Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 01:39 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,880,013 times

Advertisements

Ohio police are very corrupt. I got my first speeding ticket in upper Michigan recently, but I was a good, clean catch (note to self: drive 55-60 on two lane roads, especially when no one else is around). The MSP are very professional.

The Ohio Snoozepike between Cleveland and Toledo, I-75 between Toledo and Cincy, and I-71 between Cleveland and Columbus are all overbearingly patrolled, but it still appears that Virginia wants to beat out Ohio. California will always be #1 because it is the most populous and has a lot of bad drivers.

I have no problem boycotting business with states that pass bad laws or enforce laws to the point where it is terroristic. Compared to Ohio and Virginia, driving in Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, West Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, etc is a pleasure and will remain that way.

Not long after my speeding ticket "Up North," I got a warning ticket from the local Illinois Nazis regarding a burnt-out headlamp on the passenger side. I was unaware of it (I had just left the city lights about five minutes prior, for a quick night drive through the cornfields) and they found the need to hassle someone with Michigan plates. Whatever. I replaced the headlamp at Wal-Mart the next day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 01:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
If the "Illinois Nazis" were out to hassle you, they wouldn't have let you off with a warning. That's one thing that separates Illinois cops from a lot of others. If you had been pulled over in Ohio, you not only wouldn't have gotten off with a warning, you probably would have gotten a nightstick massage.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:00 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,972,118 times
I hate WV state police... They hassle the shi* out of me, and I have WV plates. I can't imagine you poor people from out of state. I have noticed they are worse in the northern part of the state. Around the Huntington/Charleston area they are vigilant but not jerks about anything.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:39 AM

I used to dart in and out of northern WV when I lived in Pittsburgh. Never even had a trooper look at me there. One thing about WV... it's HARD to speed in a lot of that state... Speed limit 70 through some of those winding mountain interstates (including trucks! ) That's the one state where I frequently abide by the speed limit for self-preservation if nothing else. Nothing says "aw crap" like flying off the side of a switchback.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 AM

673 posts, read 3,138,931 times
Virginia is now out to get everyone so they can slap everyone with their new fees....sometimes an extra $1000 added onto the origional fine. They also dont tolerate anything at all.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:30 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,439,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Which states in your experience, have the strictest state patrol? In other words, which states have little to no tollerance for speeding, etc...?
So far in my experience it would be NC,the first time I went through there I guess I was dumb enough to follow the fastest car and I saw the cop pull them over but then waved me over too! Then I got a notice in the mail back in NJ from a NC lawyer telling me I could lose my license for 1 ticket!
The second time I got in trouble was when I pulled into a gas station late at night and only had an American Express card on me but they didn't accept those and the first thing the clerk wanted to do was 'call the sheriff',so I desperately called my relative and was able to use one of their cards over the phone...whew!
I've also heard that GA is not that tolerant either,although when I'd drive I-95 through there people would be driving somewhat fast and I never saw a pullover.
As far as VA I lived there for a couple of years near Roanoke and didn't often see people getting pulled over but heard when you do it could be stiff.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
Virginia is now out to get everyone so they can slap everyone with their new fees....sometimes an extra $1000 added onto the origional fine. They also dont tolerate anything at all.
Fortunately for travelers, the "civil fees" only applies to VA residents.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:19 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,972,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I used to dart in and out of northern WV when I lived in Pittsburgh. Never even had a trooper look at me there. One thing about WV... it's HARD to speed in a lot of that state... Speed limit 70 through some of those winding mountain interstates (including trucks! ) That's the one state where I frequently abide by the speed limit for self-preservation if nothing else. Nothing says "aw crap" like flying off the side of a switchback.
I've been pulled over 3 times in Harrison county alone... Its about 30 minutes south of Morgantown.... on I-79, It was a WVU game day and traffic was bad, and the cop was just nailing people left and right. I guess that I have gotten used to the turns and elevation changes on the roads, and I have a V-Dub that just loves them ha ha So I find 70 mph way to boring!!! I think it should be atleast 80.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:21 PM

718 posts, read 2,681,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155 View Post
Ohio gives out the second highest number of traffic tickets in the United States. By far more than any other US State except for California, but not that many less than California.

However, California holds 20% of the US Population. So per capita, Ohio is very aggressive from a statistical point of view.
Actually california holds like 10 percent of the US population

Old 08-26-2007, 08:50 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,880,013 times
I would give rep points to Drover, who deserves them, but I don't know how to do it.

Northern WV cops obviously learn from OH cops ... southern WV cops probably learn from VA cops. There's basically a lot of bad learning going on.

I found a website earlier this morning about TN's "tail of the dragon" ... go driving in NC, the police aren't as bad as in GA or TN.

If you give me negative rep points for using state codes instead of names of this post, I will hunt you down and give you a warning ticket, just like Illinois Nazis (which, as drover pointed out, are fairies compared to Buckeye Nazis).

On the latest family trip to NC/VA, I drove my old man's awful Pontiac (yes, it's just a three-year lease) down I-77 in WV. 70 mph was too fast! Heck, I would probably not top 80 in my Acura. Let's be somewhat fair to the police; they have to enforce codes issued by a bunch of idiots lawyers elected by dumb people. IL speed limits should be 100 outside of Chicago and burbs, and WV speed limits are just right, or maybe even a little high in some curves, at 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City