Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times

Advertisements

So, based on that map I see:
Chicago
St. Louis
Memphis
Dallas
Minneapolis/St. Paul

All have 4 or 5 (or more) Class I railroads running to/through it. But it's REALLY hard to see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
So, based on that map I see:
Chicago
St. Louis
Memphis
Dallas
Minneapolis/St. Paul

All have 4 or 5 (or more) Class I railroads running to/through it. But it's REALLY hard to see!
Looking at that map I see..
Chicago - 5
St. Louis - 4 or 5
Memphis - 5
Dallas - 2 or 3
Minneapolis/St. Paul - 3
-------------------------
Shreveport - 3
New Orleans - 5
Mobile - 4
Kansas City - 4

Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 AM

^I see more than 3 for MSP...look harder. One reason for this is its access to Canada from Chicago and the East.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
My mistake, I see it now.
Notice how with the exception of Chicago, all of the major Class I centers are the Mississippi River cities. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:14 PM

And rightfully so....the Mississippi is like another Class 1 route, along with any oceanic or Great Lakes port (e.g. New Orleans and Duluth, MN -- respectively).

Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,650 times
Three Class 1 railroads serve Philly's ports, and all three are doing work or are done so that they can double stack containers. And the ports are themselves expanding, and the river channel is being deepened. The other ports are maxing out, while Philly's has room to grow. PHL is also a major hub for UPS. And about 100 million live within 600 mile radius of the city, so as far as logistics and distribution goes, it's a great location.

SO where does Philly's rail shipping stack up?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
New Orleans is not a rail fan hot spot, but it is the only city that serves all 6 Class 1 railroads.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 PM

886 posts, read 2,225,917 times
Hmmmm wonder how KC got skipped...

KC is the 2nd largest rail hub in the US after Chicago.

Kansas City, MO rail hub could one day overtake Chicago in freight traffic - Kansas City Sustainable Transportation | Examiner.com

Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Hmmmm wonder how KC got skipped...

KC is the 2nd largest rail hub in the US after Chicago.

Kansas City, MO rail hub could one day overtake Chicago in freight traffic - Kansas City Sustainable Transportation | Examiner.com
Damn it! Where is Minneapolis/St. Paul in all of this? I love trains!!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
For most railways, the much of their track infrastructure is very lightly used, while the network totally hinges on a few crucial pieces. So it makes more sense to look at a traffic map than a route map.

http://www.economist.com/sites/default/files/images/images-magazine/2010/30/BB/201030BBM913.gif (broken link)

This is a map as produced by The Economist. Note the dashed blue and red ones are freight rail lines too--you've got to look at the density of the red line under the dash.

American railways: High-speed railroading | The Economist

It's really a fantastic article that accompanies it, but not on the subject of this debate.

As you can see, there are a few cities that have a few very congested rail lines (Los Angeles, Cleveland, Dallas, Atlanta), a few cities that have a huge number of very congested rail lines (Kansas City, Chicago), and a few cities that have a bunch of underused lines (Denver, New Orleans). Some cities might have good rail infrastructure theoretically, but it just happens not to fit very well into the network of whoever owns it.

Also, some places appear "important" because there is a ton of freight traffic, but it's just because a lot of freight passes by--Hastings, Nebraska, for instance. If there were some need, a bypass could be easily built to reroute the traffic, so it's difficult to think of the infrastructure as terrifically "important". On the other hand, the Chicagos, LAs, Atlantas, and Kansas Citys are vital links that it is nearly impossible to avoid, so the freight infrastructure that runs through town is really, really vital to our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City