Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 AM

28 posts, read 103,168 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to budget what a total relocation will cost in monthly expenses. Rent I've got down. I've poured over the previous threads on this, and 'cost of living' is discussed a lot, but it's not broken down so I can understand things like cost of groceries and utilities. Those are our biggest expenses next to the rents, which have been well-discussed.

We eat almost exclusively food from the farmers' markets. Vegetables, organic whole milk, and pasture-fed or free-range eggs. I know both cities have farmers markets. Is there a major price difference on groceries, especially those types of products? I get a feel that NYC may be somewhat pricey by comparison.

Also, what about cable internet, cell phone, water, gas, electric? Cable internet is huge for us, since I work from home. Any surprises that I'm in for, or would you say it's comparable to other cities in Chicago and NYC?

Lastly, are there any special small business or self-employeed "fees" I can expect thrown at my wife and I in these cities? She's self-employed as a hair stylist (booth renter) and I work entirely on the internet, which means I do not do local business and don't even have to register in most states as a foreign entity - I'm incorporated in Delaware and that's it. But I've looked at Portland too, and they knock some fee-sense into you out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
The difference in price of rent for NYC rent, particularly vs Chicago is so significant in itself that the other categories are pretty marginal in your decision. Though you could do the same rent "price" base in Chicago then go to NYC, you'd lose significant space in your place, and the reverse the other way around. For some though the additional price is worth it, others not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City