Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, I know this - but west336 has made some very outlandish statements on this subject.
I do agree, and think the rhetoric needs to be toned down a tad.

I should mention, though, that MN has a school at #116 on that list, and that's much closer to Walton's ranking than any other Georgia school.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, you have children, right? Did you notice a dramatic drop in the quality of their educations between MPS & ATL?
We don't have kids, no, but I know others who have moved to the Atlanta metro and have been pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the schools
here.

I happen to think that Minnesota's reputation for quality education is very well-deserved, but I also think that Atlanta metro schools can be very good, and that many of the schools in the suburban counties at least are far better then general State of Georgia statistics would indicate.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 09-20-2010 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: I meant 116. Put 118 originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Couldn't tell you....I haven't read the list yet, you summarized it well enough so I didn't have to. Maybe I'll check how the ranks were comprised.

Plus, you are being punks, and I'm so tired of dealing with it that I'm about ready to let you "win" and I'll stop responding. All you do is complain and not provide any interesting statistics or opinions, or give credit when others do. I HAVE CHILDREN and Georgia is off the radar for places to live because of SCHOOLS, so until GA starts putting more money and efforts into public schools, many people will be put off by that. And I think schools are (or should be) one of the top priorities when considering relocating.
Speaking as a product of a Twin Cities metro school system (Hopkins rocks, etc.), I think you need to do some due diligence before judging the schools in the Atlanta metro.

The "general wisdom" on the subject does not reflect the reality.

Schools are generally funded at the county level or the city level. It ain't a state issue, and some of the schools in my immediate area are really quite good.

Based purely on anecdotal evidence, I'd stack a half-dozen Cobb County schools against any high schools in the Twin Cities metro. I know Walton would hold its own easily, even against Edina and the like, and suspect the rest would fit right in as well.

I'm talking scholastically, of course ... Twin Cities schools would kick Atlanta schools three ways from Sunday in hockey. But that goes with the territory, and Georgia people seem to rightfully prefer warm-weather sports like football.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Do Georgia schools have hockey programs?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Appreciate the input! The Twin Cities actually are a U.S. designatee for foreign immigration. I want to say some of the up-and-coming cities for new immigrants are MPLS/St. Paul, Atlanta, Seattle, and maybe Detroit. You may find that surprising or you may have already known that.
No, I already knew that the Twin Cities was a popular destination for foreign immigrants, but when compared to Atlanta it is probably only gaining less than 5% of the growth that Metro Atlanta is receiving. Just the growth in the Korean population is astonishing. In 2000, we had the 6th or 7th largest Korean population, now we have the 2nd largest having just passed up NYC a few years ago. If things remain the same, we will pass Los Angeles by mid-decade. Similar things have been happening with the latin population (which has grown at 3 to 4 times the rate) and africans and recently eastern Europeans. Particularly Georgians (I think they get a kick out of moving from Georgia to Georgia).

Outside Metro Atlanta, the latino population booming as well. Particularly on the farms in South Georgia and the mill towns and chicken processing plants (Georgia is #1 for chicken production) in the North Georgia mountains. There were towns in both areas that we're either 90% white (North Georgia) or 90% black (South Georgia) just 20 years ago that are just half that now.

The change has been incredible. My parents relocated back in the 70s, and trust me, Georgia in every corner of the state is nothing like it was 30 years ago. I guess that tends to happen when you add just as many residents in 30 years (5 million) as the state did in it's first 200 years.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Couldn't tell you....I haven't read the list yet, you summarized it well enough so I didn't have to. Maybe I'll check how the ranks were comprised.

Plus, you are being punks, and I'm so tired of dealing with it that I'm about ready to let you "win" and I'll stop responding. All you do is complain and not provide any interesting statistics or opinions, or give credit when others do. I HAVE CHILDREN and Georgia is off the radar for places to live because of SCHOOLS, so until GA starts putting more money and efforts into public schools, many people will be put off by that. And I think schools are (or should be) one of the top priorities when considering relocating.
Again with the punk crap.

I have a feeling you are yet another one of those people that are NEVER, EVER wrong about anything, anywhere, anytime.

You obviously have absolutey zero knowledge of anything related to Georgia, yet you continue to spew your extremely biased opinion as fact.

I'm not surprised in the least that you NOW decide to stop responding.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Straw man that's not what I said I’m not talking abroad and I’m naming specific stuff. I said "Again when MN ahead it’s a fact and we can’t accept GA not being ahead ), but when GA is ahead in something everything is suddenly an opinion which yall can argue." ) That's call a double standard. Do you realize if Georgia posters was anything like yall all we have to say when yall start talking about k-12 schools and etc, is are schools is better in are opinion. Or yall have more F500 companies but in my opinion are our companies better. ) that's a fallacy you can't do that in a debate.

On the side are the statistics for degrees and financing for research it is what is.
ARCHE Report: Higher Education in America

How in anyway can MN compare to GA in Media? who makes the most money off the crap? How in anyway can MN compare to GA in diversity this is debative? let me guess your opinion? ) Logistics debative really? cause yall opinion ummm ) Yall feel that yall airport is nicer ) who freakin care who looks nicer, it nicer in yall opinion but it takes yall to lesser places. ) What up there can compare to the port of savannah. lets talk substance OMG.

You don't get it your refuting this would be like us refuting, yall have a highier income par capita etc. It's not up for a debate for a opinion. I not stating beliefs your stating beliefs, I'm stating facts anything MN beat GA I would say it. But YOU ARE refuting facts and inserting opinions.

I'm entitled to my opinion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seven fallacies of thought and reason

Their it goes again I'm not asking you which networks, radio stations, news papers and cable providers and etc do you like I’m asking which one more a media hub itself.

No, that's my logic because I'm not stating opinion when being ask about facts. I would say in your logic but your not using logic but opinions. By your comments if someone said GA topography more diverse "fact" but you would come back and say you like MN hilly more.

I never care whether you love or hate which state I don't care. But the game yall playing is as stupid as going my city skyline is as grand as New York because it's my opinion. )

I said this you before
A majority of things we are arguing are quality related. There is no way anyone can accurately asses which state has better this, or better that. Just no way!

Yes, Atlanta has the largest airport in the world. Yet, I prefer MSP. I'm entitled to my opinion, right? Even though I fly everywhere for free, I still care about having a nice airport. When that inevitable 5-hour layover comes a callin', believe me, I wouldn't want to spend it at Hartsfield.

Yes, with a larger population, Atlanta would have a larger media presence. I'm sorry to say I was sorely disappointed by the AJC. Does anyone have any thoughts on newspapers in the area?

You seem to have a very sour outlook on others opinions, yes, opinions. And you keep bringing up the same boring talk points... you have a big airport, Turner Broadcasting, diversity, ect. Is there anything else worth talking about?

Oh, and the Twin Ports of Duluth and Superior are larger than the Port of Savannah, as of 2004.

List of ports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by emcee squared; 09-20-2010 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 01:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Yes. Several High Schools in the Northern suburbs do.

Georgia Student Hockey League Hockey Website Software By GOALLINE.ca

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. The only sports in Georgia high schools are (in order of importance):

Football
Basketball
Baseball
Soccer
Tennis
Cross Country
Track and Field
Lacrosse
Greco-Roman Wrestling
Golf
Volleyball
Swimming

Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes. Several High Schools in the Northern suburbs do.

Interesting, I didn't know they were doing this now. Make sense as it seems to be centered on the Northern Burbs aka southern Connecticut

Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I'm actually not sure, but I know there are leagues here:

May not be directly affiliated with schools, tho. It's an expensive sport.

Walton might have a polo team, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City