Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 08:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
OK, people are really exaggerating Atlanta's proximity to the Atlantic and Gulf beaches. Panama City Beach, one of the closest Gulf beaches, is about 300 miles away from Atlanta, and much of the route is a non-interstate highway that includes portions with stoplights. It took me well over five hours to drive down there a year ago.

Tybee Island in Georgia is 270 miles away, which isn't a thee-hour drive either.
Just stop nit picking.I said I went to Savannah.If you have been there then you know there is no way to get to Tybee Island without going THROUGH Savannah.
Savannah is about 3.5 hours.I then went TYBEE. Excuse me if I was off 30 minutes.Hardly an exaggeration.

Do you know that Atlanta is the largest single market for the beaches in the panhandle of Florida?Not to mention Georgia's own beaches?
Why else would you have advertisements everywhere in Atlanta showcasing Florida and the Gulf Coast.Especially places like Destin.
AJC Travel: A dozen beaches within driving distance of Atlanta | www.ajc.com
The point was its very accessible.If you wish to quibble of minutes as if it matters then so be it.However Atlanta is a major market for the Gulf Beaches if not the biggest market.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:40 PM

Even the food and culture is so different from "middle America".
Middle Americans genealogy is largely German,Swedish,and Finnish whereas in the South its largely English,Irish,African and in some places French.

Not to mention most of the South has a older presence as American states.dating back to as early as the late 1600's in some places.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Just stop nit picking.I said I went to Savannah.If you have been there then you know there is no way to get to Tybee Island without going THROUGH Savannah.
Savannah is about 3.5 hours.I then went TYBEE. Excuse me if I was off 30 minutes.Hardly an exaggeration.

Do you know that Atlanta is the largest single market for the beaches in the panhandle of Florida?Not to mention Georgia's own beaches?
Why else would you have advertisements everywhere in Atlanta showcasing Florida and the Gulf Coast.Especially places like Destin.
AJC Travel: A dozen beaches within driving distance of Atlanta | www.ajc.com
The point was its very accessible.If you wish to quibble of minutes as if it matters then so be it.However Atlanta is a major market for the Gulf Beaches if not the biggest market.
I really need to visit Tybee Island. Have heard good things about it. It's just a bit further away than 3 hours by car, especially considering you have to drive thru Savannah to get there. Just sayin'.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
I really need to visit Tybee Island. Have heard good things about it. It's just a bit further away than 3 hours by car, especially considering you have to drive thru Savannah to get there. Just sayin'.
It has a cool vibe.Kind of Southern Hippie thing.
Its only 15 minutes from Savannah but there are other beaches and Islands off the coast of Georgia that are beautiful and pristine.
I went with a tenant who just moved here from Germany and he fell in love with the quaintness and friendliness of it.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,948 times
Quote:
It has a cool vibe.Kind of Southern Hippie thing.
Its only 15 minutes from Savannah but there are other beaches and Islands off the coast of Georgia that are beautiful and pristine.
I went with a tenant who just moved here from Germany and he fell in love with the quaintness and friendliness of it.
Good description Tybee and the other nearby beaches are by far the closest beaches to ATL. Plus, they're near Savannah - a big plus.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:25 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,966 times
Never before this thread have I heard Atlanta described as "middle America."

Old 03-27-2015, 04:03 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefanatic View Post
These are two great cities, first of all. Atlanta is my second favorite city in the nation after Seattle. They both have great restauraunts, museums, performing arts, etc. They also have relatively similar populations. I'm not sure on the political climate in Atlanta, but I'm pretty sure Georgia is red. These are two surprisingly similar cities in many aspects, however each city does have a one-up on eachother. IN MY OPINION, Seattle has better scenery, but Atlanta has such a rich history. It's also good to see how both Seattle and Atlanta have such passionate denizens, at least on City-Data anyway. What makes Atlanta better than Seattle, or Seattle better than Atlanta?
I'm not going to say better but this is one of the main reasons I prefer Seattle over Atlanta. Atlanta being 3 or more hours from the water is just not the same as having it at your feet everyday.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 7,615 times
I've enjoyed my time in both cities but I do think Seattle takes this one pretty decisively.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Sorry, missed this post earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You think Atlanta is rural?
No it is not rural at all, but I do think the respective land mass surrounding Greater Atlanta is very very very low population density, at some points the Earth around it has sparse population and when its not rural it is littered by all of these Southern small towns that absolutely fit the descriptions and theme.
Quote:
You're conveniently ignoring a good portion of how they define "Middle America".
I am ignoring nothing actually. I obviously read their description, that's why you see it in my post above. I highlighted the parts that apply here.
Quote:
Atlanta isn't even on Central Time, much less considered considered a part of central US.
You're making things up now. Show me where it says a place needs to be at the center of the country to be Middle-America, I mean their definition has a large amount of PA in it and that's no where near the center of the country. Show me in the link where it says anything about central time zone or any sort of time zone at all. You just went and made that up.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-27-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 04:28 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
Also Atlanta has typically been very progressive
L-O-L.

Yeah, okay man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City