Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:52 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Here's a classic tale of the pot calling the kettle black....if you are going to make a point about incorrect information, you shouldn't start by stating minnesota doesn't really have minorities. It's no Georgia (and we didn't purchase slaves 300 years ago), but it's still 15%-20% non-white (guesstimate for 2010) and the Twin Cities are closer to 20%-25% non-white (again, guesstimate), so that is close to 1 million people.
Your saying the Twin Cities area is 20-25% non white case and point, there really aren't alot of minorities up there, I didn't say there was none. MN does good in a lot of areas but honesty diversity isn’t one them.

Quote:
I'm not trying to defend Ghost of Blasphamy, as he just wrote similarly snide comments about Minnesota in the MN vs. TX thread, but I'm not sure who's worse at making objective opinions and keeping peace on the theads.
I wasn't attacking MN, I was pointing out the silliness to bringing up the “tolerance” thing, to states that are more diverse. Posters were doing this in the MN vs TX tread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
I mean, don't knock anything until you try it. Most people are surprised by the nightscene here and I've really never heard any complaints, except there aren't tons of extreme high-end clubs. Let's turn the tables: I've never heard one positive thing about the Atlanta nightscene from the people I know who have visited it either, everyone says it's fun but nothing out of the ordinary. Yet I don't focus so much on the negatives, especially when I haven't been there myself.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Your saying the Twin Cities area is 20-25% non white case and point, there really aren't alot of minorities up there, I didn't say there was none. MN does good in a lot of areas but honesty diversity isn’t one them.

I wasn't attacking MN, I was pointing out the silliness to bringing up the “tolerance” thing, to states that are more diverse. Posters were doing this in the MN vs TX tread.
Exactly. You cannot compare the diversity of MN to TX and GA; than speak about tolerance. The biggest race issue has always been between Blacks and Whites. MN lacks a significant black population.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Minnesota is very diverse. Even my somewhat small town has blacks, East Asians, South Asians, Somalis, Sudanese and Native Americans in addition to the white population. The Twin Cities area is even more diverse. Many small towns throughout the state have at least one black or Hispanic resident. It's not all white.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Sorry, I didn't consider 20%-25% to be that bad, especially considering that NONE of that was forced illegal slave trade heritage -- all voluntary. Plus, it's obviously a difficult climate to deal with and most transplants aren't fond of that, so anyone who comes here is committed almost right from the start and don't come here because it's popular or cool.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly. You cannot compare the diversity of MN to TX and GA; than speak about tolerance. The biggest race issue has always been between Blacks and Whites. MN lacks a significant black population.
False. Minnesota is 4.4% black (as of 2000), and the state has seen the largest increase of African-Americans of any non-Southern state in the past ten years.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What is significant, seriously, I want to know? 250K, 500K, 1 million+??? I realize it's not that black but it's all concentrated in a very small area and if you live near these areas you could be in Atlanta for all you know.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
False. Minnesota is 4.4% black (as of 2000), and the state has seen the largest increase of African-Americans of any non-Southern state in the past ten years.
20 years now....2010 census will say basically the same thing as the 2000 census....lots of E. Africans as well as transplants from Chicago, Gary, Detroit, KC, etc.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Minnesota is very diverse. Even my somewhat small town has blacks, East Asians, South Asians, Somalis, Sudanese and Native Americans in addition to the white population. The Twin Cities area is even more diverse. Many small towns throughout the state have at least one black or Hispanic resident. It's not all white.
Not as white as Warren, MI that's for sure. Back in 1970 Warren was 99.5% white. I couldn't imagine living in such a bland city, but the times were different back then, I suppose.

Warren, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some cities, such as Livonia, MI aren't much better today, sadly.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Not as white as Warren, MI that's for sure. Back in 1970 Warren was 99.5% white. I couldn't imagine living in such a bland city, but the times were different back then, I suppose.

Warren, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some cities, such as Livonia, MI aren't much better today, sadly.
Most of that segregation was due to white flight. That doesn't exist in Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City