Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 04:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Sorry, missed this post earlier.

No it is not rural at all, but I do think A) it is thest major urban center to that given it has the lowest population and structural density of any metropolis over 3 million people in the world and B) the respective land mass surrounding Greater Atlanta is very very very low population density, at some points the Earth around itation and when its not rural it is littered by all of these Southern small towns that absolutely fit the theme.

I am ignoring nothing actually. I obviously read their description, that's why you see it in my post above. I highlighted the parts that apply here.

You're making things up now. Show me where it says a place needs to be at the center of the country to be Middle-America, I mean their definition has a large amount of PA in it and that's no where near the center of the country. Show me in the link where it says anything about central time zone or any sort of time zone at all. You just went and made that up.
... I did not make up anything. You highlighted the Central US comment. I'm just saying is not even close to what is considered Central US, and that ATL is in the EST zone.

Since you're using Wiki to back your statement, why not look at what is defined as East Coast, alternatively the "Atlantic Seaboard" which you used earlier. You'll see that it's defined EC by states, not actual proximity to the coastlines. Heck, it even points out the 2 states that do not border Atlantic Ocean are given concessions and so considered a part of EC simply because they're bunched in there with the rest of EC states with actual coastlines. Here's the link: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 05:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
L-O-L.

Yeah, okay man.
You have shown that the most you know about Atlanta and much of the South is through Fodor's and from T.V.

So you tell me what makes a city progressive and why is Atlanta not in your limited opinion?

Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
... I did not make up anything. You highlighted the Central US comment. I'm just saying is not even close to what is considered Central US, and that ATL is in the EST zone.

Since you're using Wiki to back your statement, why not look at what is defined as East Coast, alternatively the "Atlantic Seaboard" which you used earlier. You'll see that it's defined EC by states, not actual proximity to the coastlines. Heck, it even points out the 2 states that do not border Atlantic Ocean are given concessions and so considered a part of EC simply because they're bunched in there with the rest of EC states with actual coastlines. Here's the link: East Coast of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He just unwilling to accept he does not know what he thought he knew.

His archaic opinions are based on stereotypes and generalizations that are devoid of depth and multi- dimensional thinking in regards to his views of the South and in particular how Atlanta does not fit the way he thinks it should.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
L-O-L.

Yeah, okay man.
Prove otherwise.

You can't.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Prove otherwise.

You can't.
He is speaking on something he knows nothing about,Its that provincial arrogant thinking he displays over and over again,
It so insulting and condescending.As if those who do not wish to live in an environment he deems fit for a higher standard of living in the manner he thinks is best.

Seattle is a great city and I honestly have nothing against it.I see why the majority would choose it.
I understand why people fall in love with it but there definitely things that make it inconvenient for many people to want to live there.

Fiji is a beautiful place to but Im not trying to do anythng more than visit.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:07 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
L-O-L.

Yeah, okay man.
An Atlantan coined the phrase "The New South" over 100 years ago and began a long going drive to make Atlanta more progressive and industrious than old pre Civil War southern towns.

Atlanta was responsible for the "Atlanta Compromise" over 100 years ago which while still unfair to Blacks helped create a strong Black middle class in Atlanta when a lot of other American towns (including alot out west that banned Blacks) were much less inclusive.

Atlanta has one top LGBT communities in America by far.

An Atlanta suburb has the highest percentage of Lesbians of any city in America.

One of America's first Black millionaires was from Atlanta.

Auburn Ave. in Atlanta was one of the wealthiest Black neighborhoods in America for a long time.

Two of Americas top HBCUs are located in Atlanta.

Georgia Tech was listed as graduating more Black engineers than any other college in America.

Atlanta had one of the Worlds first and biggest cable television stations back when cable was a new thing.

Atlanta had the Worlds first 24 hour News Channel long long ago.

Atlanta had a heavy rapid rail system back long long before other Metro's close to it's size (Seattle) began building light rail like crazy.

Had one of the first Black mayors of a major American city.

A leader in telecommunications and fiber optics networks.

Fastest growing Korean community in America.

Just a few of the progressive things about Atlanta.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
An Atlantan coined the phrase "The New South" over 100 years ago and began a long going drive to make Atlanta more progressive and industrious than old pre Civil War southern towns.

Atlanta was responsible for the "Atlanta Compromise" over 100 years ago which while still unfair to Blacks helped create a strong Black middle class in Atlanta when a lot of other American towns (including alot out west that banned Blacks) were much less inclusive.

Atlanta has one top LGBT communities in America by far.

An Atlanta suburb has the highest percentage of Lesbians of any city in America.

One of America's first Black millionaires was from Atlanta.

Auburn Ave. in Atlanta was one of the wealthiest Black neighborhoods in America for a long time.

Two of Americas top HBCUs are located in Atlanta.

Georgia Tech was listed as graduating more Black engineers than any other college in America.

Atlanta had one of the Worlds first and biggest cable television stations back when cable was a new thing.

Atlanta had the Worlds first 24 hour News Channel long long ago.

Atlanta had a heavy rapid rail system back long long before other Metro's close to it's size (Seattle) began building light rail like crazy.

Had one of the first Black mayors of a major American city.

A leader in telecommunications and fiber optics networks.

Fastest growing Korean community in America.

Just a few of the progressive things about Atlanta.
Not to mention

the first openly gay city council presidents in the South.
-The fist major city in the South to offer domestic benefits for city employee's
-One of the top 10 citoes in the U.S with LEED Certified projects

Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 PM

183 posts, read 249,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
He just unwilling to accept he does not know what he thought he knew.

His archaic opinions are based on stereotypes and generalizations that are devoid of depth and multi- dimensional thinking in regards to his views of the South and in particular how Atlanta does not fit the way he thinks it should.
That's the blessing and curse of this information age. People can sit at a computer all day grabbing stats and other data off the web, (try to) interpret it, twist it, then post awkward hypothesis' to create discussions. Kinda like the one, "Atlanta is in Middle America". lol

Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
This is pretty pathetic arguing over semantics. I don't agree with the "Middle America" phrase to describe Atlanta, but taking it this far? It's not that serious. I would call Atlanta the interior Southeast. It's obviously not coastal, but it's not that deep inland either. It's located in a state that actually borders the Atlantic.

And Red John isn't the type of poster to take shots at cities for no reason. You guys are getting butthurt over nothing. I see no reason Red John would just start going after Atlanta.

This is why people look down on Atlanta posters.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This is pretty pathetic arguing over semantics. I don't agree with the "Middle America" phrase to describe Atlanta, but taking it this far? It's not that serious. I would call Atlanta the interior Southeast. It's obviously not coastal, but it's not that deep inland either. It's located in a state that actually borders the Atlantic.

And Red John isn't the type of poster to take shots at cities for no reason. You guys are getting butthurt over nothing. I see no reason Red John would just start going after Atlanta.

This is why people look down on Atlanta posters.
Let the uninformed look down all they want, but you're wrong on this one I'm afraid.

Combined with unbridled condescension and rude dismissiveness, post histories can be very revealing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City