Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wichita or Kansas City, MO?
Wichita, KS 12 30.77%
Kansas City, MO 27 69.23%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 PM

221 posts, read 482,051 times

Advertisements

I've been living here in Wichita, KS for almost two years. I've never visited Kansas City, MO. I've talked to people here who either lived in or visited KCMO, and it seems to be an even draw. From my research, I imagine KCMO is MUCH better than Wichita since it's much larger, and seems to have more to offer. But, what do you guys think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:02 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,457,608 times
I find Kansas City to be prettier or to have prettier spots anyway, but it seems like it has more crime and corruption problems. If you want more of a big city feel though it'd be KC easy.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,172,553 times
It's not really a fair comparrison. KC will blow Wichita away. That's like comparing Wichita to Salina. KC has a lot more to offer. If you've lived in Wichita 2 years and haven't been to KC, you need to get out more. It's only 2 1/2 hours away. I like Wichita's size and lack of traffic. Wichita feels like a town. KC is a major city. It has all the major stores and restaurants. It's also hillier, greener and less windy.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
It's not really a fair comparrison. KC will blow Wichita away. That's like comparing Wichita to Salina. KC has a lot more to offer. If you've lived in Wichita 2 years and haven't been to KC, you need to get out more. It's only 2 1/2 hours away. I like Wichita's size and lack of traffic. Wichita feels like a town. KC is a major city. It has all the major stores and restaurants. It's also hillier, greener and less windy.
It makes sense. KC seems like a much much better city based on what I've heard and read. I don't know why I moved to Wichita over all the much better options in the midwest, but I plan on making a move at some point before the end of the year. I've been out of work for alittle while anyway, so there's nothing "tying me down" here. Besides, I could probably find more and better opportunities in KC in my field (Electronics Engineering) anyway. I prefer large, urban, major cities with some grit, but the trick is finding a good one that's affordable, and KC seems to fit those conditions quite well. Once I make it up there, I'll probably be asking why anyone would choose Wichita over KC.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:08 PM

404 posts, read 591,400 times
I've never been to Wichita even though it is in Kansas, so I don't think it would be fair of me to say Wichita.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,706,777 times
There are suburbs of KC that have more going on than Wichita.

Wichita is a fine town, but it really does not compare to KC in any way other than some of the KC area is in the same state.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,172,553 times
If you prefer urban, KC has some very cool and affordable lofts downtown. The plaza is very nice. I noticed when you get north of downtown it gets very spread out. With the exception of Chicago, cities in this part of the world are not that condensed. I like KC a lot. Other than a whole foods market, there is nothing I need for day to day living that Wichita doesn't have. I'm not from Wichita and don't plan on staying here but I think the city is very unfairily criticized.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 AM

9 posts, read 37,160 times
I was raised in Wichita, moved to KC after college and lived there for 12 yrs. I then returned to Wichita and am very content and happy here. KC, to me was too large and too much traffic. I bought my house in Delano District 14 yrs ago and feel very safe and content here. To me Wichita is much nicer, cleaner, and safer. I seldom even lock my doors unless I'm going out of town. I've never had any problems here. A funny thing, when I bought my house here the people I bought from didn't have a lock on the back door. At the closing they gave me a new deadbolt lock still in the packaging for the back door. They said they had it for several yrs but never got it put on. After 7 yrs of the lock sitting in a closet my brother came for a visit and installed it for me. I guess I've been lucky compared to some posters, as I've never had anything bad happen here. I grew up in Rolling Hills and my mother who's 67 still lives there. She has never locked her doors, and leaves the key in the ignition when she goes to Dillons or Walmart. I've asked her if she isn't worried the car will get stolen. She always says "Heavens no". She also tells me the reason she never takes the key out of the ignition is because she's afraid she might lose it. Ha

Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM

996 posts, read 1,888,535 times
Wichita.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 AM

Well, I finally made the move to Kansas City, MO, and so far I've been very very impressed with the city. There's still alot of areas that I haven't seen yet, but I'll have plenty of time to explore everything. As I predicted I would do, I have questioned myself why I chose to move to Wichita in the first place. Some of you were right on the money with some of your comments, there really is NO comparison at all between the two cities. Kansas City, MO is a REAL city while Wichita is just a suburban-like town with absolutely NOTHING going on. Alot of the pictures and videos I watched of KCMO really don't do the city much justice. It really is a very beautiful city, especially with the exquisite architecture, the very hilly topography (sort of reminds me of San Francisco), and there's lots and lots going on. I've moved around alot in the last 4 years, but this is it. I've found my new home here in Kansas City, MO (and this is coming from someone who has lived in Philadelphia, Washington, DC, and Los Angeles for extended periods of time.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City