U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,841,175 times

Advertisements

To Danny: Wow, looks like things are going well for the Texas cities with all the growth and the relatively good economy, becoming more liberal/democratic, more urban amenities related things etc. Thats good!

So you are originally from Chicago, lived in Singapore as a kid, and are going to college in Austin, Texas currently?

Seattle's weather can be great most of the time. Since I was here in February 2010, the only time I didnt like/enjoy the weather was Late May-Early June, and some of Late June-Early July but most of the time I enjoy the weather here. I dont think its as bas as some people say it is, and there actually are plenty of Seattle weather lovers that exist. I think Im somewhere in the middle with that. I like the weather here a lot of the time but like NYC-Boston weather, San Francisco bay area, and Hawaii weather more.

Its interesting how you never visited Seattle but seem to know so much about it. Thats how I feel about Chicago, Texas cities, etc. I never visited those places but feel like I know them well.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 08-26-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 03:57 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,189,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas is big on House & Breaks.

Houston has the better Techno scene IMO. I just saw Boys Noize down there & it was mind blowing. The large venue was packed & everyone was into it.

Boys Noize - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston also has spawned artists like Henry Chow who have wrecked havoc on the world wide Techno circuit.

RA: Henry Chow
I cant see how Houston can possibly touch Dallas' techno scene. Its not bad, but Dallas is one of the best in techno. That should be indisputable.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:10 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,794,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
To Danny: Wow, looks like things are going well for the Texas cities with all the growth and the relatively good economy, becoming more liberal/democratic, more urban amenities related things etc. Thats good!

So you are originally from Chicago, lived in Singapore as a kid, and are going to college in Austin, Texas currently?

Seattle's weather can be great most of the time. Since I was here in February 2010, the only time I didnt like/enjoy the weather was Late May-Early June, and some of Late June-Early July but most of the time I enjoy the weather here. I dont think its as bas as some people say it is, and there actually are plenty of Seattle weather lovers that exist. I think Im somewhere in the middle with that. I like the weather here a lot of the time but like NYC-Boston weather, San Francisco bay area, and Hawaii weather more.

Its interesting how you never visited Seattle but seem to know so much about it. Thats how I feel about Chicago, Texas cities, etc. I never visited those places but feel like I know them well.
I live in Chicago, Houston, & Austin relatively through out the year.

Heres my schedule (factored with the traveling to other places):
August: Chicago (for the first half of the month) Austin (for the second half of the month, Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
September: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
October: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
November: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend/Traveling to Bay Area, California for Thanksgiving with my parents)
December: Austin/Houston (When schools out, back to Houston, then family vacation after a few days to go to some other city in the country for Winter time)
January: Austin/Houston (First half of the month I am traveling with parents to other cities or something)
February: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
March: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend, Spring Break I normally travel to a place that friends and I can agree on visiting, normally we vote on it)
April: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
May: Chicago
June: Chicago
July: This is the month of the year that I do road trips with friends, otherwise Chicago

Austin = School, I live in downtown Austin
Houston = Home, I live in suburban Houston (Sugar Land)
Chicago = Home, I live in downtown Chicago

Dallas, San Antonio, & Fort Worth are all easy drives for me, so I put those into my schedule randomly on random weekends. In fact the weekend after next weekend my roommates and I are going to DFW, just to visit it again.

Yes they are becoming more politically liberal by the day.

My parents have been to Seattle twice, everyone in my family has, even my siblings have, but I haven't because I was in Chicago during the summer. Normally in the summer May-Early August when I'm in Chicago I'm without my family, they're in Houston at the time.

My parents like to travel, mostly because they have to do plenty of it for work, as consultants, so when an opportunity to see a new place comes up they want to take me and my brothers with them and get to see new places. Which is why I've seen as many places as I have, I guess traveling in general is something my family really loves doing.

Seattle tops my list of places I want to see, another being Minneapolis as well.

Seattle is becoming larger too, its developing quite fast, and its gaining more recognition for a west coast city, especially since their port activity has exponentially increased.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,356,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I live in Chicago, Houston, & Austin relatively through out the year.

Heres my schedule (factored with the traveling to other places):
August: Chicago (for the first half of the month) Austin (for the second half of the month, Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
September: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
October: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
November: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend/Traveling to Bay Area, California for Thanksgiving with my parents)
December: Austin/Houston (When schools out, back to Houston, then family vacation after a few days to go to some other city in the country for Winter time)
January: Austin/Houston (First half of the month I am traveling with parents to other cities or something)
February: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
March: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
April: Austin (Going back home to Houston for every other weekend)
May: Chicago
June: Chicago
July: This is the month of the year that I do road trips with friends, otherwise Chicago

Austin = School, I live in downtown Austin
Houston = Home, I live in suburban Houston (Sugar Land)
Chicago = Home, I live in downtown Chicago

Yes they are becoming more politically liberal by the day.

My parents have been to Seattle twice, everyone in my family has, even my siblings have, but I haven't because I was in Chicago during the summer. Normally in the summer May-Early August when I'm in Chicago I'm without my family, they're in Houston at the time.

My parents like to travel, mostly because they have to do plenty of it for work, as consultants, so when an opportunity to see a new place comes up they want to take me and my brothers with them and get to see new places. Which is why I've seen as many places as I have, I guess traveling in general is something my family really loves doing.

Seattle tops my list of places I want to see, another being Minneapolis as well.

Seattle is becoming larger too, its developing quite fast, and its gaining more recognition for a west coast city, especially since their port activity has exponentially increased.
Please add your social security number, your mom's maiden name, your grandmother's maiden name, and where your parents were born?

It would also be nice if we can have some credit card numbers And a debit card number WITH your PIN. Thanks!

To this thread topic; the trance scene in BOTH LA and SF have been invaded by teeny boppers, so I don't go to many raves anymore. I was once into them when I was between 14-18, but the last rave I went to here in LA was TAO during New Years, and I felt weird being amongst kids who thought it was super cool to pop pills (and eventually overdose) and generally bother me.

Loveparade is in SF this October, but I don't think I'll go. I'd rather buy a 40 and listen to Mac Dre instead

It really depends on what type of scene you are into. I'm more of a hardstyle (IE DJ Luna from the Netherlands) and hardcore (IE Scott Brown) type of person nowadays, since I think I have some form of ADD which makes it impossible for me to listen to softer music. However, at EDC this year, many of my favorite artists were there (but I didn't go due to the reason above).

So I'd be the worst person to ask. Yeah.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:28 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,101,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I cant see how Houston can possibly touch Dallas' techno scene. Its not bad, but Dallas is one of the best in techno. That should be indisputable.
Name me one Dallas Techno DJ who has broke out onto the national or international scene.

Answer: There is none.

I highly suggest you give Henry Chow from Houston a listen if you're into true UK Techno. He doesn't disappoint.

Maybe you're confusing EDM as a whole genre with Techno specifically? When I think Techno I automatically think of artists like Carl Cox & Joey Beltram.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 PM

3,732 posts, read 7,095,702 times
Quote:
I love Techno & Electronica. Its my favorite genre for music, I like Rap, R&B, Hip-Hop, Rock, & Jazz afterwards.

The 10 Best:
01. Chicago
02. Los Angeles
03. Dallas
04. San Francisco
05. New York City
06. Detroit
07. Houston
08. Boston
09. Madison
10. Austin
I know this is just your opinion, but no Miami? Miami is like a techno capital.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:14 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,794,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I know this is just your opinion, but no Miami? Miami is like a techno capital.
Lol, shoot I keep forgetting Miami is in USA for some reason these days. I keep thinking Bahamas when I think of Miami or something. But yeah Miami is there too. Its almost the same way I forgot about Seattle.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,945,589 times
I play guitar, bass, piano and a bit of drums.

Trance isn't music. It is electronic noise regardless of geography.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 PM

3,732 posts, read 7,095,702 times
Quote:
Lol, shoot I keep forgetting Miami is in USA for some reason these days. I keep thinking Bahamas when I think of Miami or something. But yeah Miami is there too. Its almost the same way I forgot about Seattle.
Lmao, it's cool man.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 7,445,655 times
I'm not sure if the OP was speaking about the top 10 best and worst based on exposure or not, but I would say best (in no particular order):

Miami
New York
Chicago
Los Angeles
Seattle
Las Vegas
San Francisco
Dallas
Houston
Phoenix
DC
Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or