Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The population in downtown Pittsburgh has increased by 25% since 2000, so whatever you might remember it as has likely changed for the better. The only problem now is that the downtown population is in two separate clusters, one along the Penn Avenue/Liberty Avenue corridor, and another along the Fort Pitt Boulevard/Boulevard of the Allies corridor. There's still a dead zone in between.
A 25% increase from near-zero is still not a particularly large number. It hasn't been that long since I've been in downtown Pittsburgh, and best I can tell it still largely shuts down at 6pm.

Have you ever been to downtown Milwaukee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 11:19 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
So a downtown is only vibrant AFTER 6pm??????? And as I said the Cultural District isn't doing to bad for itself as far as nightlife...

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 09-05-2010 at 11:34 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
So a downtown is only vibrant AFTER 6pm???????
Who is your post directed toward?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:40 PM

Yours - the largely shuts down after 6pm...I highly doubt Milwaukee transforms into Manhattan after 6pm....and since when has after 6pm become the benchmark for Downtown vibrancy...If that's the case DC, Miami, LA, Seattle should all be worried.

Pittsburgh doesnt depend on Downtown for Nightlife activity.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Yours . . .
Really? Oh. I don't see how, since I never said or even implied any such thing.

Quote:
Pittsburgh doesnt depend on Downtown for Nightlife activity.
So then why does it matter to you and Gnutella to believe that Pittsburgh's downtown is more vibrant than Milwaukee's? Why the need to "prove" with pictures that downtown Pittsburgh has a nightlife? If Pittsburgh doesn't depend on it, why does it matter?

Old 09-06-2010, 12:02 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Most people in Pittsburgh do not consider downtown vibrant -- but that is changing. Lots of good things are happening downtown.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:56 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Not counting Chicago, I'd say Pittsburg.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Really? Oh. I don't see how, since I never said or even implied any such thing
You didnt just say this...my eyes must be deciving me....

Quote:
A 25% increase from near-zero is still not a particularly large number. It hasn't been that long since I've been in downtown Pittsburgh, and best I can tell it still largely shuts down at 6pm.

Have you ever been to downtown Milwaukee?
or this

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
No Steelers

Seriously though, I think it probably is due to the fact that downtown Pitt has a more vibrant core. Not to say that Milwuakee is bad, but I think Pitt has more going on in that arena...
No it doesn't.
Implies to me that in your book a Downtown is only Vibrant if its livley after 6pm...

Quote:
So then why does it matter to you and Gnutella to believe that Pittsburgh's downtown is more vibrant than Milwaukee's? Why the need to "prove" with pictures that downtown Pittsburgh has a nightlife? If Pittsburgh doesn't depend on it, why does it matter?
Because your making blatant statement without all the facts...sure downtown Pittsburgh for the most part shuts down after the work hours....Because Pittsburgh downtown was largely a CBD, a place to do business and nothing more...People went to the neighborhoods for their living and nightlife activities....and its still pretty much this way today...but look at Downtown Pittsburgh during the business day (you know before your 6pm benchmark) and it just as bustling and vibrant as the Loop or Midtown Manhattan.

Now I admit I don't know what Milwaukee's Downtown looks likes if it rivals Pittsburgh then that just great or if it transforms into Manhattan after 6pm even better.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Does Milwuakee get rated "most livable city" the way Pittsburgh does year-in and year-out?

Forbes once again names Pittsburgh 'Most Livable City' - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Does Milwuakee get rated "most livable city" the way Pittsburgh does year-in and year-out?

Forbes once again names Pittsburgh 'Most Livable City' - Pittsburgh Business Times
Milwaukee does get ignored a lot, though. Maybe Forbes is guilty of it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City