Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,811,188 times

Advertisements

Since this whole "real winter" thing is relative, then I guess it's fair to say that when compared to Alaska, Minnesota doesn't have a "real winter" either.

This weather discussion has gotten pretty stupid. I have no clue why the Minnesotans are making such a big deal out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,646,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wow. As long as kids are legal and don't trash stuff, why not let them drink?

I don't get it.

Maybe I'm not all growed up yet...

Of course, the last Gophers football game I went to was in Memorial Stadium, so it's been a while. Not as fun as Williams Arena or Mariucci, either, because the Gophs haven't had a consistently good football team since before I was born.
They give breathalizers. And it's not just for "stumbling" drunk kids. My buddy had to blow and he wasn't even a student and we weren't even drinking.

That's MN for you. Overly strict rules. The State Legislature voted not to... And.. The U of M lost about $1,000,000 last year in potential alcohol sales.

I guess slamming beers and shots and then wobbling down University Avenue is safer I guess.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,523,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
They give breathalizers. And it's not just for "stumbling" drunk kids. My buddy had to blow and he wasn't even a student and we weren't even drinking.

That's MN for you. Overly strict rules. The State Legislature voted not to... And.. The U of M lost about $1,000,000 last year in potential alcohol sales.

I guess slamming beers and shots and then wobbling down University Avenue is safer I guess.
Yep. 95% of the students walk there anyway, so no not much need to worry about DUIs. Might as well regulate sales during the game (price keeps people from drinking too much), rather than having kids get plastered an hour beforehand.

But, to be honest, I'll probably still drink before games anyway. Not so much that it ruins my experience, though. Adults and season ticket holders probably oppose the rule more than students.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM

23 posts, read 34,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Since this whole "real winter" thing is relative, then I guess it's fair to say that when compared to Alaska, Minnesota doesn't have a "real winter" either.

This weather discussion has gotten pretty stupid. I have no clue why the Minnesotans are making such a big deal out of it.

Youd be surprised with how much alike are winters are with anchorage Alaska. The average highs for both are the same for December and January and slightly higher in Minneapolis for February.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,646,283 times
Yeah, come to Minnesota around January 14th and stay until January 18th and tell me how much 'winters are relative'. It's like death. Just like I'd imagine GA is in the middle of July.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 PM

23 posts, read 34,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Yeah, come to Minnesota around January 14th and stay until January 18th and tell me how much 'winters are relative'. It's like death. Just like I'd imagine GA is in the middle of July.
Personally i think are winters are like death allways i hate it. I walk outside and freeze

Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,746,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaaa View Post
52 degrees is warm weather you dont even need a coat. Georgia is mostly warm year round you ever wonder why so many people that live in the northern part of the states have winter homes in the south. Its not because we have the same weather its because its warmer. Even right now its 82 in Atlanta and 66 in Minneapolis. But your the one saying it gets cold your right you have a couple weeks of a cold snap and thats that. That doesnt constitute as winter. Want to know another shocker NOT once is Atlantas average high below 50 degrees
You obviously never lived in North Georgia.A cold snap for you in -10 is a cold snap.For us it is 22-35 degrees.It routinely is over 40 degrees more days in the week than a random occurrence like some of you would have it.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,375,008 times
40 degrees? That's shorts weather! Seriously, if it was 40 degrees in January I would be outside on a lawn chair in shorts with a cold beer. You Georgians know nothing of cold. As someone said earlier, your winter is like our late spring.

Even though it may get "cold!" (10 degrees) in Georgia for a day or two, it almost never drops below zero. Considering that the AVERAGE winter low in Mankato, which is in balmy southern Minnesota, is 3 degrees, that's nothing. Atlantans were complaining of a week of 30 degree temps last winter. That's a heatwave in Minnesota, or even states like Michigan or Illinois.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,811,188 times
So Georgia doesn't have a "real winter," and so I suppose that means Minnesota also doesn't have a "real summer." Now can we move on from this extremely subjective, asinine weather argument?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,523,239 times
Feel free to discuss: Which state do you think is nicest/scenic outside of the main metro? Rural GA or rural MN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City