000 census counts, need to give it a more thorough read, but some good income and education stats etc. looks pretty interesting and lots of good metrics for many cities.

but looks like a good read overall

Old 08-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
So what area is BOA in, thought that was technically still downtown, also yes it is very linear, and why back on point would the two areas be combined when no other cities are judged this way, great there are multiple skylines, well established.
That is the biggest debate in the world. Some people will tell you it's in Midtown, others will say it is in Downtown. It's right on the dividing line between the two districts so both have merits. The real answer, it is in SoNo

Quote:
But back to the point, why are the rules different for Atlanta?
They aren't, the explanation of how it came to be and why it is the way it is just different. Besides, there aren't any rules for what exactly constitutes a "Downtown" or CBD.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Pretty interesting report from the Brookings Institute on Downtowns

This was their table from page 15 in this link titled "Who Lives Downtown" http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...1115_Birch.pdf many good stats

I thought this was interesting, one of the conclusions of Brookings on downtowns from the above link on a cities downtown

"Density Choices
Density matters. In general, the evidence
suggests that there is a relationship
between density and the ability to
attract downtown residents. While a
city with a substantial amount of
vacant or underutilized land might be
tempted to allow low-density residential
construction—in order to encourage
any investment at all—this would
likely be a mistake. Producing lowdensity
suburban models squanders
the market advantages of centrally
located real estate that many downtown
dwellers value—namely accessibility
to jobs, walkability, and an urban
quality of life—and limits the ability to
support the very services, facilities,
and amenities that determine downtown
character.24 In addition, low-density
development underutilizes existing
infrastructure, including streets, water,
parks, and transit systems."

Old 08-23-2010, 03:26 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Clevor angle for one, yes the tall in the middle is pretty far from midtown on the left, and yes it is very linear and no not as cohesive as many other cities and seperated but pretty large distances

The Tall building is not far from Midtown the street behind it is where Midtown begins. There is alot of infill there just not Tall infill..

Old 08-23-2010, 05:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Yes SF jumped at me too (also DC at the next level lower), also on quick review it looks like Houston was excluded in much (think they cut off at some population level plus some of the data is using 2000 census counts, need to give it a more thorough read, but some good income and education stats etc. looks pretty interesting and lots of good metrics for many cities.

but looks like a good read overall
Real good read, but I'll be interested to see if they put together an updated version for 2010, when the numbers are out.

It looks like San Fran is on a lower level than we expect, given the population numbers being in the 43k that live in the city. They seem to judge these tiers of downtown typography based on the size of the downtown population, household growth (number of households) and rates of household ownership. Although this tells a certain story, I'm not sure that it definitively suggests how much a downtown has truly emerged. I guess you could say number of households + metro health + household ownership builds urban density (aka foot traffic) and increased amenities, but I think there are other measures.

I'm also interested in Houston's numbers. It's hard for me to believe that Mesa, Jackson, etc. made it, but Houston didn't...???

Old 08-23-2010, 05:47 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Real good read, but I'll be interested to see if they put together an updated version for 2010, when the numbers are out.

It looks like San Fran is on a lower level than we expect, given the population numbers being in the 43k that live in the city. They seem to judge these tiers of downtown typography based on the size of the downtown population, household growth (number of households) and rates of household ownership. Although this tells a certain story, I'm not sure that it definitively suggests how much a downtown has truly emerged. I guess you could say number of households + metro health + household ownership builds urban density (aka foot traffic) and increased amenities, but I think there are other measures.

I'm also interested in Houston's numbers. It's hard for me to believe that Mesa, Jackson, etc. made it, but Houston didn't...???
They must have a different definition of "Downtown San Francisco" than your average SF resident then...here's a very close representation of downtown SF using census tracts (outlined in red):

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4139/downtownsf.jpg (broken link)

^that's around 2-3 square miles, and includes the Financial District, Union Square, the Tenderloin, Civic Center, Nob Hill, parts of SOMA, and parts of Chinatown.

the included tracts + populations:

105 - 2,217
112 - 3,700
113 - 3,264
114 - 3,175
115 - 759
117 - 1,747
118 - 1,528
119 - 5,243
120 - 3,972
121 - 3,462
122 - 7,035
123 - 6,205
124 - 8,188
125 - 7,727
176.01 - 5,756
176.02 - 534
178 - 5,829
179.01 - 5,408

total: 75,749

As you can see, the population is nearly twice what brookings counted. These stats I posted are from 2000 also, so downtown SF's population is definitely higher now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City