Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
UCLA is in Westwood which is surrounded by Beverly Hills, Brentwood, and Bel-Air. Pepperdine is in Malibu. Even a one bedroom apartment near USC (ghetto) will be an absolute minimum of $800/mo. And don't forget the cost of owning a car.

Well I understand but honestly Boston is worse, hell that would be the minimums anywhere close to anything even in Philly, and Boston is considerably more expensive than Philly

Do students typically live in Bev Hills or brentwood?

I find LA prices to be high but astronomical in only certain areas, not at the level of NYC, Boston, SF or DC

I think LA on the whole is more similar to Chicago and Philly than it is to the others. Yes there are 50 million dollar homes and no they are not the norm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:20 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well I understand but honestly Boston is worse, hell that would be the minimums anywhere close to anything even in Philly, and Boston is considerably more expensive than Philly

Do students typically live in Bev Hills or brentwood?

I find LA prices to be high but astronomical in only certain areas, not at the level of NYC, Boston, SF or DC

I think LA on the whole is more similar to Chicago and Philly than it is to the others. Yes there are 50 million dollar homes and no they are not the norm
Yes its true that L.A. is only astronomical in certain areas but how is that different from any other city? Traditionally L.A. is either the 2nd or 3rd most expensive city in the country behind NYC and often San Francisco. You're the first person I've ever heard claim L.A. is on the level of Chicago or Philly in terms of cost, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it...I hope you're right though, that would be a blessing

As for Westwood, I honestly don't know where most students live, but the fact is USC (in the ghetto) is still ridiculously expensive so I would imagine an area adjacent to Beverly Hills would have astronomical rental prices.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 PM

58 posts, read 117,768 times
Also consider commute times. I lived in L.A. for over 20 years and still commute there very regularly (about once a month). A car is absolutely necessary and the traffic is so bad that it really does take the fizzle out of doing anything fun. I hate to say that because L.A. is my hometown and I love the city, but the traffic can be just too much to take - even at midnight.

Expect to pay $1200 (at minimum) for a decent apartment in a decent area; to have something nice, you're looking at $1400 - $1750. Do check into my alma mater, Loyola Marymount University, near LAX. There are nice apartments in the Westhchester/Playa del Rey areas and you're close to the freeways, Marina del Rey, shopping, etc. Nice area and very liveable.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phddoc View Post
Also consider commute times. I lived in L.A. for over 20 years and still commute there very regularly (about once a month). A car is absolutely necessary and the traffic is so bad that it really does take the fizzle out of doing anything fun. I hate to say that because L.A. is my hometown and I love the city, but the traffic can be just too much to take - even at midnight.

Expect to pay $1200 (at minimum) for a decent apartment in a decent area; to have something nice, you're looking at $1400 - $1750. Do check into my alma mater, Loyola Marymount University, near LAX. There are nice apartments in the Westhchester/Playa del Rey areas and you're close to the freeways, Marina del Rey, shopping, etc. Nice area and very liveable.
How is that area in terms of cost?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Weather
Average maximum temperatures:

Boston: Winter: 36-42F \ Summer: 77-82F
Monthly Averages for Boston, MA - weather.com

London: Winter: 46-48F \ Summer: 68-73F
Monthly Averages for London, United Kingdom - weather.com

Los Angeles: Winter: 68-70F \ Summer: 80-85F
Monthly Averages for Los Angeles, CA - weather.com

Boston has the coldest winters but a fairly mild summer. London has a relatively cool winter but it's summer is just a little warmer than winter is in Los Angeles ; London is more like Seattle. Also summer in LA is pretty comfortable. So if a person wants a warm sunny climate compared to the rainy and cool climate of London than clearly Los Angeles is the place to move.

Lots of people from Britain live in Los Angeles; it may have one of the highest number of English people of any U.S. city. Boston looks more like London and probably is an easy transition. But student life is probably more fun in Los Angeles.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 AM

58 posts, read 117,768 times
PDX-LAX:

The area I mentioned is not cheap (no place in So CA is, unfortunately). However, Westchester has a nice neighborhood feel, is very close to LAX, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, the ocean, freeway access, etc. Fine dining is lacking in the area; you'd need to drive about 15 minutes north to Marina del Rey or south to Manhattan Beach. Otherwise, it's a nice area. I lived in Playa del Rey (next door to Westchester) and it's quite nice. Oodles of apartments and most are very pet-friendly. Rents these days in the $1200 - $2400 range, depending on the age of the building and proximity to amenities. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City