Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following are best fitted to be the capital of North America?
Chicago 14 17.28%
Toronto 15 18.52%
Mexico City 7 8.64%
Los Angeles 11 13.58%
Vancouver 1 1.23%
Atlanta 3 3.70%
Montreal 1 1.23%
Boston 2 2.47%
Miami 0 0%
Washington DC 23 28.40%
San Francisco 2 2.47%
Philadelphia 2 2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:32 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,258,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
DC = Capital of US.. therefore since US > World, then definitely US > NA, so DC.

^^^ I'd assume that's been the thought process for a majority of the voters.
I've noticed that myself. That was part of my reason for not voting an American city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 AM

793 posts, read 1,445,243 times
Top 3:

- Infrastructure: 1. DC 2. Chicago 3. Toronto
- Location (is it a hub of its region or not, is it centrally located or not, what advantage does it have to the entire continent of North America by its location): 1. DC 2. Mexico City 3. Atlanta
- Economy (sheer mass of economic output, is it large enough to show a powerful city, doesn't have to be the highest though): 1. LA 2. Chicago 3. Mexico City
- Education (what are some of the top ranking higher ed schools?): 1. Boston 2. SF 3. Chicago
- History (what is the historical significance of this city to USA first and then to North America as a whole to deem it the title): 1. Boston 2. Philly 3. Mexico City
- Diversity (both racially and ethnically, does it represent the North American view of a melting pot?): 1. Toronto 2. SF 3. Miami
- Port activities (could be airport, sea port, interstates, trains, anything along those lines and its role in North America): 1. LA 2. Chicago 3. Atlanta
- Good venues (parks, diverse collection of outstanding restaurants, musical significance (not just one genre), sports stadiums): 1. Chicago 2. LA 3. Mexico City
- Culture (do you feel this city signifies American culture? This is a subjective question to each individual poster): 1. Mexico City 2. Boston 3. Montreal
- Amenities offered in the city (shopping, what there is to do, museums, art galleries, music places, nightclubs, bars, whatever that can fit in this category for amenities offered): 1. LA 2. Chicago 3. Mexico City

So we have:

Mexico City: 6
Chicago: 6
LA: 4
Boston: 3
DC: 2
Toronto: 2
SF: 2
Philly: 1
Miami: 1
Montreal: 1

So I voted for Mexico City.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,392,168 times
Great post...I agree with pretty much everything with the exception of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Criteria (I am only going to answer this in my opinion and what I think the best of them all is):
- Infrastructure: Chicago & Toronto (they are the best in this), then Boston, Mexico City, Washington DC, Philadelphia
Definitely agree with the choice of Chi-town...especially since the entire South Side already has infrastructure in place, just no one living there. Having the capital there would change that for obvious reasons.

You may want to take Boston off that list though haha, our mass transit is good but our roads are horrendous (both in planning & condition).

Quote:
- Education (what are some of the top ranking higher ed schools?): Boston & San Francisco (they are the best in this), then Toronto, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC
I think you may be selling your hometown a bit short here. Chicago has two Top 30 institutions in the world (#8, 26), Toronto only has 1 (#29) as does Los Angeles (#9). I think you could bump Chi-town to #3 behind Boston & the Bay. I also think you could push Philly to #4, with Toronto #5 and Los Angeles #6.

Quote:
My overall choice
Quote:
: Chicago
Who I think is the best competitor for my choice of city: Toronto
I agree with Chicago 100%...not sure about Toronto.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 PM

614 posts, read 1,756,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
Mexico City, the largest city in the Americas. It's also coming up on its 700 years.
=shi*hole

Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,546,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
=shi*hole
Have you been there before? I was blown away by how cool Mexico City is, and you will not find a better culinary destination from top to bottom anywhere else in the world. Especially considering that dining at a white tablecloth restaurant run by a world-famous chef probably won't cost much more than $100 per person, if that.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,777,838 times
I have always thought of New York as the capital of english speaking NA and Mexico City as the capital of spanish speaking NA (if not Latin America). Since NYC is off the board I picked Mexico City. What Mexico City lacks in diversity it has in history and culture. The history that NYC lacks behind in history to Mexico City it has in economy and diversity.

Dallas does have a central location but it is not an option and falls a bit short in other aspects. LA is also a really good candidate. Chicago is in a good location if USA and Canada is what you consider NA.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:17 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,131,349 times
YAWWWNNNNN once again. The same cities over and over and over.

lol

Old 09-11-2010, 02:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,716,978 times
It was a tie between Toronto and Chicago.I finally pick Chicago due to a higher GDP i think.Not to mention corporate strength.
Motorola
Boeing

Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 AM

11,327 posts, read 20,245,100 times
I have to go with Los Angeles.

New York City and Los Angeles have always been Yin & Yang to me.

Washington D.C. & Mexico City were close though.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,258,914 times
I think the best candidates are Montreal, Chicago, Mexico City, LA, DC and Toronto. Each city has a strong case for why it could be the capital. I like Mexico City for Spanish NA, Montreal for French NA, and Chicago for English NA. I think Miami and Toronto probably embody all three components but I think Miami's location is relatively isolated, and Chicago outshines Toronto IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City