U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Columbus vs San Jose
Columbus 21 42.86%
San Jose 28 57.14%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:20 PM

1,345 posts, read 2,676,595 times

Advertisements

Some photos around Columbus ... A fast rising metropolis in the heart of America's midwest. An absolute "SUCCESS STORY" within a region that has often been beset by large population losses and lackluster economies, Columbus will "surprise" you!

( All photos are property of owner - Me! )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 04:30 PM

Default More "Views" of beautiful Columbus

In adherence of no more than 8 photos per post, here are my additional photos of "BOOMING COLUMBUS" ...
Enjoy

Old 08-28-2010, 07:59 PM

28 posts, read 47,293 times
I'm not a fan of the NorCal stereotype, like I'm not a fan of the Jersey guido stereotype. Women: plaid jacket, skinny jeans, converse/vans, hair in her face. Men: tee with urban/neon/skate graphic, dark slim jeans, vans, LA hat. Black and purple is the NorCal color code. Look for NorCal stars and DC logos as tattoos and truck stickers. Also prepare to hear latino gangsta language like "hella" and "yadadamean" and everything about weed. It's very childish and ghetto, in my opinion. I choose Columbus, because these annoying clones are scarce there.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 PM

517 posts, read 1,114,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitehonestly View Post
I'm not a fan of the NorCal stereotype, like I'm not a fan of the Jersey guido stereotype. Women: plaid jacket, skinny jeans, converse/vans, hair in her face. Men: tee with urban/neon/skate graphic, dark slim jeans, vans, LA hat. Black and purple is the NorCal color code. Look for NorCal stars and DC logos as tattoos and truck stickers. Also prepare to hear latino gangsta language like "hella" and "yadadamean" and everything about weed. It's very childish and ghetto, in my opinion. I choose Columbus, because these annoying clones are scarce there.
I lived in the Bay Area my entire life and I wasn't aware we had a "color code". Please share with me where you got this information because it's really laughable. When did "hella" become assoicated with "latino gangsta's" by the way? It started off the in the African American rap scene in Oakland.The word hella is really a region thing now shared by the entire Bay Area youth and not just a "latino gangsta" thing. You will find Asian kids, white kids, Indian kids, just about anyone using that word.

Hella: By 1993, Mary Bucholtz, a linguist at the University of California, Santa Barbara collated materials from an urban high school in the Bay Area, and found that hella was "used among Bay Area (and more specifically Oakland, CA) youth of all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds and both genders". It is a synonym of the slang meaning of wicked and mad. Hella remains part of the dialect of Northern California and the Northwest, where it has grown in popularity and spawned several variants, including "hecka", "helluv" and "hecksa". It is believed by some that the word actually originated on the inside of the San Francisco Bay

And hell yes we talk about weed all day everyday here because we have damn good weed the rest of the nation wishes they had

By the way don't start off your post with " I'm not a fan of the Norcal stereotype" and then preceed to stereotype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hella_(word)

Last edited by kcee510; 08-28-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 08:34 PM

28 posts, read 47,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
I lived in the Bay Area my entire life and I wasn't aware we had a "color code". Please share with me where you got this information because it's really laughable. When did "hella" become assoicated with "latino gangsta's" by the way? It started off the in the African American rap scene in Oakland.The word hella is really a region thing now shared by the entire Bay Area youth and not just a "latino gangsta" thing. You will find Asian kids, white kids, Indian kids, just about anyone using that word. And hell yes we talk about weed all day everyday here because we have damn good weed the rest of the nation wishes they had

By the way don't start off your post with " I'm not a fan of the Norcal stereotype" and then preceed to stereotype.
Being a product of that place and the drugged up, skater/ghetto wannabe lifestyle it promotes, you don't know any better. I'm afraid you will never understand.

By the way I WILL call out any stereotypes I dislike. I don't dislike the fact that it's a stereotype, I do dislike those who are the stereotype. Pay attention, Nor Cal product.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 PM

517 posts, read 1,114,967 times
Quote:
Being a product of that place and the drugged up, skater/ghetto wannabe lifestyle it promotes, you don't know any better. I'm afraid you will never understand.

By the way I WILL call out any stereotypes I dislike. I don't dislike the fact that it's a stereotype, I do dislike those who are the stereotype. Pay attention, Nor Cal product.

Yea well just to let you know Norcal produces and attracts more college graduates than any other region in the nation accept Seattle so hey I fully embrace being a product of Norcal.... I guess I will never understand sigh. Misread and thought you said you didn't like stereotypes and then you preceeded to stereotype but either way it's not good to buy into stereotypes.

Last edited by kcee510; 08-28-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 PM

224 posts, read 485,661 times
John, great pictures, the city looks like a true world class place to live. Having said that its in the midwest and will never get the kudos it probably deserves.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:39 PM

8,184 posts, read 21,616,516 times
Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about.

Black and purple are the colors of the Sacramento Kings, not San Jose. The color for the San Jose Sharks is Black and teal (or aqua, or what ever).

Yes, you do see a lot of NorCal nautical stars, and it is kind of annoying.

The DC logo/truck sticker thing is a SoCal bro thing.

The whole neon/urban/skate graphic thing is NOT the 'NorCal' stereotype. The NorCal stereo type is Dickies or Ben Davis pants and plain t-shirts or short sleeve button-downs, for both men and women. Foot wear does include Vans, but also includes Adidas, etc.

NO ONE WHO WAS BORN AND RAISED IN NOR CAL WOULD EVER WEAR AN LA HAT! Are you even from the f***ing area? If you were you would be aware of the rivalry between NorCal and SoCal.

"Hella" is not Latino gangster language. It is word that pretty much everyone says, but it originated with hippies in the East Bay.

"Yaddamean" is more SF.

You are correct, though, everyone talks about weed and weed culture.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 PM

8,184 posts, read 21,616,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
It started off the in the African American rap scene in Oakland.The word hella is really a region thing now shared by the entire Bay Area youth and not just a "latino gangsta" thing. You will find Asian kids, white kids, Indian kids, just about anyone using that word.
Sorry dude, but hella did not originate with with the African American rap scene. The word was already being used long before the 80s.

It has been a regional thing since I can remember...early 80s, perhaps.

Anyone who grew up in NorCal starting with the 80s says hella.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 AM

Default Aerials Of A "BOOMTOWN" ... Columbus

Some aerials of burgeoning Columbus ...

A gorgeous aerial view looking in a southwesterly direction over the city centre of Columbus

An aerial view looking directly north over the city centre of Columbus

A view looking north / northeast over the city centre of Columbus. The large "wedge shaped" structure in the foreground is "COSI" ( Center of Science & Industry ), a now highly acclaimed science center & museum

This photo shows the enormous campus of THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY ( Largest in the U.S. ), with the city centre of Columbus looming in the distance.

A close up aerial over a portion of the city centre, including the corporate headquarters & campus of Nationwide Insurance Companies, just one of several large insurance companies that are headquartered in the city. The unusual "yellow colored roof" is the recently renovated and expanded Columbus Convention Center

A closer look over the city centre of Columbus, looking in a southwestern direction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City