Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times

Advertisements

This list hasn't changed much since last year. The only thing is new is Miami moved up to 16 from 17 and Denver moved down from 16 to 17. Here is the top 20 for 2010-2011.

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago

4. Philadelphia

5. Dallas-Fort Worth

6. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose

7. Boston

8. Atlanta

9. Washington, D.C.

10. Houston

11. Detroit

12. Phoenix

13. Seattle-Tacoma

14. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota

15. Minneapolis-St. Paul

16. Miami-Fort Lauderdale

17. Denver

18. Cleveland-Akron

19. Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne

20. Sacramento

Last edited by GLS2010; 08-27-2010 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
I never understand the "media market" thing...my point being, technically isn't Dallas larger than Philadelphia, and Houston & Atlanta larger than SF and Boston (in terms of MSA population)...how are these markets measured?

Edit: what a lame 3,500th post haha

Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I never understand the "media market" thing...my point being, technically isn't Dallas larger than Philadelphia, and Houston & Atlanta larger than SF and Boston (in terms of MSA population)...how are these markets measured?
Media markets are different than MSAs.. When you watch your local news and they go over the weather on a local map, that is your media market.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM

Ahhhh, thanks for clearing that up.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Curious, do the newscasters and people who work for the media outlets in these cities get paid more for being in a larger media market?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:02 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Curious, do the newscasters and people who work for the media outlets in these cities get paid more for being in a larger media market?
I would imagine so. Doing the news in a top 10 city is a lot more high profile than doing the 6 o'clock news in Jackson, Mississippi.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:05 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Probably, from what I understand the NY's and LA's of the world are the promised land in that business. You'll see anchors move to larger markets and take a demotion, and some move to smaller markets to take a promotion.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
It depends on a number of factors, including the COL. For example, I have heard that the pay in the Dallas market is considered "low" by news professionals because it's Market #5. It's often justified and offset by the lower cost of living there, but a reporter in higher-cost San Francisco(#6) is more than likely to be paid about as much or more than a reporter in Dallas. Larger markets also = higher advertising revenues.

However, there are many exceptions to the rule. I know of a few newsanchors in Jackson, Mississippi (market #90) who make six figures a year. They have been in the market a number of years, even decades and have the popularity and ratings to justify their salary.

Reporters in those areas OTOH tend to make anywhere from the high 20s to mid 30s depending on experience. And that's a step up from Hattiesburg or Laredo or Bowling Green, where the pay is even lower.

I used to intern at a TV station in Mississippi over a decade ago, and one of the main things the reporters would kvetch about was the low pay, and many were constantly researching larger markets to move on to. Only the anchors and sales people are the ones that make good money in those smaller stations.

The ultimate goal is to "make it" to the top markets for many reporters and anchors (more money and more exposure). NYC/LA are looked at as the "Golden Ticket"- (preferably) on a major network, or at least a major network O&O local station in those cities. However, you do have those that finally find a market or station that may not be a top 5 or top 10 that works for them and settle down. It's also not unheard of for an anchor or reporter to move to a smaller market if it means more money or visibility. I know of an anchor who moved from Dallas (market #5) to Indianapolis (market #25) for that very reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr
Market sizes are not necessarily reflective of their metro areas. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach are considred separate markets. Temecula- a bedroom community of San Diego gets served by Los Angeles stations because it's in Riverside County. Greenville-Spartanburg SC and Asheville, NC are considered to be one TV market, as well as Mobile-Pensacola.

Last edited by grindin; 08-27-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:

Yes, Phildadelphia has been the 4th highest paying and considered 4th most important media market in the country. Also it costs more to advertise in Philly when compared to Dallas because it is a bigger media market.

This is more similar to a radius population, basically everyone within about 35-40 miles of the city

When this householded, Philly is shown to be a close percentage wise to Chicago as Dallas is to Philly, meaning even though the MSA for Dallas is larger the number of people that live near there is actually less. Also there is no real overlap of the NYC and Philly market on this count

Here is the 2009 DMA counts/rankings

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/US_HH_by_DMA.asp - broken link)

Old 08-27-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I would imagine so. Doing the news in a top 10 city is a lot more high profile than doing the 6 o'clock news in Jackson, Mississippi.
Also, we need to take into account the increased advertising revenue from being in a larger market...I would think that would result in larger salaries for employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City