U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:23 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,761,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
In the second picture, I've never even noticed that tall building with the antenna to the left of the Sears Tower, what building is that? It looks great.
that is trump tower, assuming you are talking about this.

probably haven't seen it b/c it was completed in 2008

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 PM

196 posts, read 522,598 times
Quote:
In the second picture, I've never even noticed that tall building with the antenna to the left of the Sears Tower, what building is that? It looks great.
That's the new Trump Tower. Probably the nicest building ever to bear that name.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,179,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
looking north...

what you can see of the condo buildings down the lake with pretty much no break is a good 10 miles long from city center and in northern most neighborhood there rogers park the density is still 35,000 pppsm...which is about where this pic is shot from the lower left corner the 4 brown buildings are presidential towers which is on madison 0 north/south.

it goes back the other way south pretty far as well like that...

back the other way..
Does it literally stretch for 10 miles?

Nice pictures by the way, the second one looks great in evening scene.

Quote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ois_Center.jpg

That picture does not belong to me, but IMHO, it's one of the best shots taken for that building. The building is new, and right now it's the 2nd tallest building in the United States. First being Willis Tower to the right of Grapico's picture.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,761,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Does it literally stretch for 10 miles?

Nice pictures by the way, the second one looks great in evening scene.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ois_Center.jpg

That picture does not belong to me, but IMHO, it's one of the best shots taken for that building. The building is new, and right now it's the 2nd tallest building in the United States. First being Willis Tower to the right of Grapico's picture.

I would say so yes... or more... you've got condo line going all the way down the lake at least up to touhy if I recall which is 7200 north or 9 miles from 0 madison, plus it goes back further to at least 2000 south, so that is actually over 10 miles.

smaller pic but one of only full skylines I can find.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,179,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I would say so yes... or more... you've got condo line going all the way down the lake at least up to touhy if I recall which is 7200 north or 9 miles from 0 madison, plus it goes back further to at least 2000 south, so that is actually over 10 miles.

smaller pic but one of only full skylines I can find.
That stretch of the skyline is simply massive by longevity, the location on the front of Lake Michigan makes it nice too.

The reason why I've always preferred Chicago by a long shot over Houston has been mainly because of the urban feel to it, it's nice to be able to walk down the street and realize you are not the only one doing it. The night life is great too, and the summer nights make it all the better.

It actually has a big city feel, which is something I always like about a city.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,843,186 times
Chicago was designed better for modern times, as are most U.S. cities, than Philadelphia(William Penn never saw the car, or globalization coming).

This is holds Philly back, and is the main reason why Chicago and some other cities outshine it.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:06 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,892,332 times
Ahh thats the new Trump Tower huh? Beautiful building.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 AM

4,265 posts, read 7,189,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Chicago was designed better for modern times, as are most U.S. cities, than Philadelphia(William Penn never saw the car, or globalization coming).

This is holds Philly back, and is the main reason why Chicago and some other cities outshine it.
I stronly disagree with this. That is not to say I don't think Chicago is well-designed or modern (I've unfortunately never been, but it looks fantastic).

However, Philadelphia is a city that was designed with the person in mind, and that is something that is absolutely relevant in modern times. Because history tends to repeat itself, urban planners are once again placing a huge emphasis on streetscape, walkability and a "sense of place." All of these aspects are very much built into the design of colonial-era cities like Philadelphia.

That is not to say Philly cannot do more to build up its infrastructure to compete more globally. Still, I think the "bones" of Philly are very befitting to energy efficiency and sustainable growth (much less susceptible to things like oil crises). In particular, a low-rise, high-density design is very people-friendly, and that is something that will always make Philadelphia appealing.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-25-2010 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 AM

4,887 posts, read 12,191,933 times
Quote:

Hold it back ? Or make it unbelievably unique?

Chicago missed out on 1/2 of the US history that Philadlephia was afforded and preserved.

NYC bulldozed much of its history in the sake of redevelopment. For better or worse Philadelphia did not as most of the city remains organically intact. Most streets /neighborhoods in Philly have never been altered since their beginning, as long as 300 years ago.

Same as its always been.

Last edited by rainrock; 05-25-2010 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Quote:

My only knock on Chicago is that it is far less walkable than I thought it would be. Density wise, I think it's comparable to outer sections of Queens and the northernmost sections of the Bronx. That is, you have a lot of free standing houses that have a few feet between them. But there were very few storefronts, bodegas, etc.

I would say Philly is more similar to Flatbush, Brooklyn. It's a dense, flat, low-lying city. We have blocks and blocks of rowhomes with cornerstores, delis, and bars mixed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or