Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will LA's CSA pass NYC CSA in the Future?
Yes, LA will pass NY 39 22.94%
No, LA will not Pass NY 90 52.94%
Yes, LA will pass NYC not by a lot 15 8.82%
No, LA will not pass NYC but will come close 35 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
L.A. at 97 sq miles = more populated that Philly.

Leave the next 38 sq miles blank, and L.A. would still be more populated.

Is a shame the urban nabes are as disjointed for as dense as it is.

there are 42 miles of basically zero population in the 135 sq miles of Philly, similar but far better nabe cohesion. Beyond that LA does extend with more cosnsitent density over a wider footprint no doubt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is not going to cut it. The whole city has to undergo a complete physical makeover, which is not going to happen in the next 50 years.

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

Dude those are all areas with multi-family housing, all you have to do is rotate the view... (except that area in DT, which is a manufacturing neighborhood.) You are arguing aesthetics at this point, which is fine, you are entitled to your opinion that East Coast appearances are more urban, but it doesn't mean that Spanish Revival and Mid Century architecture are not urban.

EDIT: I just looked again at that Chinatown area link.. those are the projects! That neighborhood is right next to a jail, probably one of the worst places to live in the entire city.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
This is not going to cut it. The whole city has to undergo a complete physical makeover, which is not going to happen in the next 50 years.

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps 19,700 psm

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps Industrial area, isn't meant to be heavily populated.

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps LOL, Union Station is within easy walking distance of that area. You can get to Long Beach from there. Chinatown is nearby, with a density estimated at over 30,000 psm now.

Los Angeles, CA - Google MapsWestlake isn't walkable? I'm seeing tons of major streets around there and a subway stop within waking distance. The PSM is well over 40,000 in that area--which is a huge immigrant hub.

Los Angeles, CA - Google MapsDensity: 17,800 psm. Up ahead is Western Ave, loaded with amenities.

Los Angeles, CA - Google MapsThere's like a subway running within walking distance of that street. Not to mention it's in Koreatown, an area with a PSM of 46,000 (conservative estimate). One of the THE most walkable areas of the city.

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps psm: 14,800. Up ahead, a busy intersection with a supermarket.
Next.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Who cares? Normal people don't think of themselves as living in a CSA. And nobody cares about the population density of an urban area. What people care about are the amenities nearby. And NYC "blows away" Los Angeles in that department. If it didn't, you guys wouldn't talk so much about "densifying" and getting a subway and all that. You don't hear New Yorkers talking about getting small houses on tiny lots, do you? We seem to like the way we live. But in Los Angeles, everyone is trying to get the city to be more like New York. So apparently there are a lot of people who aren't satisfied with the lifestyle in L.A.

Bam! Nuff said.
-Gotta love these mind-reading posts. Now we all want to be NYC, haha. I repeat, L.A.'s density matches all the other big urban cities (minus NY), and has for a while now. L.A. still does its own thing. The city isn't talking about getting more dense either (as if that's something you can control), it's already there, and getting more dense around the core. Doesn't mean L.A. is trying to be NYC. It simply getting more populated--moreso than the city's planners envisioned all those decades ago, hence its expanding its public transit. Not to be NYC, but to ease congestion.

-MSA/CSA is based on commuting patterns. That means plenty of people live way out in the suburbs while commuting to NYC. So strange that they would live like that, when an 800 sq ft loft in Williamsburg with a super fast subway and a deli nearby is there for the taking. Doesn't the whole world want that?

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 12-13-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Is a shame the urban nabes are as disjointed for as dense as it is.

there are 42 miles of basically zero population in the 135 sq miles of Philly, similar but far better nabe cohesion. Beyond that LA does extend with more cosnsitent density over a wider footprint no doubt
I agree that right now, the SFV, South LA, the Westside and Central LA are disjointed from each other, but each individual sector is actually pretty integrated. Especially the Westside and Central LA.

Hollywood and Koreatown are right next to each other. Hollywood bleeds into Los Feliz and Silverlake. Koreatown and Westlake border each other, it is hard to tell when you have left Hollywood and entered West Hollywood.

I'm not sure what you mean by disjointed. I get that I can't get from Pacoima to Wilmington on one bus/train, but (using Boston as an example becuase I know it well), how easy is it to get from Boston College to say, Jamaica Plain?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
-Gotta love these mind-reading posts. Now we all want to be NYC, haha. I repeat, L.A.'s density matches all the other big urban cities (minus NY), and has for a while now. L.A. still does its own thing.L.A. isn't talking about getting dense (as if that's something you can control), it's already there, and getting more dense around the core. Doesn't mean L.A. is trying to be NYC. It simply getting more populated--moreso than the city's planners envisioned all those decades ago. The city is popular, what can you say?
Personally, I LOVE the way LA is set up with mid rise density. LA is surrounded by mountains, and I would be really bummed out if they were blocked by a ton of skyscrapers. I don't want LA to look like NY at all. I love NY and it is an incredible place, and it should be one-of-a-kind in the US.

I like the way LA is growing and densifying, I actually find a lot more similarities between LA and SF than I ever expected when I moved here.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
I guess this realistically depends on whether LA runs out of water.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
-Gotta love these mind-reading posts. Now we all want to be NYC, haha.
Yep, you guys do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
people want that urban "sex and the city" lifestyle
It was one of your own that said it. This is the lifestyle they want, huh?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l2_uzpSUJU...ears-prada.jpg

Just imagine if SATC had been filmed in Los Angeles. They would have run out of places to go after six episodes.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I guess this realistically depends on whether LA runs out of water.
I think that is mostly true only if they keep trying to build out instead of up (I think "building within itself" is a better way to put it, it's not like LA is going to look like Manhattan anytime soon, or ever.

I really don't think the water issue is that much of a deterrent. I can't really remember but I think my water bill is pretty comparable to the one I used to receive in Boston.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Yep, you guys do.

It was one of your own that said it. This is the lifestyle they want, huh?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l2_uzpSUJU...ears-prada.jpg

Just imagine if SATC had been filmed in Los Angeles. They would have run out of places to go after six episodes.
The sex and the city mentality is what is ruining NY. Yuppifying and Disney-fying. I really hope they don't latch onto LA next.

For the bold: You mean like in that equally grating show about spoiled as-holes living in LA, Entourage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City