U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 AM

4,810 posts, read 4,886,413 times
Default What do you think are the top 10 best and worst USA cities/regions for Electronica/Trance music in the USA?

I can make some guesses, but would like to know from some others that know more about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:33 AM

12,305 posts, read 13,191,972 times
Top 10:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. San Francisco
5. Miami
6. Dallas
7. Vegas
8. Detroit
9. Baltimore
10. Houston

Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 AM

To Metromatt:

Interesting list.

Do you also like Electronica/Trance music a lot?
Its my favorite music genre lately. I do like other music genres a lot too.

Why do you feel like those cities are the top 10? Is it based on statistics or how you feel about those cities music scenes?

Also, where do you think Seattle, Wa and Portland, Oregon should be in the ranks? I always thought both of those cities would be in the top 10 for this.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 AM

12,305 posts, read 13,191,972 times
Just based on my own personal observations as a listener of the genre for almost 18 years.

Seattle probably has a better scene than Detroit nowadays. During the 80's & early 90's Detroit Techno was right up there with Chicago House.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:59 AM

To Metromatt:

Interesting. Almost all the electronica/trance I know of seems to be from Northern and Western Europe.

I know an electronica like music group from Los Angeles area(Ratatat) and the Seattle area(Assemblage 23) but thats about it from the USA it seems like.

Hopefully, electronica/trance becomes more and more popular in the USA. It doesnt seem nearly as popular here as it does in most areas of Europe.

This is why I created this thread to try to find out where it is most popular and the most thriving in the USA.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:22 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,692,767 times
I love Techno & Electronica. Its my favorite genre for music, I like Rap, R&B, Hip-Hop, Rock, & Jazz afterwards.

The 10 Best:
01. Chicago
02. Los Angeles
03. Dallas
04. San Francisco
05. New York City
06. Detroit
07. Houston
08. Boston
09. Madison
10. Austin

Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 AM

To AwesomeDanny:

How do you know those are the top 10 best? Is that based on statistics or how you feel about those cities?
Where do you think Seattle and Portland, Oregon would be in the ranks?

My favorite music genres other than Electronica/Trance are: Rock n' Roll, Asian Indian classical/electronica, and Jazz. I also like some of the rock pop top 40 type of stuff.

While I love jazz, I mostly strongly dislike most hip hop/rap, with some exceptions. I rather see Electronica/Trance to be much more popular in the USA than hip hop/rap etc.

There is also this one music group that sort of is Electronica/Trance, and Asian Indian classical and electronica at the same time !: Thievery Corporation.

Thievery Corporation I think are from Washington D.C. and they seem sort of popular in the USA, which is great to see. They had concerts in most of the top 30 largest cities in the USA.

One of the best music groups ever, and something the USA and the Washington D.C. should be proud of.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 08-26-2010 at 01:39 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
To AwesomeDanny:

How do you know those are the top 10 best? Is that based on statistics or how you feel about those cities?
Where do you think Seattle and Portland, Oregon would be in the ranks?

My favorite music genres other than Electronica/Trance are: Rock n' Roll, Asian Indian classical/electronica, and Jazz. I also like some of the rock pop top 40 type of stuff.

While I love jazz, I mostly strongly dislike most hip hop/rap, with some exceptions. I rather see Electronica/Trance to be much more popular in the USA than hip hop/rap etc.

There is also this one music group that sort of is Electronica/Trance, and Asian Indian classical and electronica at the same time!: Thievery Corporation.
I'm Asian Indian. I like some of the music, but some of them can get annoying too. I do like the movies though. I guess I'm just one of those Indian/South Asian people that kind of want to dismiss my heritage. I like who I am, but I just never give our music, and things like that a second thought.

I did it based off feel, and you're right, I did forget Seattle, that would definitely be top 10, but its the only city out of the ones I listed that I haven't been too. So I can't say, but I know they are top 10 material. I guess Austin gets knocked off the list.

And yes, Dallas does have a BALLER techno scene, and Houston has a decent one, its got a better Hip Hop & Jazz scene but their techno scene is pretty nice too.

Chicago is the best in my opinion, and I'm not saying that out of my hometown bias, but they really do great here. Los Angeles is baller too, and its becoming more popular there. New York City is a given. Detroit believe it or not has a baller scene too, personally I have not experienced Detroit's before but my cousin told me they have a underrated scene.

And as far as Trance goes: Armin Van Buren & Tiesto pwn.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:50 AM

To Danny: There is some truly awesome Asian indian music out there, and Indian cuisine is easily my favorite type of cuisine out there and tied with Thai cuisine.

However, I am Eastern European.

Im surprised you would want to dismiss your heritage when there is such amazing music and food that comes from there! Why do you think that is the case?

Yeah, it seems like Seattle should be in the top 10. Seattle actually will host a 4 day electronica music event in Late September.

Dallas, Houston, and Austin have been surprising me lately with all the good things about them. I would love to visit those cities some day.

Maybe you should try to visit Seattle during that electronica music festival?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
There is some truly awesome Asian indian music out there, and Indian cuisine is easily my favorite type of cuisine out there and tied with Thai cuisine.

However, I am Eastern European.

Im surprised you would want to dismiss your heritage when there is such amazing music and food that comes from there! Why do you think that is the case?

Yeah, it seems like Seattle should be in the top 10. Seattle actually will host a 4 day electronica music event in Late September.

Dallas, Houston, and Austin have been surprising me lately with all the good things about them. I would love to visit those cities some day.

Maybe you should try to visit Seattle during that electronica music festival?
In all honesty, I'm just an obsessed American. I was born here, Chicago, Illinois, my parents were born here in New York City, well my dad was. My mother in Singapore. I love USA, everything about it, every city in the country, everything, whether its the good, bad, or ugly. Because I know we're awesome through and through (although I do give props to other countries for what they offer as well), and we have it great because we worked hard to get there.

Being proud of you're heritage is one thing, but interacting with where you live should come first, in my opinion. Could you imagine how segregated our country would be if everyone from China only hung out with Chinese people, or everyone from India did the same, and everyone from Romania did the same.

I worded it wrong, I like being Singaporean, and I like being Indian, but its not what I am first and foremost. American!

Yeah I have Thai food everyday, literally. I go to school in Austin, I just had dinner 4 hours ago at some Brazilian restaurant and lunch at a Thai restaurant called "Craves". Pretty baller. I like Indian food, but its a once a week thing for me. Thai = first and foremost!

Yeah theres some cool stuff about each of those cities, and I'm a huge fan of this genre, its something I look for in a city, haha.

I'm working on a trip for Seattle for Winter actually, its either that or Boston. I still have a few months to decide up. Most likely Seattle just because the idea of not already having any experience there kills me inside. I've seen a lot of major cities in USA, but the one I've wanted to see since I was like 15, I still haven't had the opportunity to yet...I've even seen Portland & Vancouver, Canada but not Seattle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City