U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Minnesota vs. Texas: Upper Midwest vs. Western South
Minnesota 36 37.11%
Texas 58 59.79%
Neither 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:58 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,917,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
You forgot Vidor. Back in the day, my Dad had to go down South for a trip and happened to get a flat tire in the area. A cop drove by and told him and his friends better get their [you know what] out of there if they knew what was good for them. Isn't Vidor still a de-facto sundown town?
the point is that there is probably racism everywhere.... and there certainly are areas around texas where racism seems to run the place. but you can't single out any state and discredit them for some prick of a cop who threatened your dad, especially when it's "back in the day". what kind of logic is that?

i've never been to vidor, paris, jasper or any other hick town that you probably have in mind. and i don't think that judging an entire state because of some hillbilly nonsense is quite the accurate way to assess other states. this is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 01:00 PM

687 posts, read 812,364 times
Progressiveness - Minnesota. Outside of the major cities, Texas is not very progressive (although Minnesota does claim perhaps the nuttiest member of Congress--Michelle Bachmann).

Economy - Texas. A strong and diversified economy.

Culture - I prefer Texas culture because it's an interesting blend of several cultures. It's a culture that mixes many of the positive aspects of western, southern and Hispanic cultures.

Music - I really don't know much about Minnesota music. My feelings on Texas music are mixed. I think Austin and its live music scene give Texas the edge here.

Weather - Texas. No contest. I don't care if its over 100 for 30 days in a row, it beats Minnesota winters.

Scenery - Texas again. Whether you want deserts, coastlines, prairies, canyons, mountains, forests, or anything in between, it's all here.

Cities - As far as variety goes, Texas wins this one too.

Rural areas - Probably Minnesota. Rural Texas is too conservative for my liking.

Education - Minnesota, but not by much. Texas doesn't have a great record on early education and I think Minnesota's is better. However, Texas does have some of the best centers for higher learning anywhere.

Safety - Minnesota. Texas has too many areas where the crime rates are way too high.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,223,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's because there city limits are small and most black communties are near the core. The overall area does not have a large black population though.
Quote:
Yeah and that's because they have never really had a large black population. It's easy to sit here and speak about tolerance in MN, but it would be a different story if tons of blacks started moving there.
There are over 207,000 blacks in the Twin Cities area. Are you saying that once that number reaches 500,000 or 1,000,000, then tolerance issues will arise???

Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 PM

4,912 posts, read 2,444,153 times
Quote:
That's because there city limits are small and most black communties are near the core. The overall area does not have a large black population though.
The largest county in the state, Hennepin, is only 11% black (greatest black population in the state) and is 25% "persons of color." That demographic has grown by 38% since 2000, compared to the national average of 24%.

Demographics - Context Measures - Minnesota Compass

Old 09-10-2010, 01:02 PM

967 posts, read 941,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
the point is that there is probably racism everywhere.... and there certainly are areas around texas where racism seems to run the place. but you can't single out any state and discredit them for some prick of a cop who threatened your dad, especially when it's "back in the day". what kind of logic is that?

i've never been to vidor, paris, jasper or any other hick town that you probably have in mind. and i don't think that judging an entire state because of some hillbilly nonsense is quite the accurate way to assess other states. this is ridiculous.
I dunno. It could be the many years that I lived in the Dallas area (and the travels that I did) that "colored" my impressions of the state.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:07 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,340,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
There are over 207,000 blacks in the Twin Cities area. Are you saying that once that number reaches 500,000 or 1,000,000, then tolerance issues will arise???
The problem is people are speaking on racism in Texas based off events that took place years ago; with Jasper and Paris being the msot recent. The black communties in MN are fairly new compared to the black areas in Texas which started growing in a time when the country was more ignorant and less tolerable about minorities.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The problem is people are speaking on racism in Texas based off events that took place years ago; with Jasper and Paris being the msot recent. The black communties in MN are fairly new compared to the black areas in Texas which started growing in a time when the country was more ignorant and less tolerable about minorities.
Blacks have been in Minnesota since the 1800's. Hardly "new"

Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,340,733 times
Quote:
Blacks have been in Minnesota since the 1800's. Hardly "new"
Yes because I'm sure the black communities in MN rivaled that of the black communities in the south in the 1800s.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,917,367 times
Quote:
I dunno. It could be the many years that I lived in the Dallas area (and the travels that I did) that "colored" my impressions of the state.
I don't care whether you like Minnesota over Texas or not. That's not my contention. But it seems like you are undermining Texas by calling out on its racism. I've lived here the majority of my life and I've never faced any racism in any big city whether it be dallas, houston, san antonio, or austin, except for that one drunk guy that called me a "w******" because i didn't sell him alcohol.

I don't know what your experiences were but I doubt that you seriously faced the racism that your dad faced when he was younger. And I'm not trying to downplay any type of racism either.... I just think that you're exaggerating a bit with Dallas "racism". I bet there's as much racism there as there is in any other city. I don't know... feel free to disagree but Dallas has quite the black and hispanic population. It's a very diverse city so if you've found racism there.... I feel sorry for you.

I'd like to view on the positive aspects and focus on those things other than trashing other states and making people feel "less" for choosing those states. I like to view on the positive notes of a city or a state and like to hear suggestions from other people so that someday I can choose to visit.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Yes because I'm sure the black communities in MN rivaled that of the black communities in the south in the 1800s.
I never said anything about the size of the population. I was referring to your false argument that blacks coming to Minnesota was a recent phenomenon.

And if you ask me, people are still pretty damn ignorant and barely tolerant when it comes to minorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City