U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:33 PM

235 posts, read 238,019 times

Advertisements

Whether one calls it "Coke" or not, the fact remains that Atlanta and most deep-South states are where Pepsi still does not have a significant market share. For many years the Atlanta market was the only one in the US where the Pepsi trio of restaurants -- KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell -- sold Coke products. And to this day, it is an understood reality that anyone employed by Coca-Cola caught consuming a Pepsi product -- even in the privacy of their own home -- is immediately terminated. Why take chances? Just ask for a Coke!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 PM

10,167 posts, read 16,686,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
Whether one calls it "Coke" or not, the fact remains that Atlanta and most deep-South states are where Pepsi still does not have a significant market share. For many years the Atlanta market was the only one in the US where the Pepsi trio of restaurants -- KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell -- sold Coke products. And to this day, it is an understood reality that anyone employed by Coca-Cola caught consuming a Pepsi product -- even in the privacy of their own home -- is immediately terminated. Why take chances? Just ask for a Coke!!!!
Here in Texas there is an old one liner that goes:

"Want a coke?"

"Yep, I'll have a Dr. Pepper"

Old 09-12-2010, 01:30 AM

4,111 posts, read 7,377,170 times
As a general rule of thumb, Midwesterners say POP! Except for the Saint Louis and Milwaukee area. Is this some kind of East or West Coast influence?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,539,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
the fact that st. louis is essentially the oldest major city in the midwest ties it intrinsically to the east. st. louis was an early trading center with philadelphia and baltimore long before chicago established itself as a commercial outpost for new york. founded in 1764, st. louis is older than the entire united states. that tells you something about its historic character.
Bingo!

St. Louis is likely the quirkiest city in the Midwest due to its age. Most people think Chicago is the oldest and most eastern styled city in the Midwest because of the skyscrapers and elevated rail, but anybody that has been to St. Louis knows its a sister to Cincinnati, cousin of Pittsburgh and a love child of Philadelphia and Baltimore. This can be seen in a lot of the architecture, culture, and even the traditional St. Louis accent. This is a very strange town.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:30 PM

2,548 posts, read 5,141,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Chill a bit. I wasn't doubting your word nor experience. As it is, I should have mentioned that yes, there are going to be anomalies all across the board. For instance, I know some folks in Texas who swear they never heard "coke" used as the generic for soft-drink. I find such almost impossible to believe, but I don't think they are lying about it! LOL
People in San Antonio say Coke in general for soda water. It's either soft drink or Soda. I never here Pop except from the transplants.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
Kinda interesting considering Pepsi originated in North Carolina...

As I recall from my old retail supermarket days, here in Texas, while Pepsi had a share, the serious rival came from Dr. Pepper. It originated in Texas, and for quite a few years was pretty much confined to the South so far as having any real sales. Later, its maket range expanded quite a bit, and became enough of an irritaing threat nationwide that the Coca-Cola people came out with Mr. Pibb.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
People in San Antonio say Coke in general for soda water. It's either soft drink or Soda. I never here Pop except from the transplants.
Yeah, soda-water and sody-pop are both terms I have heard in Texas, especially among older people.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM

8,278 posts, read 13,581,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Here in Texas there is an old one liner that goes:

"Want a coke?"

"Yep, I'll have a Dr. Pepper"
I have heard that exact same thing as a joke for Kentucky.

It drove me crazy when I lived down south, people using the terminology "coke" for everything. I worked in the service industry, it would get quite confusing when people would say things like "I want 3 cokes. 2 sprites and a Mr. Pibb." The southern folk who also spoke stupid knew what they wanted; but I didn't.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,542,438 times
The map seems very accurate, but the funny part is that there is actually a map for this.
Where does one find such a job?

Old 09-12-2010, 05:02 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,045,519 times
Well in terms of St. Louis and quirky culture, I am thinking it has to do with being near major cultural faultlines in the country. Other cities that are this way are similar in that regard and are also often near the Midwest/South cultural boundaries.

Also in terms of the what is said in the South, soda will always be preferred over pop there if the word coke is not used. I also do think at least in urban areas to start with coke is fading out in usage towards soda, part of that might be due to the Coca-Cola company having a large variety of beverages under its umbrella now.

As for why St. Louis and Milwakee deviates from its surrounding areas I am not really sure. One guess is that 100 or so years ago there might have been local brands who used the word soda and it stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or