Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:53 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Which states in your experience, have the strictest state patrol? In other words, which states have little to no tollerance for speeding, etc...?
I always thought it was Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 03:45 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asassyvic View Post
I drive all over and with an Indian plate and Ohio has the most vigilant patrols.
A person who works at the same place as me has gotten 2 tickets in Ohio.
Anywhere there is a double fine in a work zone expect it to be patroled even by air. It's there meal ticket.
They fill quotas ( which they deny they do) around the first of the month and around the 20th.
I-65 South through Louisville is a speedtrap and mostly for trucks. Another speedtrap is I-71 north around two exits above la Grange. Can't think of the #'s but they like to sit on the on ramp and catch them as they pass under it.
I never could figure any sense in a cop driving a 100 to catch someone going 75. I was just up in Dayton area this morning and I swear there's at least one cop car for every ten passenger cars.
Ga uses a lot of unmarked cars so you have to watch for them.
Asassyvic, I'll mostly agree with you. I-71 from about the 34 mile marker (Henry Co.) down to the Gene Snyder (I-265) is fairly heavily patrolled. Got a $158 ticket for a burned-out headlight at the 34 mm. I wote that off as just a jerk cop, since I've done pretty well trucking thru all 48 states. I live in OH and (knock on wood) have had no real problems with the law there. I got pulled over once for 65 in a 55 (in a big truck) and when I explained the circumstances; getting past another truck before the truck next to me lost his lane, the officer let me go. I set the cruise control at 62 in my truck and have never been stopped for speeding in my 10 years in trucking. My only complaint about Ohio is the OSHP's adamant refusal to end the split speed limits (except, on the OH Tpk...)

I've always been treated as a professional in every state I've driven through. I guess I've just been lucky in VA, as much as I've heard from you guys on this board and other truckers...

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
"Strict" is being much too kind for Ohio. Try "obnoxious."

I forgot Florida. It's Ohio, Florida, and Virginia in that order.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
Washington state.

First of all, they set the speed limits here 5mph below what it is in most states for the freeways and roadways in order to generate traffic tickets, which is a major revenue source for the state since they have no state income tax. It isn't so much a highway patrol as a legal shakedown racket. I have an uncle who is an owner-operator and he won't take loads to Washington because of the low speed limits and the cops being willing to ticket you for going 1-2 mph over the limit when they get desperate to meet their quota. There is a well known speed trap up by my house, in fact.

So if you like to drive, Washington state is not the place for you.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
AZ's highway patrol are strict buttholes. They gave me a ticket for not following the 3 second rule. Nevermind the fact that there were HUNDREDS of other cars not obeying that law either, and we snapped photos of them that we're sending in to the state. The cop was a prick, and all he did was profile an out-of-stater, not unlike Wisconsin's Highway Patrol. He knew dang well that we werent going to come all the way back to PHX to go to court, thats how they work.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:35 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Missouri is pretty unforgiving as far as highway patrols go. They are all over the place. I was charged somewhere between $200-$400 for going 15 over.They sometimes patrol as many as two cars within five miles of each other. Missouri and its fellow Midwestern states mentioned by vader generally are not very patrol-friendly places, as Vader has pretty much said. The Missouri State Highway Patrols know how to camouflage themselves as well as snakes to strike their prey. It seems like all of the Midwestern states essentially are just dying to sic their cops on anyone.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
MA & OH definitely.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:38 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Well in california the rule is "dont pass a cop" especially when he is going 65 or 70mph.

If you are on the coast hwy through Santa Maria & San luis obispo counties, make sure you dont go over 70-75 max. They will nail you for sure. They even radar while driving in the opposite direction with a divider wall.

the nice thing is they are pretty leinent with traffic school. Generally, they let you go twice in 2 18 months now and if you get the right judge, you can work great deals on traffic school.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
ha ha, glad most people agree with me on Ohio being the worst. I'm originally from Michigan and vividly remember the brake lights as soon as we crossed the border into Ohio. Michigan was great because they only pulled over the person that stuck out. If everyone was going 90 then all was good.. San Diego was also that way. I used to drive around 85 MPH every day to work on the 15/805/5 and it was never an issue, unless it was the end of the month.. the last two or three days of the month are NOT the time to speed in SoCal, the side of the road is littered with people that don't know that one

Old 07-22-2007, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 32,837 times
OH is bad, but with a good eye, nice radar detector and common sense I am able to keep my speed at 75 to 80. OH, in my opinion is definately not as bad as VA (unmarked cars? wow).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City