Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:00 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

Lmao @ Sizing someone up at the gas station, I've actually seen that before. I was sitting in the car though. They scared the crap out of the "sizer upper". Mean mugged the hell out of him.

It was so funny the way he speed away on his bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 11:58 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Sorry,not a city in USA,but Darwin,in Northern Territory of Australia,is sometimes known as The City of the Broken Jaw..highest number of such occurances by far in Australia.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:39 AM

422 posts, read 791,778 times
What about oakland? Plenty of violence there.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:01 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Probably East London, Birmingham or Liverpool. Ok. I realize the OP probably meant just American cities. While you're definitely way more likely to get shot here in the States, cities in England definitely have more fisticuffs. There is an abundance of hooligans and hoods on the streets there just waiting to getting into brawls at bars, football games, or just random places. Fist fights are pretty much "out of style" here now, tough guys opting to pull triggers (and many who have skills with their fist avoid punching for fear the retaliation may be from a pistol muzzle) but in Merry olde England they are still all the rage.
I've heard this about Britain. I don't know if we're going international with this, but someone after you mentioned Darwin, Australia and I'd heard of it's rep too.

I think one of the Scandinavian nations also has a high assault rate. It was one where binge drinking was popular. Maybe I'm thinking of Finland, even though I've heard some argue it's not Scandinavian. New Zealand is also about the same as the US according to one study I read. Possibly in one of their shabbier cities there's some fisticuffs.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 AM

803 posts, read 1,264,112 times
Most major cities in the deep south, I read that assault rates are highest down here.

Birmingham is freaking crazy!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
What a stupid thread.
You are being far too kind...

Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Ok, stupid thread or not, i'll answer: Fights can happen in any city, no matter the crime rate....i've personally witnessed several fights here in SF, including a few random, unprovoked ones (a couple were more like "attacks" rather than anything resembling a fair fight), which is to be expected on a higher than average basis probably, when you have some combination of the following, as SF does:

LOTS of drugs
density
lots of homeless people
lots of thugs/dealers/gangbangers etc
lax/hamstrung policing
understaffed and underfunded police
a "rotating door" justice system

The latest random, unprovoked "fight" i saw here, which i've already talked about in a couple threads, involved a teenage gangbanger beating an old man on a crush-loaded bus during rush hour. The old man's crime? He asked the kid to stop kicking him in the back of the legs.

Or the time last year when some crazy toothless dude told a woman on the bus that he liked her front teeth, after she smiled. She got creeped out, and got off the bus...only he followed her, knocked her down in the bus stop, knocked her teeth out, and stole them. Yes you get your teeth stolen here, forget fights at the gas station.

Then there's the guy who went around the city randomly stabbing women and children last year, including a sleeping woman on the train, a mother walking with her kids, and an 11-year-old boy on his first solo bus ride.

I could really type a couple pages of this kind of stuff just from the past few years...but then i'm sure people in many other cities could as well.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
In my experience, it's alcohol, alcohol, alcohol, coupled with closing time.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 PM

422 posts, read 791,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Most major cities in the deep south, I read that assault rates are highest down here.

Birmingham is freaking crazy!

Birmingham? It's not bad at all.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 PM

331 posts, read 903,573 times
D.C. and Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City