U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 PM

5,841 posts, read 6,921,818 times

Advertisements

I used to drive truck over the road and I can agree with many posters in here about both Virginia and Ohio. They are the worst of the worst, dowright thieves. Sometimes it looks as if there is more cops than people in those states. Maryland, Massachusetts, Kentucky and Texas are all really bad as well. The more leinent states tend to be out west (California the exception) and to some extent the midwest as well (Ohio the exception here). Maryland is really tricky because they use cameras more than almost any other state does. Who needs a cop when big brother technology can be used to steal from you with full support of the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 PM

12,994 posts, read 17,122,083 times
Maybe it's just me, but from my own anecdotal evidence, Pennsylvania isn't nearly as vigilant as any of the states around it, particularly Ohio, West Virginia and Maryland. Yeah, the fines in Pennsylvania are steep, but the enforcement seems to be lax compared to nearby states. Anybody who travels regularly through that region of the country care to verify this?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
Maybe things have changed since then but when I lived in PA about 10-12 years ago the state troopers were absolute vultures. When I lived there, just doing 5 over on the expressways in and around Pittsburgh was enough to elicit dirty looks from the locals as if I were driving so recklessly as to endanger the life and limb of every motorist within a half-mile radius. I've never been in a city with more pokey-ass drivers in my life. Nobody's in any hurry to get anywhere in that town. It was like trying to drive through tar pits in a time-dilation field.

And maybe this has changed again, but back then the only agency allowed to run radar or LIDAR (which was extremely rare back then) were the state troopers. So the city cops ran VASCAR all the time. And they'd even occasionally catch people. I never figured out how it was that people could get caught even when there's white lines painted on the street to alert them of where the enforcement zones were.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe things have changed since then but when I lived in PA about 10-12 years ago the state troopers were absolute vultures. When I lived there, just doing 5 over on the expressways in and around Pittsburgh was enough to elicit dirty looks from the locals as if I were driving so recklessly as to endanger the life and limb of every motorist within a half-mile radius. I've never been in a city with more pokey-ass drivers in my life. Nobody's in any hurry to get anywhere in that town. It was like trying to drive through tar pits in a time-dilation field.

And maybe this has changed again, but back then the only agency allowed to run radar or LIDAR (which was extremely rare back then) were the state troopers. So the city cops ran VASCAR all the time. And they'd even occasionally catch people. I never figured out how it was that people could get caught even when there's white lines painted on the street to alert them of where the enforcement zones were.
Interesting.

I've driven as fast as 85 on I-79 without a problem, and as fast as 90 on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. No law enforcement to be seen.

I laugh at the local cops. They've been neutered. Same goes for Georgia; local cops can only pull you over if you're going 14+ over the speed limit. It probably prevents all the little pissant Podunk towns from running speed traps.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:38 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
Man, I'd never try to do 90 on the Turnpike. For one, it's just not a particularly safe road to be doing 90 on -- it certainly wasn't engineered for that kind of speed. For another.... the stigma of PA troopers as being ever-present everywhere still sticks in my mind even if that may not be the case any more.

But I'd still rather drive through Pennsylvania 5 times though than drive through Ohio once.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Man, I'd never try to do 90 on the Turnpike. For one, it's just not a particularly safe road to be doing 90 on -- it certainly wasn't engineered for that kind of speed. For another.... the stigma of PA troopers as being ever-present everywhere still sticks in my mind even if that may not be the case any more.

But I'd still rather drive through Pennsylvania 5 times though than drive through Ohio once.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Authority is reconstructing and widening large portions of the highway in western Pennsylvania. Eventually, everything from Cranberry to New Stanton will be six lanes and have a wider median. Currently, MM 31 to 38 and MM 67 to MM 75 are under construction, with the latter being farther along in the widening process. They've built a new bridge over the Allegheny River that can carry six lanes as well. I think the segment between the Allegheny River and Irwin (MM 48 to MM 67) is being delayed intentionally, though, so they can redesign the Pittsburgh interchange first (Exit 57).

They appear to be widening in eastern Pennsylvania too, although I think they might be a bit farther behind there. From what I've heard, everything from Blue Mountain to New Jersey will eventually be six lanes as well.

The tricky and expensive part will be between New Stanton and Blue Mountain. The Turnpike Authority has made it known that they want to replace the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel, either with a new tunnel or a bypass through a gap in the mountain. If they do that, then it wouldn't surprise me if everything between Cranberry and Breezewood gets six lanes. They need six lanes between New Stanton and Breezewood anyway since that segment of the Turnpike carries two Interstates at once (I-70/I-76).

Old 09-03-2010, 07:29 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,894,425 times
Virginia by far. Going up and down I-95, the worst part is going through Virginia. They even have helicopters clocking your speed at times.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 1,998,506 times
Definitely Virginia and Ohio. I've heard Maryland and Upstate New York are strict as well.

For those that mentioned Connecticut State Police I have to disagree. You can drive past them at 75 and they dont budge. Once you pass 80 then you're getting pulled over. The CT State Police is also the only state police agency in the country to drive ONLY unmarked cars. A majority of the cars are grey all around. The way you know it's a cop is by its lightbar but now all the lights are being installed within the interior. Cops in CT drive Crown Victoria's, Ford Taurus's, and Dodge Chargers. I've seen some Dodge Challengers and there's absolutely no way of knowing if it's a cop car or not unless the cop walks out of the car. Many of the unmarked cars here don't have any antennas or side mirror headlights. Good luck to those out of state drivers. The CT State Police pull over more out of state drivers than in state drivers.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:44 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,922,714 times
Well, this a deep bump for sure...

But to update this, I have noticed that CA is still out there strong, they love their black and whites and they are very prominent along CA freeways. You won't be noticed unless you go 80+ in a 70.

Oregon is almost non-existent. I don't know if it is a funding issue, but they are rare.

Washington is hit or miss. They are out there, but you can go a hundred miles with no enforcement, then run into 3-4 units within 10 miles. Teamwork!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:32 PM

2,685 posts, read 1,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Well, this a deep bump for sure...

But to update this, I have noticed that CA is still out there strong, they love their black and whites and they are very prominent along CA freeways. You won't be noticed unless you go 80+ in a 70.

Oregon is almost non-existent. I don't know if it is a funding issue, but they are rare.

Washington is hit or miss. They are out there, but you can go a hundred miles with no enforcement, then run into 3-4 units within 10 miles. Teamwork!
Yea you're right this is an old thread but nothing has changed. Virginia is still the top dog when it comes to being strict. I heard WSP is tough. The reason Oregon is rare because there's not a lot of Troopers. Last time I checked they had about 500-600 which is silly for a state about half the size of California. As for the CHP, they have a lot under their belt. That's a BIG state to cover. It's sad that the SUV's are starting to take over since the Crown Vic days are starting to come to an end. You're starting to see less and less of them on the roads. The CHP loved the Vic's so much that they made a deal with Ford to make an extra 3,000ish Vic's so they stockpile them in a warehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or