U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
6,236 posts, read 7,397,375 times
Reputation: 586

Advertisements

What smaller city/cities could you see gaining more national attention in the future... Compared to the larger and more famous city/cities in the state... The critieria would be jobs, industry, growth rate, etc..........

My picks...
Augusta/Savannah - Atlanta
Tampa - Miami
Knoxville/Chattanooga - Nashville/Memphis
Austin/Forth Worth - Houston/Dallas
Columbus/Akron - Cincinnati/Columbus
Durham/Greensboro - Charlotte/Raleigh
Sacramento/San Diego - LA/San Francisco
Huntsville - Birmingham
Lexington - Louisvlle
Pittsburgh - Philly
Tucson - Phoenix
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 6,551,308 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
What smaller city/cities could you see gaining more national attention in the future... Compared to the larger and more famous city/cities in the state... The critieria would be jobs, industry, growth rate, etc..........

My picks...
Augusta/Savannah - Atlanta
Tampa - Miami
Knoxville/Chattanooga - Nashville/Memphis
Austin/Forth Worth - Houston/Dallas
Columbus/Akron - Cincinnati/Columbus
Durham/Greensboro - Charlotte/Raleigh
Sacramento/San Diego - LA/San Francisco
Huntsville - Birmingham
Lexington - Louisvlle
Pittsburgh - Philly
Tucson - Phoenix
Augusta and Savannah aren't about to outshine Atlanta any time soon.

For some of these, the smaller cities won't necessarily outshine the larger cities, but will come up to a similar level as the larger cities, like in Texas.

For NC, Durham is really part of the Triangle along with Raleigh, so for the purposes of this discussion, they truly belong together. And no, Greensboro is not about to outshine Charlotte or the Triangle any time soon.

Columbus is on the same level as Cincinnati and Cleveland, and it already outshines them both in terms of job and population growth.

The only one on this list that seems accurate is Huntsville and Birmingham.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
6,236 posts, read 7,397,375 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Augusta and Savannah aren't about to outshine Atlanta any time soon.

For some of these, the smaller cities won't necessarily outshine the larger cities, but will come up to a similar level as the larger cities, like in Texas.

For NC, Durham is really part of the Triangle along with Raleigh, so for the purposes of this discussion, they truly belong together. And no, Greensboro is not about to outshine Charlotte or the Triangle any time soon.

Columbus is on the same level as Cincinnati and Cleveland, and it already outshines them both in terms of job and population growth.

The only one on this list that seems accurate is Huntsville and Birmingham.
From July 2009 to July 2010, the metro Augusta area gained 4,700 jobs - more than any other metro area in the state.
Drop outs alter jobless rate | The Augusta Chronicle
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,558 posts, read 6,887,523 times
Reputation: 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
What smaller city/cities could you see gaining more national attention in the future... Compared to the larger and more famous city/cities in the state... The critieria would be jobs, industry, growth rate, etc..........

My picks...
Augusta/Savannah - Atlanta
Tampa - Miami
Knoxville/Chattanooga - Nashville/Memphis
Austin/Forth Worth - Houston/Dallas
Columbus/Akron - Cincinnati/Columbus
Durham/Greensboro - Charlotte/Raleigh
Sacramento/San Diego - LA/San Francisco
Huntsville - Birmingham
Lexington - Louisvlle
Pittsburgh - Philly
Tucson - Phoenix
No to the bolded.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 6,551,308 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
From July 2009 to July 2010, the metro Augusta area gained 4,700 jobs - more than any other metro area in the state.
Drop outs alter jobless rate | The Augusta Chronicle
First of all, you've got to take a long-term approach to this and stop hyping up every list that comes out every month. Secondly, we're in the middle of a recession, so that's throwing everybody off a bit right now. Thirdly, Atlanta has huge advantages for long-term economic growth that aren't going anywhere, advantages that neither Augusta or Savannah have. Just be happy for your city and the corner it's turning, but don't get ahead of yourself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
1,858 posts, read 3,075,073 times
Reputation: 750
No way Akron outshines Cincinnati/Cbus - btw, how can Columbus outshine Columbus? I assume you meant Cleveland/Akron - Cinci/Cbus? Even so, the answer is still no, NE Ohio has been on a steady decline for a couple decades now while Cbus has been ascending.

Ft. Worth is essentially the same metro area as Dallas, so not sure how you justify that unless people start referring to the metroplex as "Ft. Worth-Dallas."

Agree w/Akhenaton06, Greensboro is not over-taking Charlotte or Raleigh anytime soon.

No to Lexington/Louisville, Tuscon/Pittsburgh, Sacramento/LA & Augusta/Atlanta as well and highly unlikely for Pitt/Philly & Knoxville/Nashville.

I think Tampa & Miami are pretty much on the same level as it is now w/little separation between the two.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 03:10 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 6,551,308 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Ft. Worth is essentially the same metro area as Dallas, so not sure how you justify that unless people start referring to the metroplex as "Ft. Worth-Dallas."
I saw where he split up Raleigh and Durham, but didn't pay attention here to Dallas and Fort Worth. Dallas and Fort Worth are tied to the hip, so in the context of this discussion, they should be considered as one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
6,236 posts, read 7,397,375 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post

My picks...
Augusta/Savannah - Atlanta
Tampa - Miami
Knoxville/Chattanooga - Nashville/Memphis
Austin/Forth Worth - Houston/Dallas
Columbus/Akron - Cincinnati/Columbus
Durham/Greensboro - Charlotte/Raleigh
Sacramento/San Diego - LA/San Francisco
Huntsville - Birmingham
Lexington - Louisvlle
Pittsburgh - Philly
Tucson - Phoenix
Edit
Augusta/Savannah - Atlanta
Tampa - Miami
Knoxville/Chattanooga - Nashville/Memphis
Austin/Forth Worth - Houston/Dallas
Columbus/Akron - Cincinnati/Cleveland
Durham/Greensboro - Charlotte/Raleigh
Sacramento/San Diego - LA/San Francisco
Huntsville - Birmingham
Lexington - Louisvlle
Pittsburgh - Philly
Tucson - Phoenix
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 6,551,308 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Edit
Augusta/Savannah - Atlanta
Tampa - Miami
Knoxville/Chattanooga - Nashville/Memphis
Austin/Forth Worth - Houston/Dallas
Columbus/Akron - Cincinnati/Cleveland
Durham/Greensboro - Charlotte/Raleigh
Sacramento/San Diego - LA/San Francisco
Huntsville - Birmingham
Lexington - Louisvlle
Pittsburgh - Philly
Tucson - Phoenix
Ummm, that's the same list as before.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
6,236 posts, read 7,397,375 times
Reputation: 586
I had Columbus listed twice in the first list, and replace it with Cleveland in the second...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top