Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I guess the bottom line of what I'm saying through all this is despite what the polls say to me Georgia seems the logical choice. Why? Because going by the OP's criteria Georgia has everything Minnesota has (except a whole lota lakes and digit (fingers,toes that is) killing cold weather) plus a lot more.

Natural Scenery: Minnesota scores with lakes but other than that Georgia has all that Minnesota has plus bigger Mountains, the Ocean, beautiful interesting Swamps. And all in a smaller more compact area.

Culture: Georgia has more history which equals more culture, Way more diversity which in my book equals more culture. We already established Georgia's musical scene historically and present day blows Minnesota out the water. Georgia has CNN, TBS, TNT, TMC, The Cartoon Network, The Weather Channel. Minnesota has nothing like any of that.

Education: Georgia has higher ranked Universities. Georgia's low SATs and high drop rate out only proves we have too many knuckle heads that don't take advantage of the education we have available here (a bad thing yes). I attended a pretty typical Georgia High School and scored in the 80 percentile on the SAT (top 20%) I had a classmate that scored perfect on the SAT another was accepted to the Naval Academy (He had to have written recommendation from his State Representative in addition to excellent academics and athletic achievement for this) One 2 years my senior is a judge and one is an Air Force Major (impressive rank for his age). When I attended college in Ohio my English 101 and Economic class's were a cake walk in comparison to the college prep classes I took at this High School. Plus Georgia has the HOPE scholarship so those who do take advantage (like yours truly again) can attend college free of tuition as long as they maintain a B average. Minnesota has nothing like this.

And Alabama doesn't come close to Georgia in that category either ^.

Yeah. I'll say it again. Using the OP's criteria, Georgia has everything Minnesota has except a bunch of lakes and Double digit below freezing weather. Plus Georgia has alot more. The only reason someone would vote Minnesota is if they are biased
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Minnesota's freight tonnage is skewed high mostly due to the tons of wheat it handles. I'm willing to bet Georgia handles more freight $$$ value wise.
According to this:

http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/freight_analysis/faf/state_info/faf2/pdfs/mn.pdf (broken link)

The freight in 2002 was broken out thusly:

Total 280.7 million tons

Nonmetal min. prods. 81.0 million
Cereal grains 42.1 million
Gravel 21.7 million
Metallic ores 13.2 million
Waste/scrap 11.9 million

Don't forget that MN is home to the Mesabi Iron Range, which means a lot of ore gets moved around. Also, there is granite and coal moving actoss the state from other states. Lots of weight.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'm starting to think Alabama vs. Georgia would be a more fair poll....so much in common! And who knows, maybe GA will actually win!
Another sure win for Georgia.

VS.

Golden Golphers indeed. LMAO!!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
GEORGIA SUCKS, according to this poll. Despite all of your bickering you still can't sway people's votes. The only reason Georgia could win a poll is if they went up against a foe that was as thick as they are or moreso. Keep on drooling GA, you'll get that pooch if you try hard enough!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Yeah. I'll say it again. Using the OP's criteria, Georgia has everything Minnesota has except a bunch of lakes and Double digit below freezing weather. Plus Georgia has alot more. The only reason someone would vote Minnesota is if they are biased
Or, they'd prefer to get a better high school education and graduate.
Or, they'd prefer to live a healthier environment.
Or, they'd prefer to get a higher paying job.
Or, they'd prefer to be less likely to become a victim of crime.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:34 PM

I still want to know where in Ohio Galounger went....and how well he kicked a$$ in school.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Or, they'd prefer to get a better high school education and graduate.
Or, they'd prefer to live a healthier environment.
Or, they'd prefer to get a higher paying job.
Or, they'd prefer to be less likely to become a victim of crime.
Believe me, there are not 79 voteres who picked MN out of bias alone. There are MAYBE 10 of us who post regularly, and you have 20 to 30 easily. So maybe there's 60 GA haters out there and you can only blame yourselves for that, since you make every thread about ATL or GA and make everywhere else seem as if they belong in a different stratosphere than you. Maybe if you were cooler about vs. polls or just participated in a positive way you'd see "fairer" results.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:37 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
LOL!!! How old are you? Let me guess - 14.

I'm from the south and I voted Minnesota, not because I'm biased, but because I actually like MN. I have nothing against GA, but MN does it for me. End of story.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:43 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Another sure win for Georgia.

VS.

Golden Golphers indeed. LMAO!!
So Georgia has dogs that look better than their women. Not surprised.

People in MN care about the Golden Gophers below than the football Gophers.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:44 PM

....He went to college, Blackout....but I'm trying to find out where because he thought Econ 101 (101!!!!) was a breeze compared to his HS (hey, mine too, but what are you bragging about?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City