Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MI vs OH
Michigan 109 51.42%
Ohio 103 48.58%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Most Michiganders hate Michigan. It sucks. We need to have more pride in our state.
Thank you! lol at all these fools trying to make MI something it isn't on C-D smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yawn.

Detroit is a cancer on the rest of the state when it comes to peoples perception of the state overall. There is NO denying that Detroit is in very rough shape and has been for decades. When you mention to people outside of this region that you live in Michigan, they immediately think of Detroit and it's woes. They do not think of the thousands of miles of sugar sand beaches on crystal clear water, or the huge tracts of woodlands and pristine natural areas in the rest of the state. The bustling beach towns or the rural farming communities don't enter their minds. What enters their minds are the miles and miles of urban decay and wastelands that make up a good portion of a once thriving and prosperous city. THAT is a cancer on the rest of the state. Am I saying that I don't like Detroit, nope, because I actually do. I love Detroit, but I get tired of telling people I know in other states that no, I don't live anywhere that even remotely resembles what they see in the media when Michigan is mentioned.

As for people getting away from Michigan and not Detroit, how do you explain that there are blocks and blocks of ruins and empty houses in Detroit and that the population is now a shadow of what it was 40 years ago. People have been fleeing Detroit for many, many years and not looking back.

See, even Detroit natives think "Detroit" when they try to picture Michigan.
Please! if you loved Detroit you would have kept your little comment. Like I said. Plenty of Michiganders are dying to move away from MICHIGAN not just Detroit. Most MI cities are either bad and no different than Detroit or have nice neighborhoods with nothing it or boring rural areas. I know PLENTY of suburbanites who have moved away with no hopes of returning...so your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Detroit, the most abandoned major city in the nation, doesn't have heaps of people wanting to get out?
If they aren't saying it, it's probably because it feels near impossible. Decent houses in Detroit sell for $10,000- Where is that going to get the average joes wanting to get out? Flint?

No offense, but quit exaggerating. Michigan is the most beautiful state in the Midwest.
And there are plenty of homes in Detroit that sell for way more....your point is? Near impossible? lmmfao at all of you who swear that all the people living in Detroit don't leave because they can't. Like there aren't plenty of people here who stay because they want to smh. exaggerating? do you live here? uh thought so! I can name plenty of cities in MI that don't fit that "MI is so beautiful" bs. Michigan as whole need to get it **** together and without fixing Detroit MI will more than likely remain how it is.

Lol I know people here who complain about stupid ish about MI from the weather to MI not having a cheesecake factory! lmao.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Please! if you loved Detroit you would have kept your little comment. Like I said. Plenty of Michiganders are dying to move away from MICHIGAN not just Detroit. Most MI cities are either bad and no different than Detroit or have nice neighborhoods with nothing it or boring rural areas. I know PLENTY of suburbanites who have moved away with no hopes of returning...so your point.
Have you ever gotten past Lansing? Seriously. "Most Michigan cities are either bad and no different than Detroit..." Seriously? you think that? You need to get out of the Cancer cells of Detroit and look around a bit more. Ever hear of Grand Rapids, or Ann Arbor? Even Kalamazoo, and Traverse City.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Thank you! lol at all these fools trying to make MI something it isn't on C-D smh
Reading comprehension is your friend... Flyingwriter isn't agreeing with you.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:32 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,808,427 times
Quote:

And there are plenty of homes in Detroit that sell for way more....your point is? Near impossible? lmmfao at all of you who swear that all the people living in Detroit don't leave because they can't. Like there aren't plenty of people here who stay because they want to smh. exaggerating? do you live here? uh thought so! I can name plenty of cities in MI that don't fit that "MI is so beautiful" bs. Michigan as whole need to get it **** together and without fixing Detroit MI will more than likely remain how it is.

Lol I know people here who complain about stupid ish about MI from the
I didn't say all, they're selling homes way under the national average because they're desperate. I'm sure there's plenty of people who want to stay, a lot of them being the undesirables.
I'm not gutting you or anything- My city has issues galore, but I'm not the one pouring glitter on my city and then pouring pigs guts on the rest of the state out of spite.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:59 PM

45 posts, read 158,369 times
Sad to say both states are struggling horribly . I call it a tie . Michigan and Ohio have both lost so much of their industry that several cities are full of burned out manufacturing plants and jobs have moved to other countries . I grew up in Akron , Ohio and remember living in a state that had most of the best amusement parks and outdoor activities you could ever hope for and times were good due to manufacturing and living in the " rubber capitol " . As an adult I worked in the auto industry and made frequent trips to Michigan and remember seeing a state that was an economic powerhouse . UP is beautiful without question . Now ; if you factor in weather you can start a whole new argument . It's sad to see two of the former most powerful economic states being torn apart by greed and a global economy where they can't compete .

Old 09-09-2010, 01:11 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
Plenty of people in the Midwest have an inferiority complex...it ain't just Michigan. I'd say that Hoosiers have even more disdain for their state, on a per capita basis.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,030,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Have you ever gotten past Lansing? Seriously. "Most Michigan cities are either bad and no different than Detroit..." Seriously? you think that? You need to get out of the Cancer cells of Detroit and look around a bit more. Ever hear of Grand Rapids, or Ann Arbor? Even Kalamazoo, and Traverse City.
I grew up in Michigan and have been all over Ohio and Pennsylvania, as well as most of the rust belt. What I can say without hesitation is that Michigan only has one decent large(ish) city, and that is Grand Rapids. Detroit is in ruins, Lansing is a dead city except for MSU in East Lansing, Ann Arbor is just a big college town itself. Kalamazoo is a nice city, but not large enough to be put up against Ohio's metros.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:35 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,603,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Plenty of people in the Midwest have an inferiority complex...it ain't just Michigan. I'd say that Hoosiers have even more disdain for their state, on a per capita basis.
Yeah, I would agree for the most part. I feel like people that live near Chicago and a good chunk of metro Indianapolis don't have disdain for Indiana. I grew up in Fort Wayne and I know that the disdain is strong there.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Yeah, I would agree for the most part. I feel like people that live near Chicago and a good chunk of metro Indianapolis don't have disdain for Indiana. I grew up in Fort Wayne and I know that the disdain is strong there.
Spot on assessment you have there. I've found that the people that hate this state the most are the ones who have lived here all their lives, and never bothered to venture outside of the state and explore other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City