Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:39 AM

499 posts, read 668,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
I owe it to the Minnesotans that their state is the clear cut winner here. Minneapolis is a very fresh city, despite its growth being smaller than Atlanta its economy can be the envy for Georgia. I am not a fan of the Spanish Belt besides Texas and Florida I dont like much else in there, it is a pretty useless region otherwise and I havent seen anything good out of Atlanta in terms of business. Minneapolis for its size packs a wallop of a punch, I prefer it to be one of my top business cities, and probably second only to Chicago in the Midwest. I think both states outside of their metro areas are rural wastelands but Minnesota is prettier. I dont know how progressive Georgia is and what their tolerance for minorities, gays, and women would be like (I am not but my fiance is Latina) but Minnesota probably owns up to that department to.
I hope to the best of future for Minneapolis, the city with much potential and underrated business climate. I think it is "okay" but it is definitely better than most given our economic climate today.

Minnesotans have themselves a fine metro to be proud of. Atlanta was okay, I dont like it but I dont hate it either, its economy does not impress me at all and thats what I'm searching for the most. Georgia is a decent state, nothing impressive but nothing overrated either its fine the way it is and I was shocked to find Atlanta not being the type of Southern I thought it would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Well yes, I say it like it is. And I dont live in Texas, I live in New York, I just said I am interested in doing business in Texas sometime in the future. That does not constitute to me living in Texas hello.
Another thing, I have been reading posts here for a long time too, why is it that Georgians get so defensive over the smallest things? Texas was the better state to Minnesota, so I said it I also said why I thought so. Minnesota given the economic conditions we have at hand is a better state than Georgia in the sense I only care for the economy.
Thank you for telling me about the tolerance, I was not aware Georgia was a tolerant state given its past and my limited exposure to the rural areas of a red state in the south.
I am not here to debate with you, I gave my opinion and I will be moving along now. Have a charming day.
You don't know what you're talking about as far as Georgia and Minnesota on business climate.

Georgia overall edges out Minnesota in that regard and if I was Minnesota I'd be watching my back. I think it's going to be heavily raided for companies in the coming future. The state is one of the most inhospitable places to conduct business.

I think the reason why many companies stay in Minnesota is because they've been there for so long, and/or there's a certain demographic in the state. They're used to it or loyal. But if a change in CEO happens the headquarters could change too.

In the last three years Georgia has snatched large company headquarters like NCR (ohio), Newell Rubbermaid (from Illinois) and Sony Erickson Americas headquarters. So they still got "it" but they really need to keep at this and work harder the state needs a lot more (IMO). Georgia really needs to harness and fund it's universities a lot more.

On the other hand I am not aware of any large headquarter moves from another state to Minnesota.

If I was going to start a business in any state, Minnesota would be one of the last places on my list.

#1 reason is the corporate income tax.

Minnesota's CITax is 9.80% that's one of the highest in the nation, in fact it's the third highest state. Only behind Pennsylvania and Iowa (if you include the District of Columbia it would be 4th)

Georgia on the other hand is one of the lowest at 6.00%.

Sales tax can also be higher in Minnesota.

As far as business taxes and cost of living are concerned Georgia is the better option.

Minnesota did give us one of the greatest bands ever though... Mint Condition!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Crazy thing is you might be right. Pete Caroll's left for the NFL, and USC's not what they used to be as witnessed by some thumpings they've taken from lower level programs lately. Not to mention USC may be looking past Minn. to some bigger games to come. I might could win a grocery sack of money if I put enough on Minnesota. I'm pretty sure they're big underdogs by Vegas. :)
I'm glad I didn't put that money down. It was kinda close though. Minnesota hung in there. I don't know what's up with my Bulldogs .

USC 32
MINN 21

Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Minneapolis and Atlanta have a lot of similarities:

Cost of Living Index:
Minneapolis - 101.1
Atlanta - 94.5
U.S. Average - 100

Estimated Median Household Income:
Atlanta - $48,865
Minneapolis - $48,724

Estimated Median House or Condo Value:
Atlanta - $254,600
Minneapolis - $237,500

Bachelor's Degree:
Minneapolis - 37.4%
Atlanta - 34.6%

Graduate or Professional Degree:
Atlanta - 13.8 %
Minneapolis - 13.1%

Who knew?
I'm going to repost this - everyone is still talking about how one city is better than the other. LOOK AT THE SIMILARITIES.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
Minnesota did give us one of the greatest bands ever though... Mint Condition!
I know Prince is from Minneapolis, but I had no clue my favorite band of all time was from Minnesota. The state just moved up a few notches in my book.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM

499 posts, read 668,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And I really wish people would stop acting like a certain amount of social segregation isn't natural. This overemphasis on multiculturalism and diversity really bugs the hell out of me sometimes, and I'm saying this as someone that's part of a group that benefits from it sometimes (an African American).

I also hate the implications that are made sometimes (not saying this is the case here) that somehow social segregation along racial lines is Black folks' fault. In many cases (not all) all around the country, venues that now have a primarily Black clientele started out with a majority White clientele, but when Blacks started showing up, White folks stopped patronizing these establishments. It tends to be a different version of the all-too-familiar White flight narrative, just applied within a different context.

Couldn't have said it better myself, thank goodness for you Georgians and your mettle, one of the best posts ever

It's rampant on this City-Data site and certain areas to call Black people racist like its the new fad around here, "reverse racism" is what it's called (how can the oppressed be the oppressor?). Doesn't make any sense at all. Black people can't be racist IMO. They don't hate white people because of the color of their skin if they hate them at all, unlike the other way around. They didn't go out on hostile voyages of conquest to other far away places on the planet.

If a Black person ever to happens to have a dislike for White people it's because of what has happened in history, for thing like slavery, treated as less than human, the discrimination and inferiority treatment and the frustration that leads to even today.

This concealed backdoor racism is rampant on this site and areas (particularly in Virginia, Maryland and D.C. forums and areas in real life).

Old 09-19-2010, 08:53 AM

124 posts, read 326,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
awww,....do you want a shoulder to cry on? What can I do to heal your feelings?
You really don't like to be held accountable for your own words, do you. Thanks for the DM, but it revealed your weakness and inability to be responsible for what you've said. Your words speak for themselves -- on this thread/ forum or on the Minneapolis forum. It's fascinating that you just posted another thread basically saying that you've never been to Atlanta, but would like to visit. So what made you decide to be an authority on this particular thread?

A parting quote for you: "The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of an eye -- the more light you shine upon it, the more it shrinks."

Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
That's one thing that really bugs me about the Atlanta area -- the amount of racial segregation (or self-segregation). Everybody in those videos are black.
Okay now, this is the remark that got this whole race discussion started. It was in response to a video I showed of the Sun Set Lounge on this Memorial Day weekend. I hung out there.

One of the problems with this statement is it makes it look as if all the Black people in that video said one day "Hmm, what can I do this weekend to get away from white folks? I know. Sunset Lounge. Won't be any whitey there!

Do you know why most of those people came/come to Sunset Lounge?

Here's why.
1.) They have good DJ's that spin good Urban Music
2.) They have good food and drinks in a very nice attractive setting.
3.) It's upscale which means they don't have to worry about any thugs and hoodlums showing up likely spoiling the party.
4.) Many of the women know it's frequented by celebrities and star NFL,NBA players from around the country that love to come to ATL to party. If they got it together enough they may snag one of them.
5.) NBA,NFL, players and musicians know they can chill there in a safe environment and have alot of the most beautiful women in the Metro (or U.S. for that matter IMO) come after them.
6.) Some (I outgrew this after my college days) come just to be able to star gaze. Especially college students from places where they aren't seen. Ludacris showed up, Allen Ivenson's there all the time I've seen other well known people there just hangin out.
7.) To mingle and socialize with whoever shows up there black, white, red, yellow whatever (not trying to offend with the colors. I realize some don't like being called yellow it was just to make a point)
8.) It's more laid back and relaxed with a lot of professionals compared to some of the clubs for younger clientele. It's more for the "grown and sexy" crowd.

Why were there not more White, Asian, Hispanic people there? I HONESTLY HAVE NO IDEA. It certainly wasn't because it's in a hidden unknown spot or because the people would have been hostile to them. You would have to ask them that. But the people that did show up showed up for the reasons above and more Not because they wanted to "Self Segregate".

Here's another video of Sunset Lounge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPat0DsmBj0

Last edited by Galounger; 09-19-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Maybe Allen Iverson is behind this outrage. He appears to be atleast a part owner of Sun Set Lounge or something and I spotted this video of his Birthday Mansion Pool Party in Atlanta this summer with only a couple of white people there. Shame on you A.I. Maybe he's a secret member of the Black KKK.

YouTube - Allen Iverson Mansion Pool Party Birthday Bash

Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
That's just fine with us. We aren't interested in rapid growth. Nice steady growth turns out a lot better.

The biggest reason is the weather. I actually love the 4 seasons including winter. The majority of our residents long to go South during the winter. I prefer to stay here.

Ideally we would 5 feet of snow by Thanksgiving. Snowmobiling up here is a blast!! My next favorite winter activity is ice fishing, followed by hockey/skating and then skiing.
Sounds like you don't have a job .
If you had a comute, you wouldn't think Minnesota winters are that great.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
I found this to be a pretty interesting article from C-D a few years back.

Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2008/city/atlanta - broken link)

I don't know how they rated things, but I'm not sure I agree with all of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City