Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Kool herc was not the main ingreident to the creation of hip hop-Afrika BamBaataa was(who was an american). Hip hop was created by countless blacks and latino youths in nyc in the south bronx, nothing more nothing less

No last poets
No griots
No Africa
No jamaica

It was created by Seventeen year olds that could careless about any of that stuff

The fashion,the rhyming,the grafitti,the scratching,the breakdancing,most importantly the culture was all new york city.

Dont speak on what you dont know all the way from atlanta using wikipedia. Im originally from Bronx river housing projects the place where the culture began with bambaataa and the zulu nation....... the game has begun and just ended
No Africa? His name is Afrika Bambatta. It's called the ZULU Nation. You think Zulu is just some street in NY? Hip-Hop did start in NYC. I agree with you on that, It DID start in the Bronx, no denial from my part. But, no more no less? PLENTY more, No less IMHO. You don't see us telling you guys what rock music is, and how you guys aren't REAL rockers, even though the genre started in the South. Why, try and deny, a clear influence?(It rhymed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, ironically, the "Blackest" major cities over 100k are Gary IN and Detroit.
Percentage wise, but that doesn't really mean anything.

In raw numbers, the top 10 metropolitan areas by African-American Population (this includes immigrants from Africa, the Caribbean and Latin America)

1. New York City - 3,246,576
2. Atlanta - 1,657,619
3. Chicago - 1,540,470
4. Los Angeles - 1,245,039
5. D.C. - 1,024,353
6. Philadelphia - 1,023,425
7. Houston - 979,717
8. Detroit - 924,518
9. Baltimore - 703,323
10. Dallas - 607,457

Old 09-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Kool herc was not the main ingreident to the creation of hip hop-Afrika BamBaataa was(who was an american). Hip hop was created by countless blacks and latino youths in nyc in the south bronx, nothing more nothing less

No last poets
No griots
No Africa
No jamaica

It was created by Seventeen year olds that could careless about any of that stuff

The fashion,the rhyming,the grafitti,the scratching,the breakdancing,most importantly the culture was all new york city.

Dont speak on what you dont know all the way from atlanta using wikipedia. Im originally from Bronx river housing projects the place where the culture began with bambaataa and the zulu nation....... the game has begun and just ended
I don't know about the bolded. Rapping is a direct product of the black street poetry scene in the 60s/early-70s NYC. If you had a pops like mine that made you sit down and listen to "Last Poets" and "This is Madness" over and over and over again you'll hear hip-hop in it's infancy through all the lyrics. All of the early artists have admitted to the Last Poets being a big influence on them. It's not as if Hip-Hop sprang out of nothingness on the streets of the Bronx in the late 70s.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:37 PM

One more thing K.O.N.Y (not trying to rag on you bruh) but you should check out this interview with Afrika himself as to the roots of Hip-Hop.

A Recent Interview w/ Afrika Bambaataa: History, Influence & Direction « Davey D’s Hip Hop Corner-(The Blog)

Quote:
Name your inspirations & mentors that helped guide & mold you to become a Musician/Dj & role model for your community in the 70’s.

My inspirations & mentors are James Brown, Sly & the Family Stone, George Clinton, Bootsy & Parliament Funkadelic, Every group at Motown Records, John Lennon & The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Kraftwerk, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Gary Numan, John Carpenter, Aretha Fanklin, Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross & the Supremes, The Jackson 5, Temptations, Mariam Makeba, Fela Kuti, Mighty Sparrow, Calypso Rose, Yellowman, Bob Marley, Isley Brothers, Curtis Mayfield, Willie Colon, Ray Baretto, & Fania All Stars.
All these groups because of their music, showmanship, & respect as serious artists help me on my musical Journey to become an artist in music.
As others have stated, he drew his inspiration mainly from funk and soul music as did most hip-hop artist of his era. As for the roots of the music....

Quote:
How did you help mold & influence this culture in the 70’s to create a positive & creative outlet for the youth of South Bronx NYC? Who assisted & co-organized this movement?

The Great Brothers & Sisters who helped me in the early days are the 1st Zulu Kings Amad Henderson, Shaka Reed, Aziz Jackson, Kusa Stokes, Zambu Lenair, Little Beaver, Shaka Zulu King Wade & Zulu Queens Kenya (Amber), Makeba (Darcell), Olubayu (Sherry), Tamisha (Wanda), The Fly Five, Lisa Lee, Mrs. Khayan, & other Zulus like Jazzy Jay, Red Alert, Superman, Sinbad, DST, Malibu, Tricky Tee, Ikey C., Mr. Biggs, Pow Wow, Globe, Ice Ice, Chubby Chub, Busy Bee Starski, Love Bug Starski, Disco King Mario, Kool DJ Dee & Tyrone, Grand Wizard Theodore, Mean Gene & The L Brothers, DJ Breakout &Funky 4, Grandmaster Flash & Furious Five, Mercedez Ladies, Pebbly Poo, Force MDs & Dr. Rock, Crash Crew, Cold Crush Brothers, Kool DJ Herc, & the List goes on…

In the Mid to late 70’s how did Hip Hop Culture come to be? Were all the elements (Bboy’n – Mcee’n – Dj’n & Writing) all separate subcultures but tied together because of the demographic (Bronx NYC)? Please explain?

Let’s set the Record Straight: each person whom I name above helped in some way to form this culture even though many did not know they were helping a movement but through the wisdom of Afrika Bambaataa & The Universal Zulu Nation, that Hip Hop was named as a culture & that The Universal Zulu Nation is the First (1st) Family World International Movement of Hip Hop Culture & from UZN all others recognize it all over the world as a Culture within other cultures throughout this Great planet so called Mother Earth.

It is Afrika Bambaataa to whom name & called each entity of BBoys/BGirls/DJaying/MCs/Aerosol Writing & adding The Most important Knowledge as the main Elements of Hip Hop Culture & Brother KRS One help to add more, with a few other as Plus Elements to the main Key elements of Hip Hop Culture. No one else never use or thought of naming each entity of the Culture an Element or to say that this Movement that we all are doing is called Hip Hop Culture or to recognize it as a World Movement. The Birth of this movement is The Bronx, New York City, New York Republic, but Rap is as Ancient as The creation of Humans it self.
So yes, the Bronx is where Hip-Hop became so named (and anyone is an idiot for saying otherwise), but this was something in movement for a long time and pulled in influence from the wider African diaspora in the Americas.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:00 PM

166 posts, read 367,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

In raw numbers, the top 10 metropolitan areas by African-American Population (this includes immigrants from Africa, the Caribbean and Latin America)

2. Atlanta - 1,657,619
3. Chicago - 1,540,470
5. D.C. - 1,024,353
7. Houston - 979,717
8. Detroit - 924,518
9. Baltimore - 703,323
10. Dallas - 607,457
There have been some slight changes in the top 10 (according to the latest Census estimates). The drop in LA's black population is the most dramatic; they're down to number 9. Miami/Fort Lauderdale is number 6, higher than Detroit and Houston. Baltimore has dropped below Dallas, to number 11. And there has actually been a slight drop in New York's black population since the last numbers:

1. NY/Newark ........3,162,284
2. Atlanta..............1,669,618
3. Chicago.............1,667,376
4. Washington, DC..1,370,929
5. Philadelphia........1,169,265
6. Miami/FL............1,042,874
7. Detroit..............1,008,171
8. Houston...............942,101
9. Los Angeles..........898,695
10. Dallas.................874,216
(11. Baltimore...........763,674)

Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

2. Atlanta - 1,657,619
3. Chicago - 1,540,470
5. D.C. - 1,024,353
7. Houston - 979,717
8. Detroit - 924,518
9. Baltimore - 703,323
10. Dallas - 607,457
I know that. My point was that eventhough close to 60% of Black folks live in the South, the 2 Blackest major cities are Northern cities.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:38 PM

Peace to my peoples in Atlanta. I'm reading this Brookings Institute report, "State of Metro America," that has some of the latest population statistics. It states that metropolitan Atlanta's population numbers cover 28 counties. Is this accurate? I always thought Atlanta's metro counties were Dekalb, Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, and a couple of other counties that I'm not as familiar with. Is this "28 county" number part of a new CSA category?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
Peace to my peoples in Atlanta. I'm reading this Brookings Institute report, "State of Metro America," that has some of the latest population statistics. It states that metropolitan Atlanta's population numbers cover 28 counties. Is this accurate? I always thought Atlanta's metro counties were Dekalb, Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, and a couple of other counties that I'm not as familiar with. Is this "28 county" number part of a new CSA category?
No, it's been that way for a while. While that might seem like a lot consider these two things

-There are 159 counties in Georgia. Most are smaller than 200 sq miles
-Atlanta is the only major city in North Georgia

Because of that, the CSA of Atlanta is 28 counties. The area that consists of "Atlanta" is really just 5 counties (The one's you listed above and Clayton Co).

Not sure what this has to do with the thread though?

Last edited by waronxmas; 09-08-2010 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know that. My point was that eventhough close to 60% of Black folks live in the South, the 2 Blackest major cities are Northern cities.
Again, you are coming to the incorrect conclusion. It is true that Detroit and Gary have the highest percentage of African-American residents in a city, but what does that even mean in real world terms? The world we live in now is more Metro oriented than "city" oriented, looking at things from a metro perspective rather than just a city perspective gives you a better idea of how an area operates

Besides, just looking at the percentage doesn't tell you much. I mean I could take 10 black people with me, move to Northern Montana, build a couple of house and a gas station, incorporate and instantly become the "blackest" city in America. Percentages don't always work for everything...

Not mention the last time I checked Detroit and Gary were in the Midwest, not the North.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
There is blood of your forefather's on the ground.In the soil.Those people lived so that you might live and be able just to be whatever YOU choose to be.You may be able to assimilate into the culture of white American easily but in the not to distant past it was illegal for your parents to copulate even in most Northern states.And you would never have been accepted in most areas of society that YOU choose to associate with today.All that so that those people that stayed and STOOD there ground could have a foundation of what we know as black culture.

Billie Holiday sang the song "Strange Fruit".Strange fruit growing on the trees.It was about lynchings.Do you think the souls of those people before us that died in that manner did not have a HISTORY?A STORY?

Rock music came out of the Blues.It was from pure PAIN and suffering daily,living in vain.You would not have it if people did not fight to live in the only home they knew.Wherein the WORLD have you heard of ANY culture that exist without fighting for the land that was their home?
Sometimes you get tired of running.Some people have to STAY and fight

Im not attacking you but you cannot be entirely be left off the hook.Regardless of you being biracial you should embrace both sides of your past with equal admiration and respect.I would dare say even more so your African roots because in this country(even today) if you have black features there are those on that will look down on you.Without having a sense of knowledge,purpose and pride you cannot grow to be all that you can be in this life without knowing the context of the past that brought you into existence.Its not fair to your ancestors nor is it fair to YOU.

Please open your mind and realize that despite what some blacks or others say.Its not about how you dress, talk,or walk or even what you listen to.Its all about your confidence,comfort, and acceptance of yourself as being good enough for anything anywhere.Its in other words about your "swag".
That is why many refuse to be ran away from the home of their culture and birth of there forefathers.Its not about acceptance or "aligning".
Its been about hope.HOPE is the backbone of African American culture.It was that spark that set plans into motion to get to where we need to be.Without it,we would have been lost along time ago.

True indeed bruh, true indeed. The South is ultimately the foundation because that's where most blacks lived (90% of the black population was still in the South at the start of the 20th Century). When I contemplate on all the hell my fore-parents went through, there is no way I could disrepect them or their legacy. It inspires me to be all that I can be and to try to achieve some of the things they could only dream of. And I'm not just talking about distant ancestors, I'm talking about my grandparents and great-grandparents that I knew personally. My mother's mother was only allowed to go to the 8th grade where she lived. My mom and dad both lived under segregation and graduated from legally segregated high schools.

The fundamental theme of Black American culture has always been "making something, out of nothing" or "making a way, out of no way." All of our music came out of that legacy of struggle. Speaking of the Blues, someone put me on to some of the "work songs" that black created under Jim Crow when they were incarcerated, many times for trivial reasons, just to exploit their labor on the "chain gang." Check out this prison/chain gang work song from Mississippi. Notice the "African" style call & response and how they kept time through the beat of their work tools.

YouTube - Negro Prison Songs / "Rosie"1947 [RARE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City