Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Americas Freeway Capital?
Los Angeles 231 60.95%
San Diego 4 1.06%
Dallas 29 7.65%
Houston 69 18.21%
Atlanta 27 7.12%
Other (name it) 19 5.01%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles/Southern California in terms of reach and number of miles. However, a lot of people don't realize that a lot more freeways were planned to be built.

Houston is a close second. They have done a pretty good job in terms of expanding their freeway and tollway network, and those stack interchanges (particularly along the Beltway) kick ass. However, I think that their freeways have been a blessing and a curse in terms of the city's reputation. A lot of people get a look at I-45/North Freeway or I-10/East Freeway and see the industrial landscape and the endless billboards and think that all of Houston looks like that.

Dallas/Ft. Worth gets points for its extensive system and network. Their freeways aren't as "nice" looking as Houston's (except for the North Central Expressway), but in terms of reach and and accessibility, there are very few metros that can really compete.

Atlanta's freeways are wide because they have to be. Since the arterial/street network isn't up to par, we get a lot a lot of massive traffic on the freeways since the alternative routes aren't as good. The DT Connector may be wide, but it's a clusterf*ck of too many exits and entrances too close together. The Perimeter/I-285 was originally meant as a bypass, but those days are long gone. I-85 in Gwinnett County is wide and has some cool parts to it, but the congestion on that section of freeway is pretty well known. Basically, you have a metro area of 5.5 million people using a freeway system that was designed for about half of that population. When the "Freeing-The-Freeways" project that helped widen the freeways in the area in the late 1980's to accommodate the growth of the area, the freeways were not designed for the sheer amount of people that relocated to Metro Atlanta after the Olympics in 1996.

Honorable mention goes to the Kansas City Metro area. Lots of freeway miles for a metro of its size.

San Diego and Phoenix get honorable mentions from me as well.

People forget about NYC. While their network is extensive, it is quite overburdened because the freeways really aren't that wide enough. Ever been on I-95 in CT or Westchester or the LIE heading into the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
One thing I envy about Columbus is that it's half the size of the Twin Cities, yet you have 3, 4 or 5 lanes on nearly all of your freeways! We are just NOW getting to that point but it's WAY too late, of course.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
One thing I envy about Columbus is that it's half the size of the Twin Cities, yet you have 3, 4 or 5 lanes on nearly all of your freeways! We are just NOW getting to that point but it's WAY too late, of course.
Columbus does have an extensive, impressive network of freeways ... constructed largely to accomodate the ongoing and future growth of this sprawling city.
Just to point something out though, Columbus is actually a much larger and more populated city than Minneapolis & St. Paul combined.
Only the addition of the vast suburbs of MSP ( the MSA ) is larger than that of Columbus.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Columbus does have an extensive, impressive network of freeways ... constructed largely to accomodate the ongoing and future growth of this sprawling city.
Just to point something out though, Columbusis actually a much larger and more populated city than Minneapolis & St. Paul combined.
Only the addition of the vast suburbs of MSP ( the MSA ) is larger than that of Columbus.
Which is what really matters. Metro populations are how to really judge the size of a city. I grew up in Columbus actually and people would always say "its the largest city in Ohio" then when you go to Cleveland and Cincy which have smaller city populations and larger metro populations you can definitely tell youre in bigger cities. It kind of gives a wrong impression because Columbus isnt the largest "city" in ohio. The Cleveland area is.
As for freeways Columbus has a very organized network and this makes it very easy to get around. you can get from one side of town to the other in 20 minutes usually. Northeast Ohio (Cleveland/Akron) area have a much larger and busier freeway system though. Cleveland also has light and heavy rail which is impressive.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,546,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
More lanes means more construction, West. You up for that?

Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Which is what really matters. Metro populations are how to really judge the size of a city. I grew up in Columbus actually and people would always say "its the largest city in Ohio" then when you go to Cleveland and Cincy which have smaller city populations and larger metro populations you can definitely tell youre in bigger cities. It kind of gives a wrong impression because Columbus isnt the largest "city" in ohio. The Cleveland area is.
As for freeways Columbus has a very organized network and this makes it very easy to get around. you can get from one side of town to the other in 20 minutes usually. Northeast Ohio (Cleveland/Akron) area have a much larger and busier freeway system though. Cleveland also has light and heavy rail which is impressive.
Cleveland does have an impressive freeway system, I know this from being a proud native of the city.
You definitely do gain a sense of a "much larger city" in Cleveland ... despite the fact that Columbus ( city alone ) has nearly 400,000 more inhabitants.
The Cleveland freeway system and metro area is impressive, too ... thank's for pointing this out.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
I actually thought i read somewhere that North Jersey has the most highways per sq mile or capita or something

Old 09-07-2010, 04:11 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I actually thought i read somewhere that North Jersey has the most highways per sq mile or capita or something
That wouldn't be hard to believe since the south is suburban Philly and the north is suburban NY.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Austin's freeways suck & is a product of what can happen when anti growth liberal hippy tree hugging cities don't build better infrastructure.
Like San Francisco?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
LA hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City