Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Many fine artists indeed but I prefer the indie/alt/grunge styles that came out of the Minneapolis Music scene. I also think that many would have reached a higher level of artistic enlightenment if they had left Georgia and honed their craft in Minnesota, such as Leo Kottke did. James Brown would have been much better with an accordian and clarinet and a more dangerous band backing him up.

Worlds Most dangerous Polka Band-
Georgia has train loads of indie /alt/underground artist. I just focused on the big name ones. Takes long enough just to do that.

Didn't you know James Brown played a mean accordion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
[quote=waronxmas;15732431]I could spend a lot of time detailing just how much the above is incorrect, but I won't. Mostly "hip-hop and country"? SMH Yeah, Georgia barely has had any influence on R&B, Soul, post-punk, and metal. None at all. LOL

Just so you know, EVERY city has underground hip-hop. Minneapolis is nothing special in that regard.[/quote]

It's been noted by multiple outlets - Print Media. Websites and Articles claiming Minneapolis and the Twin Cities as the underground mecca.

Twin Cities Hip Hop - Minnesota Hip-Hop
Twin Cities hip hop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Flywriter, I have to say you can't possibly be right about MN hip-hop or its musical influence in this country in general. I mean, we have some decent talent and history, but I have to say Georgia is like top 5 in the country, and MN is middle of the pack. I'm not a music buff so I can consider myself unbiased. I just don't want Atlanta or Georgia posters to think everyone in MN is naive and believes we have this unreal music scene here -- we don't -- but it's not too bad I guess, like Flywriter enthusiastically point out!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Didn't you know James Brown played a mean accordion?
Truthfully, I like his earlier work better.

YouTube - I Feel Good (Accordion)

Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

It's been noted by multiple outlets - Print Media. Websites and Articles claiming Minneapolis and the Twin Cities as the underground mecca.

Twin Cities Hip Hop - Minnesota Hip-Hop
Twin Cities hip hop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Again, EVERY city has underground hip-hop. It's been around since day one in early 70s. Both links you provided did nothing to show that Minneapolis is some how special in this regard. There are a few good underground groups there (like Atmosphere) but it doesn't close to comparing to the underground scenes in NYC, LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, Houston, San Francisco, hell even Toronto let alone their commercial scenes. That's just reality.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:30 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
How could anyone vote against the state that introduced us to this

YouTube - Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K): Gumby in Robot Rumpus

and this

YouTube - Let's Bowl

Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 PM

So much for this thread not lasting more than 3 pages!! Good thread!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Again, EVERY city has underground hip-hop. It's been around since day one in early 70s. Both links you provided did nothing to show that Minneapolis is some how special in this regard. There are a few good underground groups there (like Atmosphere) but it doesn't close to comparing to the underground scenes in NYC, LA, Atlanta, Chicago, Philly, Houston, San Francisco, hell even Toronto let alone their commercial scenes. That's just reality.
1) Undergound is a dead term, it's 'Indie' Hip-Hop.

2) Let's keep comparing cities like Chicago (3,000,000), Philadelphia (1,200,000), San Fran (800,000), NYC (8,000,000), LA (4,000,000), Toronto (2,000,000), Houston (3,000,000) to a city like Minneapolis (390,000)

"there are a few good underground groups there"

Brother Ali
I self Devine
Eyedea and Abilities
P.O.S
and Doomtree
Heiruspecs
and Atmosphere are all nationally touring acts and are all considered heavyweights in this 'underground' rap.

For a city with 390,000 in the Midwest, the 'Indie Hip Hop' is very impressive.

Compared to Denver, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Seattle, Pittsburgh and San Diego (you know, cities that are actually comprable) MPLS has a great Indie hip Hop scene.

That's just reality bro. Don't get salty because your town has Young Jeezey and my town has Prince

Old 09-02-2010, 03:47 PM

If you people knew anything about music, production, engineering, mixing and recording you'd understand that Southern Hip Hop, more notably 'Hotlanta' Hip Hop is some of the easiest, most simplistic music around. Easy beat production, slow, 1...2...3...4 rap, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, bridge (with some Autotune mixed in) and then the song ending in "YAAAAHHHHH ATL BOOOIEEE"

I'll make a fruity loops song when I get home and upload it on here and you'll probably think that it was done by Young Jeezy

Old 09-02-2010, 03:52 PM

^That's why I don't like rap anymore....there's no substance to it at all! It's literally stupid....but I like the beat!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City