Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:53 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurewarrior View Post
The gays practically own this town. More Gay men than Lesbians. (Maybe I just notice it more as a Gay man). Lesbians are at home and comfortable, here. There are many.
Still, there are vicious phobes, even here. VERY rare discrimination openly. The entire town would be in an uproar over any injustice, to any GLBT.
Here, you can say just about anything GLBT, to anyone, and get away with it, if you say "Well, this IS Palm Springs..!"
This is in the Inland Empire desert region. Nowhere better in winter, here! Summers VERY hot! Though dry heat.
MUCH cheaper than West Hollywood or SF. Housing is a buyers market, now. Virtually crime free. Lots of protective laws, for GLBT, But still NO gay marriage in CA! Because of no seperation between church and State. The Mormons spent over $1,000,000 to defeat Prop 8, for Gay marriage. CA has some VERY conservative areas, indeed, especially rural areas.
PS is a beautiful CA desert Gay Mecca!

azur
The mayor of Palm Springs is gay. Palm Springs is a gay resort town & lots of retired gay people [mostly from San Francisco it seems]. Too bad it is God-awful hot in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 06:42 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, Boston is NOT that gay friendly. Also, many people move there from rural parts of New England that are definitely not accepting. Once you set foot outside of downtown Boston, forget it.

Another point to consider is that lesbians are more accepted than gay men, so your daughter does have that advantage.
You must not be aware of the reputation of Northampton, MA...long considered to be a lesbian mecca with the highest % of female couples living together in the country.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:46 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Last November the people of Florida voted to define marriage as only between one man and one woman. This legislation was initiated by churches. It is still the Bible Belt no matter what anyone says to the contrary. You want your daughter to live in a state where the people are voting for discrimination?

Go North.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Maybe Plattsburgh, NY, which has also had an openly Gay mayor recently and he was a Republican too.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,035 times
Midwest:
Chicago
Minneapolis
Columbus
Milwaukee

Northeast:
Philly
NYC
Boston
Pretty much all of Vermont
Providence

South:
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
Fort Lauderdale
Washington, D.C.

West Coast:
LA
San Francisco
Phoenix
Seattle
Portland
Sacramento
Salt Lake City
Denver
San Diego

Old 05-24-2009, 02:56 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Last November the people of Florida voted to define marriage as only between one man and one woman. This legislation was initiated by churches. It is still the Bible Belt no matter what anyone says to the contrary. You want your daughter to live in a state where the people are voting for discrimination?

Go North.
Here we go with you again. Southern states arent the only states to vote for that. Most states in the US have made that decision. But since FL did it, it must be bad right.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:06 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default The fact remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Here we go with you again. Southern states arent the only states to vote for that. Most states in the US have made that decision. But since FL did it, it must be bad right.
that Florida DID. This bill was sponsored by a bunch of churches; Bible Belt South. Slowing but surely the entire NE is passing gay marriage.

This was also another reason why my lesbian daughter left Florida. Why would she want to live in a place where she is legislated against?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:46 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times
What about Provo, Utah?

And the city with the most gays is NYC, DC seems to have alot of them too. I went to Orlando and have never seen so many gays holding hands and kissing and whatnot. It was honestly pretty gross. I mean, I don't feel compelled to start kissing my girlfriend when in line at Wal Mart, yet I honestly saw two gay couples (who weren't together) making out at this same Wal Mart. Ugh.

So I would say places with alot of gays, Orlando, NYC, and DC. The place where the gays seemed to fit in well, and not be too flamboyant, but not be judged was in NYC.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Oak Park, IL

Old 05-24-2009, 08:03 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleJake View Post
Pacific Coast:
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
San Francisco, CA

New England:
Boston, MA
Providence, RI
Montpelier, VT
Concord, NH

Mid-Atlantic:
New York, NY
Washington, DC

Midwest:
Chicago, IL
Bloomington, IN
Madison, WI
I think you should take the state into account LouisvilleJack. Chicago is not a gay friendly city, sure it has a gay area, but for the most part Chicago is very socially conservative and blue-collar Democratic. Chicago is in Illinois which is socially equivalent to Nebraska.

Bloomington Indiana is not good either.

Madison is probably okay, but it is still in Wisconsin.

Providence is in a state where she likely will never be able to be married because it is 68% Roman Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City