Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:30 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,045,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Boy. I must have been sleeping. I didn't realize the Twin Cities had built the worlds largest aquarium and international News and Entertainment television networks. And added an Engineering School that's only outranked by M.I.T, Stanford and Berkley in the United States. The largest Engineering School in the United States. And they added one of (if not the) the largest most successful collection of historically black colleges in the World. Or the worlds tallest hotel? Or that their Airport had become the world's busiest with the most flights all over the world. Since when did the Twin Cities get a Centers for Disease Control or a University that's ranked in the top 20 for all public schools in America (right behind Notre Dame). When did they get a music industry that a few years ago had the majority of the artist on Billboards top 10 one week belonging to it. I guess they traded in their light rail system for a faster higher capacity heavy rail system with more stations and miles of track. So the Twin Cities now have Movie and Television production studios, a park with the worlds largest exposed granite monument? Is a regular host to several Nationaly televised music award shows? The Twin Cities now has parks and monuments left over from their Summer Olympics? When did they have these Olympics?

I'm confused. They must have gotten all this stuff because BlackOut just said the Twin Cities has everything that Metro Atlanta has.
The Twin Cities have all the same things as Atlanta.

World class museums, a perfectly capable airport, large malls, excellent private and public universities (4th largest in enrollment, U of M). An arts/theater scene second only to NY/Chicago.

I will go out on a limb and say there is nothing in Atlanta you can't experience in the Cities.
Did you read what he or she posted? He or she stated specific stuff it was rhetorical but yet you say the twin cities have all the same things as Atlanta? Anyways

LMAO you can't find diversity. can you find something to match buford highway and etc.
You can't find the entertainment and fashion opportunities.
You can't find major events that Atlanta is consider for. World Cup bid offers Atlanta as media headquarters - Atlanta Business Chronicle
it don't even got to be that big just a freakin televise awards show or something.
You can't find the wide range of highier educational institutions period. there's not one HBCU up there yet Atlanta got 3.
You can't find the number national register of historic places.
You can't find several over 1,000 feet low mountain in the same Metro, we got fake lakes yall don't have fake moutains. .
You can't find the number of new development projects in general either.
You can't find a airport to take you to the same number of places. "perfectly capable airport" LOL you can fly from The twin cities to Africa directly? really

Keep going? their's like a tire rank of differences The twin cities are a great metro for it’s size and things it has but come on now. Are yall trying to make Atlanta nothing but population and boast Minneapolis up to Atlanta at the same time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,716,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
115,000 between the 2 lines isn't inconceivable. That's less than 60,000 per line.

This line will give people in the East Metro access to Mall Of America and the airport as well as connect Downtown Minneapolis to Downtown St. Paul. The line also runs through the University of Minnesota's main campus as well as densely populated neighborhoods like Frogtown and Summit Hill. Like I said, not inconceivable.

I think it's pitiful that for how extensive BART is (104 miles with 43 stations) that they only manage a ridership of 3300 per mile.

Actually, the Hiawatha Line was recently updated to accommodate trains with 4 cars. I would imagine the Central Corridor will be the same. Just because a train can hold 2000 people doesn't mean that it actually does at all times. I've ridden the 6 train in NYC from Times Square to Harlem with barely a soul on board, granted it was 4am.

Because MSP is half the size of ATL and your system is far more mature. Heavy rail systems are a thing of the past. We will never see another heavy rail system implemented in the US ever again, they're just too expensive to construct. Only cities like NYC and Chicago will make additions to their systems, but even they have proposals for light rail lines (42nd St and Lakeshore Dr). Just look at LA and Atlanta, they have heavy rail systems, but all the future expansions are in the form of light rail.

IMO, ridership per track mile shows how useful a system really is. Based on ridership per mile, Minneapolis ranks 7th ahead SF, Newark, Denver, Portland, and San Diego.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
TOP CITIES FOR PUBLIC TRANSIT
1 New York, NY 55%
2 Washington, DC 37%
3 Boston, MA 31%
4 San Francisco, CA 31%
5 Chicago, IL 27%
6 Philadelphia, PA 27%
7 Newark, NJ 26%
8 Baltimore, MD 25%
9 Pittsburgh, PA 22%
10 Minneapolis, MN 17%
11 Seattle, WA 17%
12 Atlanta, GA 16%
13 Buffalo, NY 16%
14 Oakland, CA 13%
15 New Orleans, LA 12%
16 Cleveland, OH 12%
17 Portland, OR 12%
18 Saint Paul, MN 12%
19 Los Angeles, CA 12%
20 Honolulu, HI 11%

Uh, if anything winter is the best time to ride it. I lived in Denver in 2006 when there were 2 huge blizzards back-to-back that shut down the entire city, minus the light rail system that is. The roads weren't plowed and the buses weren't running, but the trains kept right on chugging.

I agree.
You know that list is from 2004?Atlanta experienced one of the largest increases in public transportation in America since actually around 2004 to present?

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:57 AM..

Old 09-11-2010, 01:55 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,777,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
6: 1 odds this thread gets less than 3 pages long.

Unless it's about NJ, FL, NYC, LA or Chicago it's a dead thread. Sadly that's what C-D has become.
98 pages and counting ...

Old 09-11-2010, 03:10 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,509,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Did you read what he or she posted? He or she stated specific stuff it was rhetorical but yet you say the twin cities have all the same things as Atlanta? Anyways

LMAO you can't find diversity. can you find something to match buford highway and etc.
You can't find the entertainment and fashion opportunities.
You can't find major events that Atlanta is consider for. World Cup bid offers Atlanta as media headquarters - Atlanta Business Chronicle
it don't even got to be that big just a freakin televise awards show or something.
You can't find the wide range of highier educational institutions period. there's not one HBCU up there yet Atlanta got 3.
You can't find the number national register of historic places.
You can't find several over 1,000 feet low mountain in the same Metro, we got fake lakes yall don't have fake moutains. .
You can't find the number of new development projects in general either.
You can't find a airport to take you to the same number of places. "perfectly capable airport" LOL you can fly from The twin cities to Africa directly? really

Keep going? their's like a tire rank of differences The twin cities are a great metro for it’s size and things it has but come on now. Are yall trying to make Atlanta nothing but population and boast Minneapolis up to Atlanta at the same time?
Like I said earlier, Atlanta is no different than the rest of the U.S.

There are much better fashion and entertainment opportunities outside of Atlanta.

I can say the same about you not having the same amount of lakes Minnesota has, what is your point?

The United States have the same opportunities almost regardless of where you live. I can say you can't go to the most popular mall in the country, but I don't, because I don't give a crap! Atlanta has nothing to 'boast' about, end of story. It is the same godforsaken sprawl-ville as the Twin Cities.

Last edited by emcee squared; 09-11-2010 at 03:25 AM..

Old 09-11-2010, 03:19 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,972,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I think Atlanta does have some serious advantages over the Twin Cities, in part because of its size, and in part because of its location, but I also think there are enough negatives in Atlanta to offset many of the positives.

That's one reason I gave the Twin Cities the nod ... it doesn't have many of the political fragmentation issues, the crime issues, or the public school issues that you find in some areas of the Atlanta metro. Those things do hurt Atlanta.

Again, that could be due to the smaller size of the Twin Cities, but 3.5 million people isn't *that* small. The Twin Cities is the same size that the Atlanta metro was in 1990.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I think Atlanta does have some serious advantages over the Twin Cities, in part because of its size, and in part because of its location, but I also think there are enough negatives in Atlanta to offset many of the positives.

That's one reason I gave the Twin Cities the nod ... it doesn't have many of the political fragmentation issues, the crime issues, or the public school issues that you find in some areas of the Atlanta metro. Those things do hurt Atlanta.

Again, that could be due to the smaller size of the Twin Cities, but 3.5 million people isn't *that* small. The Twin Cities is the same size that the Atlanta metro was in 1990.
those negatives are the same found in D.C.,Dallas,Boston,Chicago as well.They hurt those cities about the same as they hurt Atlanta which in the end,all those issues can be navigated around by researching the neighborhoods before choosing one within each city.

truth is Minnesota will never really deal with these issues because the growth is entirely more manageable due to many factors.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,509,112 times
Truthfully, now... I would rather live in the Twin Cities and it's suburbs than anywhere else in this country; no doubt about it. I have lived here for 14+ years of my life and it is my home. Along with living in Connecticut, Virgina, and Georgia; Minnesota is the greatest place I could imagine starting and raising a family. Honestly, there are not many places left in this country that I would feel great doing so.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,972,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
those negatives are the same found in D.C.,Dallas,Boston,Chicago as well.They hurt those cities about the same as they hurt Atlanta which in the end,all those issues can be navigated around by researching the neighborhoods before choosing one within each city.

truth is Minnesota will never really deal with these issues because the growth is entirely more manageable due to many factors.
I agree totally.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,045,854 times
Quote:
Like I said earlier, Atlanta is no different than the rest of the U.S. There are much better fashion and entertainment opportunities outside of Atlanta.
1) This is about Atlanta and the Twins remember? The Twins suppose to have everything Atlanta has LAMO, 2) your comment is too abstract, basically Atlanta vs. the world. If you mean there's cities above Atlanta in the US in this department yes, if you mean Atlanta is not a top city in this department and doesn’t have more opportunities than most cities and etc, that's inaccurate.

Quote:
I can say the same about you not having the same amount of lakes Minnesota has, what is your point?
What? I said “You can't find several over 1,000 feet low mountains in the same Metro, we got fake lakes yall don't have fake mountains.” remember the twins suppose to have everything Atlanta has, that's my point.

Quote:
The United States have the same opportunities almost regardless of where you live. I can say you can't go to the most popular mall in the country, but I don't, because I don't give a crap! Atlanta has nothing to 'boast' about, end of story. It is the same godforsaken sprawl-ville as the Twin Cities.
Atlantans can’t boast on the twins, the twins are a smaller metro, ironically yall the ones boasting. 2) I never said Atlanta was a super city I said it a tire up from the twins which it is. 3) the sprawl thing, Atlanta got more people in 1,800 sq mi than yall hold 6,000 sq mi metro. Metro Atlanta sprawls more compare to the twins because it’s just plain out bigger. And your comment is also emotional fill with lines and no substance. I just posted a link with the U.S. Soccer Federation recommending Atlanta as the media hub, if we the US wins the bid for the world cup. I was thinking you was to give substance back and name events the twins cities host or even consideration for. It can be simple as award shows on television since Atlanta got nothing the Twin cities don‘t have, and Atlanta is basically just population.
Quote:
Truthfully, now... I would rather live in the Twin Cities and it's suburbs than anywhere else in this country; no doubt about it. I have lived here for 14+ years of my life and it is my home. Along with living in Connecticut, Virgina, and Georgia; Minnesota is the greatest place I could imagine starting and raising a family. Honestly, there are not many places left in this country that I would feel great doing so.
Judging by your post you just like the twins more and that fair, I’m not trying to change your view of Atlanta. But opinions are subjective and you can’t argue them over fact. So correction Atlanta does have more than the twin cities it just that doesn’t matter to you. Like it does matter to me that New York, LA and Chicago have a lot more than Atlanta. And I’m from Chicago I just like Atlanta more, but I’m not going to boast Atlanta up to them. In fact my views of the Twins are not bad I have nothing negative to say about Minneapolis or St Paul.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I can honestly agree with you.Those are the same reason I choose Georgia.The only other place I would seriously consider is Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City