Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:51 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Kidphilly is right. These are raw population numbers for a given area that don't involve a lot of politics like MSA statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 01:53 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
It depends on a number of factors, including the COL. For example, I have heard that the pay in the Dallas market is considered "low" by news professionals because it's Market #5. It's often justified and offset by the lower cost of living there, but a reporter in higher-cost San Francisco(#6) is more than likely to be paid about as much or more than a reporter in Dallas. Larger markets also = higher advertising revenues.

However, there are many exceptions to the rule. I know of a few newsanchors in Jackson, Mississippi (market #90) who make six figures a year. They have been in the market a number of years, even decades and have the popularity and ratings to justify their salary.

Reporters in those areas OTOH tend to make anywhere from the high 20s to mid 30s depending on experience. And that's a step up from Hattiesburg or Laredo or Bowling Green, where the pay is even lower.

I used to intern at a TV station in Mississippi over a decade ago, and one of the main things the reporters would kvetch about was the low pay, and many were constantly researching larger markets to move on to. Only the anchors and sales people are the ones that make good money in those smaller stations.

The ultimate goal is to "make it" to the top markets for many reporters and anchors (more money and more exposure). NYC/LA are looked at as the "Golden Ticket". However, you do have those that finally find a market or station that may not be a top 5 or top 10 that works for them and settle down. It's also not unheard of for an anchor or reporter to move to a smaller market if it means more money or visibility. I know of an anchor who moved from Dallas (market #5) to Indianapolis (market #25) for that very reason.
LOL. I guess my Jackson, MS reference was a bad idea.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL. I guess my Jackson, MS reference was a bad idea.
No, not at all. It's a smaller market, and the salaries that are typically paid are par for the course for a #90 market. And a newsanchor job in Jackson, MS is nowhere near as high-profile as a similar position in NYC or Miami. The anchors that make the really big bucks are more the exception than the rule, and that's due to their longevity in the market. Most of the anchors that are "passing through" so to speak make lower salaries.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:00 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
TV markets are odd entities and are not confined to political boundries, like for example the Atlanta TV market has 2 counties in Alabama, Cleburne and Randolph. Birmingham became a top 40 market (#40) in the late 1990's/2000 when the Tuscaloosa and Anniston market were combined with this one.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
markets are basically defined by the reach of the antennas, some mountains come into play in certain areas, most have a reach between 35 and 50 miles, typically smaller in more populated areas and defined by the signal strength approved by the FCC. Dallas, Chicago and Atlanta (some as noted earlier) actually has a larger signal than do places like Boston or Philly where other markets are closer. The larger signal means further radius. but they are within about 10-15 mile radius strength. Even the cable companies have to adhere to the FCC guidlines on media market even if their feed is via cable and not through towers anymore. Also you may note that in certain areas you get many different PBS offerings, this is also law as anything within 50 miles must be carried, I know in Philly I get about 6 different cities PBS feeds

Old 08-27-2010, 02:24 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
I think the "ultimate goal" would be to make to a national news broad cast like NBC Nightly news or an anchor on CNN.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:24 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
markets are basically defined by the reach of the antennas, some mountains come into play in certain areas, most have a reach between 35 and 50 miles, typically smaller in more populated areas and defined by the signal strength approved by the FCC. Dallas, Chicago and Atlanta (some as noted earlier) actually has a larger signal than do places like Boston or Philly where other markets are closer. The larger signal means further radius. but they are within about 10-15 mile radius strength. Even the cable companies have to adhere to the FCC guidlines on media market even if their feed is via cable and not through towers anymore. Also you may note that in certain areas you get many different PBS offerings, this is also law as anything within 50 miles must be carried, I know in Philly I get about 6 different cities PBS feeds
Also Neilson market research (yes the same people who are into TV ratings) has alot to do with which area is desingated to a particular market. For example if a majority of households in a county are watching over the air TV stations from New York than they are from Philly, then that particular county would be desingated under the NY TV market. In terms of cable, if an area is kinda in between markets, the cable provider would offer over the air stations from both markets.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:28 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I think the "ultimate goal" would be to make to a national news broad cast like NBC Nightly news or an anchor on CNN.
I think that goes without saying. I was typing too fast and forgot to put that down.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Tampa's a larger media market than Miami?

Old 08-27-2010, 02:33 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Yup and more than likely being an anchor or a reporter in a top 20 market improves your chances of making it to that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City