Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 PM

765 posts, read 1,859,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
The subways are fine, they just don't really do a good job with the regional rail. And they (still) haven't rolled out a good smartcard system.
What? The Regional Rail is the best part about SEPTA. It's main purpose to transport commuters from the suburbs to downtown and the airport. The Regional Rail is very extensive and has lines sprawling all over the Philadelphia suburbs. For example, I live in Willow Grove and the regional rail station is 5 min ride from my house, providing me with an easy 30-35 min ride to downtown.

I hate Philly's subway systems. So many areas of the city are lacking subway lines. Northeast & Northwest Philadelphia have no subway lines and that's already about 50% of Philadelphia's area without access to a subway line. Besides, the subway lines all are dangerous in my opinion because they are largely prevalent in poorer neighborhoods.

If you look at New York and Chicago's subway system, you'd see that they have numerous lines reaching just about every section of the city, That is not the case with Philadelphia. That being said, however, the Regional Rail does superb job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Love our new architecture for 1WTC---As well as the other supertalls being built now (Especially the Tower Verre)
We're never going to stop and we will never forget the original towers.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
What? The Regional Rail is the best part about SEPTA. It's main purpose to transport commuters from the suburbs to downtown and the airport. The Regional Rail is very extensive and has lines sprawling all over the Philadelphia suburbs. For example, I live in Willow Grove and the regional rail station is 5 min ride from my house, providing me with an easy 30-35 min ride to downtown.

I hate Philly's subway systems. So many areas of the city are lacking subway lines. Northeast & Northwest Philadelphia have no subway lines and that's already about 50% of Philadelphia's area without access to a subway line. Besides, the subway lines all are dangerous in my opinion because they are largely prevalent in poorer neighborhoods.

If you look at New York and Chicago's subway system, you'd see that they have numerous lines reaching just about every section of the city, That is not the case with Philadelphia. That being said, however, the Regional Rail does superb job.
Yeah, that's kind of how I felt about the subways in Philly when we were there last. I was shocked with how run-down some of the stations were. I didn't feel unsafe, but I'm assuming those stations had seen better days. One of the stations I got on at almost felt abandoned at 11AM on a Saturday morning...I wasn't even sure if it was still in order until one person came along and purchased a coin. I also hated the coin system.

I hope that they open some more of the old stations up and renovate some of the rundown ones that are currently open. I agree with the poster that said that the building of the ACC could require stronger rapid-mass transit.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i think the world product got cancelled
Hmmm I'm not sure. The last thing I heard was that it had been approved and it still plans to be finished by 2013-2014.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Well the past four times I've taken the Warminster line there were 20-30 minute delays each time. I've never had a problem with the subway lines though.

It would be awesome if Philly's subway system was as extensive as NYC or DCs though.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:27 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
checkmate.

Larry Silverstein in $1.6 billion deal with Port Authority to rebuild at World Trade Center site

by 2013 ny will be insane. we're getting so many buildings...

Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
At first i thought nyc was slipping in comparison to the asian city's but by 2015 new york should havr 7 supertalls added. The skyline will look completely different

Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
At first i thought nyc was slipping in comparison to the asian city's but by 2015 new york should havr 7 supertalls added. The skyline will look completely different
NYC is not called NYC for nothing lol.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
NYC is still the greatest city in every aspect

and i'm tough judge

Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
I hope this gets approved! What do you guys think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Place_(Manhattan)

I also can't wait for the Brooklyn Arena! (I'll probably never get use to Barclay Center)

Here's a picture of Hudson Yards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City