Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Wow your really stretching the truth . The article said there was 11,000 homeless people in King County which is 2,307 square miles Seattle is only 83 square miles of the 11,000+ lol.
truth.*
The author stated*

You caught me. The homeless people outside of the city limits don't matter.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Wow your really stretching the truth . The article said there was 11,000 homeless people in King County which is 2,307 square miles Seattle is only 83 square miles of the 11,000+ lol.
A larger percentage of homeless people within a metro tend to be in the central business district because they have a higher likelihood of encountering people walking on foot rather than in cars. So chances are, a huge part of that 11,000+ is in the city limits of Seattle. And looking at a map, it looks like King County is at least 60% unhabitable mountains, so the square mileage of the county is not relevant.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:20 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
truth.*
The author stated*

You caught me. The homeless people outside of the city limits don't matter.
but Atlanta has twice the poverty rate of Seattle... neither is a great scenario whether it's poverty or homelessness.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
It's honestly hilarious how much crime rate is brought up on this site. Most crime within a city is relegated to poorer areas, and with all the talk by posters about gentrification and urban living, y'all aren't moving to the ghetto. Crime rate really needs to stop being brought up.
Crime rate does need to be brought up. Though it might not effect you it might effect someone else. Ignoring crime is ridiculous because it is part of a city.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:32 PM

30,349 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
It's honestly hilarious how much crime rate is brought up on this site. Most crime within a city is relegated to poorer areas, and with all the talk by posters about gentrification and urban living, y'all aren't moving to the ghetto. Crime rate really needs to stop being brought up.
You don't think one should consider crime in your opinion of an area but I do, in fact i think it is very very important in any serious consideration of where to live. I understand that there are areas around Atlanta that are very safe and you can avoid those unsafe "ghettos" but you shouldn't have to do that and you don't have to do that in Seattle.

I've already said I like Atlanta and believe the people are warmer than they are in Seattle but the crime in Atlanta would prevent me from considering moving there if I were so inclined.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,279 times
Atlanta's famous tree canopy is A LOT MORE than just "pines, magnolias, and oaks". It was/is old growth deciduous forest with a HUGE variety of trees (yes there are pines, magnolias, both evergreen by the way, and oaks) but also poplars, sweet gums, hickories, dogwood, etc. which create the gorgeous fall color that I feel Atlanta is WAYYYYYY! under rated for. ;0)

Old 09-19-2017, 03:30 AM

178 posts, read 145,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
but Atlanta has twice the poverty rate of Seattle... neither is a great scenario whether it's poverty or homelessness.
Atlanta poverty rate is average. Seattle homelessness rate is way above average.Seattle issue will be housing and Atlanta will be income inequality as it is number one in that category.

Atlanta can improve that with the right programs but Seattle is determined mainly by market forces which are very hard to correct as there are less tangible ways to target it.
Seattle simply has nowhere to grow

Old 09-19-2017, 03:47 AM

178 posts, read 145,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Crime rate does need to be brought up. Though it might not effect you it might effect someone else. Ignoring crime is ridiculous because it is part of a city.
I get what hes saying.The crime rate is relevant to the actual chance of being a victim,For instance Downtown Seattle has seen a huge spike in murders and crime. Downtown Atlanta has seen a decrease in its downtown.
The cores of both cities are likely places most people would be

Sure Atlanta has notorious neighborhoods that are infamous and thats where most of Atlanta's crime is. Seattle being so dense and compact will have it closer to its most populous area
https://www.atlantadowntown.com/arti...as-of-the-city

Crime returns to Seattle

Old 09-19-2017, 10:54 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseSoCommon View Post
I get what hes saying.The crime rate is relevant to the actual chance of being a victim,For instance Downtown Seattle has seen a huge spike in murders and crime. Downtown Atlanta has seen a decrease in its downtown.
The cores of both cities are likely places most people would be

Sure Atlanta has notorious neighborhoods that are infamous and thats where most of Atlanta's crime is. Seattle being so dense and compact will have it closer to its most populous area
https://www.atlantadowntown.com/arti...as-of-the-city

Crime returns to Seattle
Is this a notorious neighborhood though? No. 3rd St between Pike and Pine has always been that way. Still you're in a neighborhood among luxury highrise condos and apts, hotels like the 4Seasons, great restaurants and stores and Pike Place Market. I'd live there in a heartbeat.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Yep that is true, and since our summer/dry season is fairly short, many people, even in wealthy neighborhoods, don't bother watering their lawns since it will be green again in few months. People in east/south have brown lawns in the winter (or so I've heard) and people in the PNW have brown lawns in the summer.
Mainly just the inland areas. But coastal areas of the Southern US have plentiful green year-round, including in lawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City