Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:07 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I don't get that top 25 list at all! What is Texas A&M and Illinois doing so high? What does that list represent?
And ASU, also. 90% of all applicants are accepted there, and if you have a certain GPA you get in automatically. Maybe that's why people like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yet even though the answer to those questions maybe MN.Yet more people continue moving and visiting Georgia and staying by more than 2 to 1.How wonderful for MN to do so well on those rankings though.Kudos
That's just fine with us. We aren't interested in rapid growth. Nice steady growth turns out a lot better.

The biggest reason is the weather. I actually love the 4 seasons including winter. The majority of our residents long to go South during the winter. I prefer to stay here.

Ideally we would 5 feet of snow by Thanksgiving. Snowmobiling up here is a blast!! My next favorite winter activity is ice fishing, followed by hockey/skating and then skiing.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Oooooo, my school (#12 OSU) was ranked #2 for business, which is my major! I'll have to tell that to my employer at my interview next week!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Oooooo, my school (#12 OSU) was ranked #2 for business, which is my major! I'll have to tell that to my employer at my interview next week!
The Ohio State University? Boooo!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM

235 posts, read 344,136 times
I think you Minnesota people must still be really sore and bitter about losing NW Airlines ...

Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Because of the negative stereotypes:

too cold
too isolated
nothing to do
not diverse

Not only are they stereotypes, but they're all mostly wrong (except that it IS cold in the winter). We are much closer to Chicago, a MAJOR U.S. city, but we are not surrounded by multiple 500K to 2M populated cities, just a few. Atlanta, in a way, is isolated from major cities, possibly moreso than Minneapolis.

As I said earlier, the Twin Cities offer diversity but Atlanta blow them out of the water completely. At least we're growing at a faster RATE (the best way to judge growth) than most cities in the country, so throw a little credit our way once in a while. We know Atlanta is the mecca for blacks and seemingly hispanics in the South, and that's pretty admirable.

Why are you growing so fast? I have no f_cking idea actually! This is the 1st time in American history that people have moved from place to place because of littler things like the weather, entertainment, etc. than in the past when it was usually always focused around jobs and family. Obviously Atlanta has both, but clearly the newest trend in the Sunbelt population explosion has less to do with quality of life and joblessness and more to do with weather and fun.

I still don't get what the big deal is.....but I can't wait to find out! Are any of you planning to visit here? Something tells me no.

Your analysis is way off.You act like MN has ever been a mecca for anybody at anytime in the history of this country.ANd nothing has changed.Different things motivate people at different ages of their lives.Atlanta hapens to attract many demographics.
This is what people were saying earlier about blacks moving North after the around 1900's for better opportunity like jobs and less prejudice.But after the Civil War many blacks started getting educated,building business and some elected Governors and Senators of several Southern states.It was this success that scared the defeated white Southerns.They created the KKK to squash the seemingly growing and protected power of blacks by the u.S.Governor.
Qulaity of life is important.Just like how people move to NYC,Chicago or L.A.Thoses cities have higher crime rates,worse schools and more corrupt politics.The reason why people move there is due to the fact they dont have to drive,they have the best of restaurants,clubs etc.Your quality of life may be different for you than the next person.Sometimes living in a "Stepford" situation is not "living" but not being ALIVE.Im not saying MN is boring but.....

Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
I think you Minnesota people must still be really sore and bitter about losing NW Airlines ...
Indeed. Since my dad worked for NW... And the now Delta CEO used to run Northwest. A nice stab in the back.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
That's just fine with us. We aren't interested in rapid growth. Nice steady growth turns out a lot better.

The biggest reason is the weather. I actually love the 4 seasons including winter. The majority of our residents long to go South during the winter. I prefer to stay here.

Ideally we would 5 feet of snow by Thanksgiving. Snowmobiling up here is a blast!! My next favorite winter activity is ice fishing, followed by hockey/skating and then skiing.
THIS IS NOT FRICKIN"" FLORIDA!@!!!*#*#

Its not MN but it get cold often here!!That mwans no leaves on the tress.No Oranges,and NO green grass.!!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Your analysis is way off.You act like MN has ever been a mecca for anybody at anytime in the history of this country.ANd nothing has changed.Different things motivate people at different ages of their lives.Atlanta hapens to attract many demographics.
This is what people were saying earlier about blacks moving North after the around 1900's for better opportunity like jobs and less prejudice.But after the Civil War many blacks started getting educated,building business and some elected Governors and Senators of several Southern states.It was this success that scared the defeated white Southerns.They created the KKK to squash the seemingly growing and protected power of blacks by the u.S.Governor.
Qulaity of life is important.Just like how people move to NYC,Chicago or L.A.Thoses cities have higher crime rates,worse schools and more corrupt politics.The reason why people move there is due to the fact they dont have to drive,they have the best of restaurants,clubs etc.Your quality of life may be different for you than the next person.Sometimes living in a "Stepford" situation is not "living" but not being ALIVE.Im not saying MN is boring but.....
How did you get THAT from what I posted? That's a terrible misconception! There was a slight boom period in the mid 1900's but nothing near the level that Atlanta has now.

You totally just said Minnesota was "Stepford" or boring, again! It's not like that, it just has a family-friendly environment if you wish to live in one. And people in LA DEFINITELY have to drive....even people in Chicago do -- it's not as much of a commuter city as you may think. Plus, crime in Chicago and lack of opportunities is what is forcing many to leave, and to place LIKE Minneapolis or Atlanta, for example.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
THIS IS NOT FRICKIN"" FLORIDA!@!!!*#*#

Its not MN but it get cold often here!!That mwans no leaves on the tress.No Oranges,and NO green grass.!!
It pretty mild in the winter. But when it hits 100 degrees and muggy next summer, I'll post a pic and pretend like that's our norm. Minnesotans would LOVE to have your winters....you seem to not respect how LUCKY you are to have what you have 3 seasons of the year (summer is a bit too hot and muggy for me, and I lived in St. Louis which is probably even hotter and muggier, so I've had experience in that kind of weather).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City