Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities would you like to see host the World Cup the most?
Los Angeles 27 30.34%
New York 24 26.97%
San Diego 14 15.73%
Seattle 23 25.84%
Denver 15 16.85%
Houston 20 22.47%
Kansas City 7 7.87%
Indianapolis 7 7.87%
Philidelphia 22 24.72%
Miami 16 17.98%
Washington D.C. 24 26.97%
Dallas 16 17.98%
Tampa 8 8.99%
Boston 16 17.98%
Baltimore 10 11.24%
Atlanta 15 16.85%
Phoenix 7 7.87%
Nashville 9 10.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
No I actually mean Dallas because that's what the site says
Well sorry to burst your bubble, but if the World Cup were held there it would be at the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas which is 20 miles west of Dallas where Six Flags & all of those other entertainment venues are located. Its closer to Fort Worth than Dallas, but Dallas likes to claim it as theirs when its the tax payers of Arlington who footed the bill for Jerry World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 06:18 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Quote:
"The U.S. Bid includes 18 candidate host cities: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa and Washington, D.C."
Geographically west to east:

1. Los Angeles
2. San Diego (San Francisco instead if it were an option)
3. Seattle
4. Denver (Chicago instead if it were an option)
5. Dallas
6. Kansas City
7. Nashville
8. Miami
9. Washington D.C.
10. Baltimore
11. Philadelphia
12. New York

I would pick cities that make practical sense. I choose L.A. and San Diego so people would be able to make an easy drive between the two to see games. Same goes for Baltimore-D.C. and Philly-New York. I left Boston off because I see no reason why all 5 major northeastern cities should be represented while other regions like the west and midwest have notable exclusions. Miami because its sexy, and Denver-Dallas-KC-Nashville because I think people should see the interior of the country.

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 09-06-2010 at 06:37 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 07:02 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
When the World Cup was here in '94 Detroit and KC hosted games, so there is a history of Midwest cities hosting. Furthermore, both the Silverdome and Giants Stadium had astroturf fields at the time, but they planted natural grass fields just for the World Cup. So, I would anticipate the same thing happening at any candidate site with fieldturf currently. Finally, it really doesn't matter where the games are played, and how "diverse" those cities are. People will come. It's the World Cup.

With all of that in mind, I'm pulling for Indy. I'm biased, of course, since I live there. It would be great for the city, and we'd be a great host.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
When the World Cup was here in '94 Detroit and KC hosted games, so there is a history of Midwest cities hosting. Furthermore, both the Silverdome and Giants Stadium had astroturf fields at the time, but they planted natural grass fields just for the World Cup. So, I would anticipate the same thing happening at any candidate site with fieldturf currently. Finally, it really doesn't matter where the games are played, and how "diverse" those cities are. People will come. It's the World Cup.

With all of that in mind, I'm pulling for Indy. I'm biased, of course, since I live there. It would be great for the city, and we'd be a great host.
Kansas City was a host? That's news to me.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:12 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
2. San Diego (San Francisco instead if it were an option)

Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
I don't get why people would pick San Francisco! I am so freaking happy it isn't one of the cities they are considering! Finally give another city the spotlight! Yes, San Francisco is World Class but why not give another city a chance at rising up and becoming a star to the nation and the whole world?!?!? This is a great opportunity for cities such as San Diego and Phoenix to rise up and become even more recognizable among the World. I don't get it. it's like this selfish facade like "that city has and is first class, so it should always be!" WRONG. Cities will not grow reputationally without their fair share of the spotlight. Open your eyes and accept this as a fact.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:29 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Kansas City was a host? That's news to me.
You got me. Why did I think KC hosted. Maybe I confused KC with Dallas. Still, another city in the middle of country not known for having a huge soccer base.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I don't get why people would pick San Francisco! I am so freaking happy it isn't one of the cities they are considering! Finally give another city the spotlight! Yes, San Francisco is World Class but why not give another city a chance at rising up and becoming a star to the nation and the whole world?!?!? This is a great opportunity for cities such as San Diego and Phoenix to rise up and become even more recognizable among the World. I don't get it. it's like this selfish facade like "that city has and is first class, so it should always be!" WRONG. Cities will not grow reputationally without their fair share of the spotlight. Open your eyes and accept this as a fact.
zzzZZZzzzZZZZZZzzzzZZZzzzZZZZzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzZZZzz

Old 09-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
You got me. Why did I think KC hosted. Maybe I confused KC with Dallas. Still, another city in the middle of country not known for having a huge soccer base.
I hope KC gets it this time around. I think it would be a fab host destination.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:47 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City