Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I was speaking very generally. Still, rap and country are the two most popular forms of music in the South. The last time I was in Georgia, I noticed they had a comparatively high number of hip-hop and country radio stations. Most people I know down there seem to be into rap or country (or both). Georgia is known across the country for its rap and country music scenes. MOST music from GA (and the South in general) is either rap or country (NOT ALL, I know there are rock bands from the South).
I don't know about that.

In Atlanta, which is underserved, considering that radio frequencies were assigned many decades ago, divied out according to population of the time. As a result, Atlanta has the number of radio stations of a smaller city, such as Pittsburgh. The same can be said for many sunbelt metros.

As far as I know, in Metro Atlanta:

Country Stations:

94.9 "The Bull"
96.7 "The Legend" (Classic country) (best signal in south Metro; Peachtree city)
Kicks 101.5
106.1 WNGC (Athens; heard throughout north and east metro Atlanta)
South 107.1 (Rome; heard throughout north and west metro Atlanta)

"Rap/Hip Hop"

V 103 (103.3)
Kiss 104.1 (this really isn't hip hop, but may play it ocassionally, unless mistaken; not a listener)
Hot 107.9

95.5 used to be rap. It's been changed to news/talk.
96.7 was once rap/hip hop. It's been changed to classic country.

There are others:

Rock:

92.9 Dave FM (Diversified Rock)
Project 9-6-1 (Alternative & Hard Rock)
97.1 "The River" (Classic Hits Rock & Classic Rock)
97.9 (99X) (Alternative Rock)
Rock 100.5 (Hard Rock)
105.7 (Classic Rock)

Contemporary Christian:

Victory 91.5 (North Metro)
J 93.3
104.7 "The Fish"
Assorted Emmanuel Broadcasting Network Frequencies (2 or 3).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
hahaha....i have broadband. it's just so retarded that all these threads are flooded with youtube postings. "hmmm, someone mentions one of my favorite artists, so let me post 10 videos from them to prove my point"
I guess I can take credit for starting that. I wanted to make the point that it's musical prowess was one point Georgia had over Minnesota so I posted a three part collection of music video's show casing Georgia's most legendary as well as biggest selling contemporary artist (one video for each artist). It took about three pages to show just most of my favorites and I still left a lot out. (like I couldn't remember the name of 112 and forgot Cameo).

I posted videos because even tho I could have just shown a list I thought the videos really showed the depth, variety and quality of Georgia's artist. You might find them very entertaining if you peek Part III especially. Visual images speak much much louder than words. After I posted them some Minnesotans tried to actually say " Big deal our music scene is as big as yours" As If! This sparked a debate that's raged on for several pages now.

Oh yeah. And it's true what they're telling you above about the South started rock and roll. Bands like the Beetles and the Stones got their start playing Southern Blues which was hugely popular in England back then (I've heard them say this in interviews). And the first huge Rock Star was from Memphis Tenn. I think you know who he is.

Quote:
That why it's just 3 ) you buggin like I posted 5 or 6 on the last page. But I'm going to chill though, in fact talking about music is now getting old. All Genres!
I feel the same. Think we have established that Georgia's Musical talent Dwarfs Minnesota's despite Prince and Bob Dylan (that falls into the culture category the OP mentioned.). I also proved Georgia's large Universities outdo Minnesota. We proved Georgia does have winter (No not not Engine Block freezing ones like you but we do have them.) and atleast in Atlanta our summers are not that severe (most years). Georgia has more variety of natural scenery, more diversity, better public transportation a bigger economy more Culture. Atlanta is more significant than the Twin Cities but none of that matters in City Data World where stereotypes and hatred of the South reigns supreme. I'm glad I live in the real World where Georgia is one of the fastest growing States in the Union not Minn.

Last edited by Galounger; 09-03-2010 at 07:24 AM..

Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
I think they call that a "parting shot".

Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Funny you mentioned that.
I've pointed out the EXACT same thing time and time again in other threads. Some don't (or conveniently choose not to) believe that.
I totally belive ATL is flashy....I wonder who disagrees with that?? MN is anti-flash, so to speak, and it's frowned upon to flaunt wealth or status here. I don't know why that is (for either state), but I guess you have to play by the rules to get along (for me it's easy though, I have not much to flash anyways ).

Old 09-03-2010, 08:01 AM

24 posts, read 48,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshHat
I love Tibilisi, so I gotta vote for Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Is this sarcasm?
No. Just a bit o' fun.

I also love St. Petersburg, but that belongs in a different thread!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I totally belive ATL is flashy....I wonder who disagrees with that?? MN is anti-flash, so to speak, and it's frowned upon to flaunt wealth or status here. I don't know why that is (for either state), but I guess you have to play by the rules to get along (for me it's easy though, I have not much to flash anyways ).
LOL.
I guess it's all relative. For example, I'm an Atlantan, and find L.A., Miami, Houston and Dallas to be 'flashier' cities.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I was speaking very generally. Still, rap and country are the two most popular forms of music in the South. The last time I was in Georgia, I noticed they had a comparatively high number of hip-hop and country radio stations. Most people I know down there seem to be into rap or country (or both). Georgia is known across the country for its rap and country music scenes. MOST music from GA (and the South in general) is either rap or country (NOT ALL, I know there are rock bands from the South).
You totally skipped over Soul and R&B though. It's more than just Hip-Hop.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Yes, MN has beaches.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs054.snc4/35072_687361824791_56000713_39046661_1873360_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I don't know about that.

In Atlanta, which is underserved, considering that radio frequencies were assigned many decades ago, divied out according to population of the time. As a result, Atlanta has the number of radio stations of a smaller city, such as Pittsburgh. The same can be said for many sunbelt metros.

As far as I know, in Metro Atlanta:

Country Stations:

94.9 "The Bull"
96.7 "The Legend" (Classic country) (best signal in south Metro; Peachtree city)
Kicks 101.5
106.1 WNGC (Athens; heard throughout north and east metro Atlanta)
South 107.1 (Rome; heard throughout north and west metro Atlanta)

"Rap/Hip Hop"

V 103 (103.3)
Kiss 104.1 (this really isn't hip hop, but may play it ocassionally, unless mistaken; not a listener)
Hot 107.9

95.5 used to be rap. It's been changed to news/talk.
96.7 was once rap/hip hop. It's been changed to classic country.

There are others:

Rock:

92.9 Dave FM (Diversified Rock)
Project 9-6-1 (Alternative & Hard Rock)
97.1 "The River" (Classic Hits Rock & Classic Rock)
97.9 (99X) (Alternative Rock)
Rock 100.5 (Hard Rock)
105.7 (Classic Rock)

Contemporary Christian:

Victory 91.5 (North Metro)
J 93.3
104.7 "The Fish"
Assorted Emmanuel Broadcasting Network Frequencies (2 or 3).
Rap is rarely played on 104.1, and I can't remember hearing it on that station. This station is mainly oldies R&B. This is the station I listen to. It plays the oldies R&B that I like.
Minneapolis natives whose songs get played on 104.1: Prince. Actually, I think
Morris Day's "Gigolo's Get Lonely Too" might have been played on this station too, and Morris Day is also an Mpls native.
Atlanta natives whose songs get played on 104.1: Gladys Knight and the Pipps, Mother's Finest, and SOS Band.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Mother's Finest is out of Atlanta. This is the first song I heard from them, on the radio of all places:

YouTube - MOTHER'S FINEST - LOVE CHANGES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City