Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MI vs OH
Michigan 109 51.42%
Ohio 103 48.58%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,533,770 times

Advertisements

Ohio has the brown Ohio river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,934,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
It's been 4,574 days (almost 13 YEARS) since TSIO last beat Michigan (NOT counting the cheating sweater-vest wins that will almost surely be vacated). The Wolverines own you. Go Blue.
So let me get this straight... Because some of the players sold some stuff and the coach lied about it, that means that the actual games involved cheating? This is the excuse you guys are going with for your awful seasons the better part of the last decade? Good luck with that.

Appalachian State...

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,934,871 times
So you guys are still going with this "Michigan is the most beautiful state ever" stuff, huh? I asked this before, but what else do you have?? Natural beauty has not fostered huge amounts of tourism, as the stats I provided show. It hasn't improved your economy, it hasn't kept people in the state. It hasn't made your one main industry, auto, particularly healthy. It hasn't kept unemployment low. Even most of the people praising Michigan in this thread couldn't stand living there and left. You have some trees and a lot of water. Fantastic, it's doing you guys wonders.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM

5,494 posts, read 9,431,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Also, Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the country. What does Ohio have that compares to this:

Also, let the Detroit thing go -- it's a tiny part of the state. There are parts of Michigan that are closer to Nunavut than Detroit.
Ah, I was waiting for the pictures! #6 is particularly nice! They are all nice, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure they are all that different from what can be found in Ohio.

Here are some of my pics--just from Youngstown. (these don't even show all the picturesque sites in Mill Creek Park/Youngstown, let alone Ohio.)

Fellows Riverside Gardens:

Youngstown Italian Fest - Downtown

Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,593,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So let me get this straight... Because some of the players sold some stuff and the coach lied about it, that means that the actual games involved cheating? This is the excuse you guys are going with for your awful seasons the better part of the last decade? Good luck with that.

Appalachian State...
It means (some of) the OSU players, their coach-- and most likely-- the administration-- did not play within the rules. As such, they cheated. You don't get to pick and choose which laws we want to break because we think it's not that big of a deal. I.E., you pay for your tats straight up. You pay for cars. You don't sell off merchandise that was given to you by the NCAA and the institution that is allowing you to get an education tuition-free. Rules are in place for a reason-- compliance. While it's sometimes hard to imagine, OSU's primary reason for existence is to provide an institution of higher learning and research for residents of the State (and people outside the state should they choose to attend; though OSU has a smaller ratio of out-of-staters than most IIRC).

Whether you like it or not, this means OSU is more than likely going on probation, and it may be a major probation, perhaps vacating wins, banning from bowl games and lost scholarships. This may be the beginning of a very dark period for OSU. Unfortunately, this also has collateral damage on the BigTen (guilt by association, but I'm going to guess it will be minor).

If you follow the OSU-M series whatsoever, you will certainly be aware that the series runs in cycles. Michigan owned the series from the mid 80s to 2000, OSU has owned from 2000 on. You are also well aware that the cycle is about to take another turn, right? The turn just went another 45 degrees with Tressel resigning.

BTW-- Michigan leads the series 57–44–6. I would expect the the gap to increase over the next few years.

Oh, and getting back on topic, Michigan also leads this poll.

Last edited by BigLake; 05-31-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,348,991 times
OSU "owning" the series has to do with them using ineligible players and a dirty coach. It doesn't count -- those wins will be vacated. OSU has not beaten Michigan on fair terms since 1998. The real series record is 57-35-6 in favor of the Blue -- and Michigan doesn't have to cheat to beat TSIO! OSU hasn't "dominated" the series since the 1960s. Next!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM

82 posts, read 89,644 times
Ohio State dominates Michigan. This isn't open to debate. I mean; give me a break. They aren't even rivals anymore. You can't have a rivalry when one side kills the other year after year.

Just because the coach allowed folks to exchange stuff for tatoos doesn't erase the complete dominace.

And Michigan has plenty of the same in its history. It's also under NCAA football sanctions, and the "Fab Five" were perhaps the most corrupt basketball team in NCAA history.

And I don't even like Ohio State! But get real already! All the top-tier teams cheat.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,593,301 times
so, from 1988 - 2000 (recent history), when Michigan held a 8-1-1 advantage over Ohio State, this wasn't domination and it's not open for debate? What?

Nobody is arguing that Ohio State hasn't recently dominated the rivalry. They're 9-1. What we're saying is that the recent events (Tressel resigning, almost certain major probation), this will likely stem the change to another cycle.

Anyway, getting off topic.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:17 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,533,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Ah, I was waiting for the pictures! #6 is particularly nice! They are all nice, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure they are all that different from what can be found in Ohio.

Here are some of my pics--just from Youngstown. (these don't even show all the picturesque sites in Mill Creek Park/Youngstown, let alone Ohio.)

Fellows Riverside Gardens:

Youngstown Italian Fest - Downtown

Youngstown - the Ohio city which has had 10% unemployment for the past 40 years.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM

5,494 posts, read 9,431,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Youngstown - the Ohio city which has had 10% unemployment for the past 40 years.
Yes, the Ohio city that is most comparable with Detroit or Flint, looks that nice! (though I haven't seen any blight in Youngstown that compares with the worst I've seen pictures of in Detroit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City