Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, Philadelphia has had a lot of black people for a long time. Blacks were in Philadelphia far before they were in the Louisiana Territory, Georgia, Chicago, and Michigan. Only New York and Boston, and I suppose Jamestown, had black populations that predate Philadelphia's.

Philly's unique compared to its northern counterparts because it was the first stop for slaves on the underground railroad. Combine that with the fact that Quakers were formally intolerant of slavery and you get a large number of free blacks running around. Of all the northern cities (Washington, DC is not a northern city btw), Philadelphia has the largest percentage of blacks (40%). Pennsylvania is also the only state north of the Mason-Dixon with a Historically Black College or University.

My neighborhood was actually one of the breeding grounds of the abolitionist movement in the North. The house I grew up in, in Germantown, was actually used to house slaves that had escaped from the South. Try going to sleep as an 8-year old after hearing that bedtime story.

Couple of holes there -- St. Louis, Detroit and Cleveland all have larger black percentages than Philly.

In addition, Ohio, Missouri and Michigan all have HBCus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 11:10 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Couple of holes there -- St. Louis, Detroit and Cleveland all have larger black percentages than Philly.

In addition, Ohio, Missouri and Michigan all have HBCus.
Well I imagine Philadelphia has a higher number than any of those, maybe not Detroit, not sure.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
did anybody mention oakland?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM

970 posts, read 2,967,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
did anybody mention oakland?
While Oakland does have a high black population, I don't think it has much of an African American history.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Those aren't northern cities, they're Midwestern cities. By northern, I mean Boston, NYC, and Philadelphia. I suppose people in Detroit think of themselves as northerners, but when people say "up north," I think most tend to think of the East Coast.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:10 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
In terms of the OP of which cities have the "richest" African-American culture, which to me means a large influence on culture and history and not just a high population of black people it would be in no particular order:

New York City
Atlanta
Chicago
D.C.
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
New Orleans
Detroit

Honorable mentions:

Baltimore
Boston
St. Louis
Houston

Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Historically, I think Detroit and Chicago might have done more to propel Black families into the middle class than other cities. I realize that's debatable, and that's why I said it.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,886 times
I'm going to go with Atlanta.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Historically, I think Detroit and Chicago might have done more to propel Black families into the middle class than other cities. I realize that's debatable, and that's why I said it.
Paradoxically, the closing of factories in both cities may have done more to propel black families into poverty than other cities as well.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Paradoxically, the closing of factories in both cities may have done more to propel black families into poverty than other cities as well.
Moreso Detroit than Chicago, but I see your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City