U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State is the Best?
California 192 67.13%
Texas 94 32.87%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,235,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Economy - TX as a a whole
Quality of living - Prefer CA living (not the cost but everything else)
Weather - CA
Sports - Draw - could argue both ways
Cities - CA hands down
Diversity - Close but edge to CA
Coast of Living - TX
Better state future Plannings - Probably TX

I voted CA - as i would much prefer to live in CA over TX

Texas will likely not pass CA in population

And no the food is not better, seriously
the food may not be better as a whole.... but the mexican food in texas is way better. i know this... i'm mexican. houston kills any part of california with their taco stands. el paso has just about the best style of mexican food there is, with their new mexico and tex-mex influences. not to mention san antonio's tex-mex galore! and last but not least, california's raw and undercooked flower tortillas on those "mission burritos," commonly used on the Chipotle burritos, are not a mexican thing at all.

i'd also like to say that for the record, i did not very much enjoy the fried shrimp from san francisco's fisherman's wharf. if anything there's a good old little place in Houston that serves much better shrimp that is actually less breaded. the place is called Connie's Seafood.... great shrimp cocktails, fried shrimp (not too breaded), uhmazzing fried rice!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:58 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,797,404 times
There are great restaurants and food in Texas and I absolutely love TexMex! Houston has some pretty good places and I think is probably a top ten restaurant city. But the diversity and quality in CA is likely the best state in the country in this department.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You don't know Texas than; Texas takes a backseat to no one in the food department.
if anything maybe it's because Texas doesn't have it's own style of making pizza's or reinventing other people's food. as is the case with california.... think California Pizza Kitchen (a combo of italian and asian cuisine, with a *hint of mexican styles blended in here and there).

Texas copied nobody in the food department.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
There are great restaurants and food in Texas and I absolutely love TexMex! Houston has some pretty good places and I think is probably a top ten restaurant city. But the diversity and quality in CA is likely the best state in the country in this department.
I agree that it may be more "diverse" but whether it's better or not... that's probably debatable and subjective, to say the least.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 AM

21,945 posts, read 30,797,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I agree that it may be more "diverse" but whether it's better or not... that's probably debatable and subjective, to say the least.

Honestly there is no answer for the restaurants, quality and diversity in SF alone let alone the rest of CA anywhere in Texas. There really is great food everywhere but high end food in CA is really the best as a state in the country. Saying this is not slight to TX at all, I quite enjoy TexMex, steaks, and many restaurants but I really dont see how TX would be superior to CA overall in this category

Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Honestly there is no answer for the restaurants, quality and diversity in SF alone let alone the rest of CA anywhere in Texas. There really is great food everywhere but high end food in CA is really the best as a state in the country. Saying this is not slight to TX at all, I quite enjoy TexMex, steaks, and many restaurants but I really dont see how TX would be superior to CA overall in this category
i agree with you that california beats texas in the high-end department.... even the spanish chef considered to be the best in the world has a restaurant in LA. there's no doubt that CA has some of the top contending restaurants in the world, mind you.

but i'm a simple fella that loves hanging with my primos.... i don't do that fancy stuff. can't afford it.... texas defintely caters with variety to the lower and middle class. the food here doesn't ask anything from anyone.

but i will contend that san francisco isn't entirely great on the food department. (maybe just in the high end restaurants.) but seafood, i'd prefer houston over san francisco's.... mexican food, i'd prefer houston over san francisco's. asian food, i'll take san francisco. bbq, i'll take texas by a milestone. italian food, i prefer san francisco. salvadorean food, dallas has plenty to go around(ok, california does too)! but overall... i think this is highly subjective and debatable when we're not talking about high-end cuisine.

afterall, you gotta remember that texas has been ruled by six flags.... it's a given that there will be unique food influences here. i'll give california the upper hand on wines though.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
They don't have the southern style, creole/cajun, TexMex and more. So Texas does offer many things CA doesn't and vice versa. I do think it's subjective, but the way you made it sound seemed like California completely demolishes TX in food.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM

6,809 posts, read 9,368,651 times
Its hard to say when discussing food. Most people think of the semi-unique food a place offers like Tex-Mex, barbecue, Cajun or Boston seafood.

But you can make an argument that its more important to go by the quality and quantity of the restaurants in the state. And this is something most of us would have to guess at, because we have only seen a fraction of the restaurants that large states like California or Texas have to offer.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its hard to say when discussing food. Most people think of the semi-unique food a place offers like Tex-Mex, barbecue, Cajun or Boston seafood.

But you can make an argument that its more important to go by the quality and quantity of the restaurants in the state. And this is something most of us would have to guess at, because we have only seen a fraction of the restaurants that large states like California or Texas have to offer.
then maybe we shouldn't be discussing the food department at all until you've tried a handful of restaurants from either state. because there's a majority amount of people that do not visit these "quality" restaurants, much less visit the "quantity" of restaurants in the state. i just don't think it would be fair to the states like New Mexico, Arizona or Louisiana that have their own types of "semi-unique" foods but because of their lack of "quality" and "quantity" restaurants they go unnoticed.

I think if we're discussing food options here you definitely have to make mention of the tex-mex, bbq, cajun, or seafoods or types of regional cuisines etc. After all, it is what makes it diverse and eventually popular.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:13 AM

6,809 posts, read 9,368,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
then maybe we shouldn't be discussing the food department at all until you've tried a handful of restaurants from either state. because there's a majority amount of people that do not visit these "quality" restaurants, much less visit the "quantity" of restaurants in the state. i just don't think it would be fair to the states like New Mexico, Arizona or Louisiana that have their own types of "semi-unique" foods but because of their lack of "quality" and "quantity" restaurants they go unnoticed.

I think if we're discussing food options here you definitely have to make mention of the tex-mex, bbq, cajun, or seafoods or types of regional cuisines etc. After all, it is what makes it diverse and eventually popular.
Even if you tried a "handful of restaurants" in either of these large states, does not make you an expert on them. There are thousands of other restaurants in Texas or California you did not try.

Sorry, if you don't think it is fair to smaller states. That is just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City