Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 01:41 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I can wake up in the morning jump in my car and be laying in salt water eating fresh oysters on the half shell before lunch time. Yet you are comparing Atlanta to real Middle America places like Nebraska where it takes 16 hours to drive to the ocean.

That's why people are saying WTF?
Some are saying WTF because Atlanta is simply a landlocked city and shares nothing in common with a city on a major body of salt water. 3 hrs away is not the same as living in a city along the water. Don't you realize this?

Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Some are saying WTF because Atlanta is simply a landlocked city and shares nothing in common with a city on a major body of salt water. 3 hrs away is not the same as living in a city along the water. Don't you realize this?
Nobody was arguing that Atlanta and Seattle have similar geography; that's just dumb. Rather the contention was concerning the statement that Red John made that Atlanta was "Middle America," which would suggest that it's in Nebraska or Oklahoma. Of course it's not a coastal city but it's in an East Coast state and is within easy driving distance of both the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. Not coastal but not exactly "Middle America" either.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Where and who said anything of a sort?Living on the water was never the subject brought up by anyone.You are arguing against something you obviously did not comprehend properly

Old 03-26-2015, 05:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
I was responding to someone that said Atlanta was Middle America. Yes living in Atlanta is not the same as living seaside but living 3 hours away from both the Atlantic East Coast and the Gulf of Mexico is nothing like living 16 hours away from the ocean.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
I was responding to someone that said Atlanta was Middle America. Yes living in Atlanta is not the same as living seaside but living 3 hours away from both the Atlantic East Coast and the Gulf of Mexico is nothing like living 16 hours away from the ocean.
I'm not going to argue it any further, since Atlantans would know Atlanta best and not me. You guys in Atlanta literally sound discombobulated about this so I will show you where I got this from.

I don't know. I was going off their technical definition for what "Middle-America" is supposed to be:
Quote:
Middle America is a colloquial term for the culturally conservative rural and suburban areas of the United States. Middle America is usually contrasted with the more culturally progressive urban areas of the country, particularly, those of the East and West Coasts. The conservative values considered typical of Middle America (often called "family values" in American politics) are often called Middle American values.

Geographically, the label Middle America refers to the territory between the East Coast of the United States (particularly the northeast) and the West Coast. The term has been used in some cases to refer to the inland portions of coastal states, especially if they are rural. Much of the Pennsylvania area is typically considered to be Middle American. Alternately, the term is used to describe the central United States.

Middle America is generally used more as a cultural than geographical label, suggesting a small town or suburb where most people are middle class, Protestant, and white. It is often caricatured in the same way as the American 1950s decade. The idea of Middle America may exclude locations such as Chicago (the third largest city in the United States and one of the world's ten alpha cities) and the very wealthy Aspen, Colorado. However, the coastal regions of the southern United States are often implicitly included.
Atlanta definitely fits the description they have given for it, whether GA is a coastal state or not. It seems to fit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_...(United_States)

I highlighted the part that gave me the green light to call Atlanta that.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,090 times
Quote:
OK, people are really exaggerating Atlanta's proximity to the Atlantic and Gulf beaches. Panama City Beach, one of the closest Gulf beaches, is about 300 miles away from Atlanta, and much of the route is a non-interstate highway that includes portions with stoplights. It took me well over five hours to drive down there a year ago.

Tybee Island in Georgia is 270 miles away, which isn't a thee-hour drive either.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

I don't know. I was going off their technical definition for what "Middle-America" is supposed to be:

Atlanta definitely fits the description they have given for it, whether GA is a coastal state or not. It seems to fit.

You think Atlanta is rural?

You're conveniently ignoring a good portion of how they define "Middle America". Even the bolded doesn't support your statement. Atlanta isn't even on Central Time, much less considered considered a part of central US.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:22 PM

183 posts, read 249,393 times
Quote:
However, the coastal regions of the southern United States are often implicitly included.
Those coastal regions include the states of; Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama bordering the Gulf of Mexico. Georgia borders the Atlantic Ocean.

Last edited by Poncey; 03-26-2015 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 06:28 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
This appears to be the heart of the definition of the term:

Middle America is generally used more as a cultural than geographical label, suggesting a small town or suburb where most people are middle class, Protestant, and white. It is often caricatured in the same way as the American 1950s decade.

Atlanta is not a small town or suburb. Certainly it's mostly middle-class and Protestant, but the city is majority Black; the metro, while being predominantly White, has the second-largest Black population in America (which includes Africans and Caribbeans), attracts a bit more Blacks than Whites, and has one of the fastest-growing Korean populations in the country. Atlanta is not "Leave it to Beaver" land as the term "Middle America" might suggest.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
I'm not going to argue it any further, since Atlantans would know Atlanta best and not me. You guys in Atlanta literally sound discombobulated about this so I will show you where I got this from.

Well Atlanta is not majority white.Also Atlanta has typically been very progressive from Civil Rights to gay rights,Whereas just a year or to ago it was ranked the number one Gayest city in America.

Also if you are talking about "middle America" in a cutiral sense,you are also using a wrong analogy to describe "the South".Middle America is actually "less" conservative than the South excluding the larger cities in the South.
Middle America is closest to being centrist than any other region of the U.S.It is the litmus for what is considered the conscious of the American mindset.

Atlanta is the outlier in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City