Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MI vs OH
Michigan 109 51.42%
Ohio 103 48.58%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Michigan. It's my home state, and I'm a Michigan fan. M Go Blue!

Michigan and Ohio really aren't that similar. The lower 1/4 of Michigan is similar to Ohio, but Michigan above I-96/I-69 is part of the Upper Midwest, more like Minnesota and Wisconsin than Ohio. Ohio doesn't have the UP, northwoods, northern lights or vast spaces like Michigan does. Ohio is also more "Southern" in culture (calm down Southerners, I'm not saying Ohio is a Southern state!) and fits in better with Indiana, downstate Illinois and Missouri than it does with Michigan.
As a native Ohioan and someone that also loves Michigan, I totally disagree with this assessment. They are VERY similar, in many, many ways.

It seems that you have no problem at all making huge, sweeping, over-generalized statements of things, even when it is clear you have no idea of the subject matter. It certainly does no favor to your credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Ohio.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
I did my first year of college in Ann Arbor. I love Michigan and have a lot of great memories from there.
Michigan gets my vote, its an awesome state with some unfortunate economic cycles.
I hope for the best recovery for both of these states. A healthy America, is an America they cannot f*** with.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Ohio has some nicer cities. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus all have quite a bit to offer. Each has seen much more urban renewal than Detroit. Ohio is more economically viable at this point.

Michigan is the most beautiful state in the Midwest for natural surroundings. Detroit itself is struggling, but Suburban Detroit is fantastic. Detroit's suburbs give it a leg up on a lot of cities in my book. Chicago's got Michigan Avenue, Detroit's got The Somerset Collection. Grand Rapids is a tremendously overlooked metro. Lots of renewal going on Downtown, and West Michigan has an incredibly scenic lakefront, and its only 2.5-3 hours from the Chicago Loop.

I have to go with Michigan, even though I spent a significant portion of my childhood outside Cleveland.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
As a native Ohioan and someone that also loves Michigan, I totally disagree with this assessment. They are VERY similar, in many, many ways.

It seems that you have no problem at all making huge, sweeping, over-generalized statements of things, even when it is clear you have no idea of the subject matter. It certainly does no favor to your credibility.
Ironwood, Michigan is nothing like Ohio. It's up in the Western UP, a 13-hour drive from Ohio. Heck, it's closer to Bismarck, ND and Sioux Falls, SD than Ohio. Ironwood is VERY similar to Minnesota (only an hour away). It's an Upper Midwestern city. It's nothing like Ohio, a lower Midwest state. I'm from MI and have family in OH, so I know both states very well. Southern Michigan is very similar to Ohio and part of the Lower Midwest, but Northern Michigan and the U.P. are very different. Have you ever been to Northern Michigan?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Only the southern part of Michigan is like OH. The Northern part of MI is not like OH.

Quote:
Pot... meet kettle.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Ironwood, Michigan is nothing like Ohio. It's up in the Western UP, a 13-hour drive from Ohio. Heck, it's closer to Bismarck, ND and Sioux Falls, SD than Ohio. Ironwood is VERY similar to Minnesota (only an hour away). It's an Upper Midwestern city. It's nothing like Ohio, a lower Midwest state. I'm from MI and have family in OH, so I know both states very well. Southern Michigan is very similar to Ohio and part of the Lower Midwest, but Northern Michigan and the U.P. are very different. Have you ever been to Northern Michigan?
Of course you are going to have differences, especially in some far corner of the State. And yes, I have been to Northern Michigan - we used to have a cabin in Alpena when I was a kid. I have also been to the UP. Very beautiful place.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Pot... meet kettle.
Sorry, but wrong.

You don't know the history behind the statement you are responding to.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Ohio has vastly superior cities. The only good large city Michigan can claim is Grand Rapids. Ohio can claim Columbus, Cincinnatti, Toledo, Akron, and Cleveland.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Ohio has vastly superior cities. The only good large city Michigan can claim is Grand Rapids. Ohio can claim Columbus, Cincinnatti, Toledo, Akron, and Cleveland.
Really, Toledo and Akron? Then I guess Michigan can claim Lansing and Ann Arbor too just to be fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City