Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MI vs OH
Michigan 109 51.42%
Ohio 103 48.58%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 PM

79 posts, read 238,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentmassey View Post
Hi, I don;t like Michigan form many reasons

1) Michigan do have the huge Scandinaivans population, that they have in Minnesota.

2) there are lots of people with southern ancestry.

3) Michigan is one Industry type State

4) Detroit is the only city in that state that could be consider a city, while the rest are like medium small size cities.

5)Michigan doesn't have strong Identity with the rest of upper midwest, also it does not have connection with other upper midwestern state.
what? I have a hard time figuring out what your point is in most of those statements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyduck View Post
Michigan is beautiful and unique in many ways. Ohio is too much like Indiana, boring. Michigan is my home, and it is an amazing place. I miss it, I'll most likely never move back, but it will always be home.
Michigan is so amazing you don't live there and will never go back.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM

79 posts, read 238,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Michigan is so amazing you don't live there and will never go back.
I said I will probably never move back, not that I will never visit. Big difference.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:17 PM

161 posts, read 246,439 times
Michigan wins this hands down.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Columbus is "booming" BIG TIME and Cleveland is beginning to experience yet another renaissance
Maybe it's just me (definitely possible), but after living in Columbus for 5 years and hearing this phrase so often, it irks me every time. Columbus is not "booming big time" when compared to many cities in this country. Even for the Midwest and its history, Columbus' recent prosperity is pretty tame compared to the amazing rise of some cities like St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, etc. This is not to say that Columbus isn't growing, doing well, and doing very well for the Midwest and the U.S., but I just hate to use the term "booming" when it's not even the 20 fastest growing metros in the country.

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, but since it's like the umpteenth time I've heard this expression, I just thought I'd point it out.

As for Michigan vs. Ohio -- no comment....

Old 05-07-2011, 10:59 AM

293 posts, read 900,014 times
I prefer Ohio. Mainly because it offers more variety and personality in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Toledo.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:47 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
I like both states but IMO Ohio's cities are more diverse and interesting.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyduck View Post
I said I will probably never move back, not that I will never visit. Big difference.
Not really. I see a lot of posts in this thread from people from Michigan who no longer live there. If it's so beautiful and amazing, why is it that you all moved away?

Where the cities are dying and even the people that like the state move away: Pure Michigan.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Maybe it's just me (definitely possible), but after living in Columbus for 5 years and hearing this phrase so often, it irks me every time. Columbus is not "booming big time" when compared to many cities in this country. Even for the Midwest and its history, Columbus' recent prosperity is pretty tame compared to the amazing rise of some cities like St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, etc. This is not to say that Columbus isn't growing, doing well, and doing very well for the Midwest and the U.S., but I just hate to use the term "booming" when it's not even the 20 fastest growing metros in the country.

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, but since it's like the umpteenth time I've heard this expression, I just thought I'd point it out.

As for Michigan vs. Ohio -- no comment....
If you want to talk about the entire history of the Midwest or the US, maybe you have a point. I'm also not sure that having a meteoric rise is a good thing considering that Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, etc have all experienced periods of severe decline after their booms ended, and in all 3 cases, still suffer to varying degrees. I expect the same thing to happen to places in the Sunbelt eventually. Columbus has never went through a period of decline, not in 200 years, and it's steady growth, while I agree should probably not be considered "booming", is pretty healthy no matter what standard you're using. I do believe that cities like Columbus, Indy, KC, etc are all far better positioned for prominence than older metros that have already seen their booms come and go, or for that matter cities that are seeing booms now but will have the inevitable crash.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:03 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Not really. I see a lot of posts in this thread from people from Michigan who no longer live there. If it's so beautiful and amazing, why is it that you all moved away?

Where the cities are dying and even the people that like the state move away: Pure Michigan.
Some of us moved back after leaving as kids fresh out of school. A lot of the people I graduated with ended up in different states... most of those, are back somewhere in Michigan.

Not all cities are dying, some are quite vibrant and doing well. But you don't like MI so I'm not going to argue the point any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City